Quick Question Thread

8 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just back in the house and realised that I've got an empty for the first time in donkey's years. I forget, what do I do?  :saddam

Move house before they come back.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 21:16, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Anyone else ever used Amazon's customer service online chat feature? I'm curious if you actually get to talk to a real person, because I swear the guy I just talked to was a robot, albeit a robot called Akshey. Which is suspiciously close to ASCII, thinking about it.

Me: I'd like to arrange redelivery of a parcel, and have it left with a neighbour, if possible.
AmazonBot: Hello Fat Dave. I am sorry that you want to arrange redelivery of a parcel. I understand that you would like to have it left with a neighbour if possible.
<keyboard silence>
Me: Could the driver leave it at #69 if I'm not in, please?
AB:I see that you would like to have the driver leave it at #69 if you are not in, Fat Dave.
<keyboard silence>
Me: Uhh...thanks for your help?
AB: Please close the chat window and complete the feedback survey copypaste flowchart blurb.

Is there some kind of reverse Turing test to determine if the artificial intelligence you're talking to is a human in disguise? Are Amazon preparing to unleash a Dundee warehouse full of Terminators on Scotland? Most importantly, am I ever going to get my fucking parcel?  :(

Dundonian Terminators- that sounds a bit scary.

"Eh'll be beck.... fur a ingin ane ‘n a'......"

only one thing could save the human race... Biggie's Smudger! :lol:

43 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Which transformer is this meant to be ?

Could be any of the ones in the film. They all look like a smashed mirror viewed through a kaleidoscope.

I got my parcel in the end, BTW - I know you were all worried. Kudos to ASCII and his team of murderbots.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave
FilmS plural. Except for the Eighties cartoon, of course.

41 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Could be any of the ones in the film. They all look like a smashed mirror viewed through a kaleidoscope.

I got my parcel in the end, BTW - I know you were all worried. Kudos to ASCII and his team of murderbots.

I was more interested in what you did with your empty. You can leave out the umpteen wanks.

Just now, Dee Man said:

I was more interested in what you did with your empty. You can leave out the umpteen wanks.

As per your stipulation, here's the complete rundown:

Staircase etiquette:  You walk down the stairs and see a guy coming up along the same side.  You're now 1m apart and about to collide, playing chicken as neither of you seem to be standing down in this mental battle of masculinity.  What happens next...

(I won today's encounter btw, possibly because I'm taller, was moving faster and didn't make eye contact)   

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If you arent both walking on the left then you are both fannies. HTH

I was indeed on the left, him on the right.  LHS holding the handrail as drilled in from offshore work regulations.;)

32 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Staircase etiquette:  You walk down the stairs and see a guy coming up along the same side.  You're now 1m apart and about to collide, playing chicken as neither of you seem to be standing down in this mental battle of masculinity.  What happens next...

(I won today's encounter btw, possibly because I'm taller, was moving faster and didn't make eye contact)   

Whoever's going upstairs has the right of way. Bully.

6 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

How many years worth of p60s do you keep?

Didn't you ask this a few months back?

Five/six years was the standard, I believe. It's unreasonable for anyone to ask you for something further back. If it worries you that much, scan them and keep a couple of digital backups somewhere. No doubt employers will switch to sending out digital copies more as time goes on anyway.

Might come in handy when you hit retirement age if the DWP (or their inevitable successor) decide you have gaps in NI contributions. Or, in my case, just to have a cry about how little you've earned over the course of your usefulness.

Didn't you ask this a few months back?
Five/six years was the standard, I believe. It's unreasonable for anyone to ask you for something further back. If it worries you that much, scan them and keep a couple of digital backups somewhere. No doubt employers will switch to sending out digital copies more as time goes on anyway.
Might come in handy when you hit retirement age if the DWP (or their inevitable successor) decide you have gaps in NI contributions. Or, in my case, just to have a cry about how little you've earned over the course of your usefulness.

Easier just keeping the originals - not like they take up much room. I've got all of mine back to 1980 - never needed them yet.

I think the tax rules are current year plus 6 previous should be kept.

6 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

At a loose end in London until 5. Any suggestions?

If the weather's ok have wander around Greenwich and find a pub by the river. The pedestrian tunnel to the Isle of Dogs is quite fun too.