Quick Question Thread

13 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

My other QQ for today is :

My washing machine is causing the safety switch in the fuse box to trip - is it a washing machine engineer or an electrician I need to call out?

@Flybhoy (magee) Stirling's 8th best plumber will sort this oot.

Think we've had something similar to this before. Easy and fairly cheap to sort it yourself, just tie up or tape the cut-out switch so it can't trip. There may be a slight smell of burning but that will soon disappear.

That's what grimbo thought

14 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

My washing machine is causing the safety switch in the fuse box to trip - is it a washing machine engineer or an electrician I need to call out?

If you are having tripping problems, consult your dealer for a better batch of tabs.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

I never accept any less than 6th best. #ivegotstandards

Your machine is fucked.

Water making contact with electrics somewhere inside machine, unless its under warrantly look for a new one.

You're a disaster zone. Step away from the machinery.

11 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

It's one of those pain-in-the-ass sealed efforts, that you can only change the fuse on. Changed fuse, no solution.

Almost certainly your machine needs the coup.  To double-check I'd use an extension cable and plug it in to a difference circuit.  Your distribution panel (not fuse box) should tell you which circuits are 'different' for you to try.

18 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Your machine is fucked.

Water making contact with electrics somewhere inside machine, unless its under warrantly look for a new one.

If there was a leak causing this would there not be a fairly obvious puddle on the floor?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

If there was a leak causing this would there not be a fairly obvious puddle on the floor?

It would depend on the leak rate.

If it were a drip over a long period of time the water would evaporate, similar to an overflow on a fridge which uses the heat of the compressor to evaporate condensation.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Almost certainly your machine needs the coup.  To double-check I'd use an extension cable and plug it in to a difference circuit.  Your distribution panel (not fuse box) should tell you which circuits are 'different' for you to try.

Tried that too - connected to a socket upstairs, and the upstairs circuit tripped as soon as I switched it on.

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

Tried that too - connected to a socket upstairs, and the upstairs circuit tripped as soon as I switched it on.

A fucked bike and a fucked washing machine?  The perfect time for you to be Scotland's next Graeme Obree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Obree

This could be the birth of a legend...