2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

And a “what what old chap” at the end.

And some reference to fuzzy wuzzys.

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Boris Johnson?

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Of course, what what old chap.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

.. and mention that in the good old days of the Empire when Egypt was under British rule we could have had a quiet words with these chaps and had it all sorted out in a jiffy.  Tally ho! 

50 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

Always a good idea to take a controlled drug into a country that they're banned in.

No sympathy for the ignoramous.

"We go over there, show no respect for their laws"...

Edited by Boghead ranter

The penalty for supplying Tramadol in the UK is up to 14 years.
http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/tramadol

All of a sudden 3 years seems like a pretty good deal, yet our government is criticising a sentence that our own law system would also dish out had it happened on our shores?

Seems to me like it's all about prison conditions which only ever get condemned the second a Brit is treated the same as tens of thousands of others in the country they happened to break the law in. Also always makes me cringe when the papers write things like "forced to use a hole in the ground as a toilet", when this is standard fare for over a billion people worldwide who have never used Western-style toilet seats. Some people need to get off their high horse.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

All of a sudden 3 years seems like a pretty good deal, yet our government is criticising a sentence that our own law system would also dish out had it happened on our shores?

Seems to me like it's all about prison conditions which only ever get condemned the second a Brit is treated the same as tens of thousands of others in the country they happened to break the law in. Also always makes me cringe when the papers write things like "forced to use a hole in the ground as a toilet", when this is standard fare for over a billion people worldwide who have never used Western-style toilet seats. Some people need to get off their high horse.

They'd certainly need to in order to use those toilets......

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ah, the "daft" wee lassies defense being used again. Where did we hear this used fairly recently involving some Scottish girl, who if I remember correctly, turned out to be guilty as sin?

Family fairly clutching at straws with the whole 'she could be murdered in jail so you can't send there there at all' comments though. If it's something that could potentially have carried a 25 year sentence then 3 years seems like a pretty good deal that reeks of leniency given the evidence shown imo. Tbf though, the thought of spending 3 years in Egypt in general would drive me around the bend as I have nothing but contempt for the place.

The media seethe will be interesting when the Egyptian authorities reject the appeal and bump up the sentence Pistorius-style though.

The authorities should put the prisoners to hard labour - build a few new Pyramids, the way it was originally done. No cranes or bulldozers, just overseers with big whips.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ah, the "daft" wee lassies defense being used again. Where did we hear this used fairly recently involving some Scottish girl, who if I remember correctly, turned out to be guilty as sin?

Family fairly clutching at straws with the whole 'she could be murdered in jail so you can't send there there at all' comments though. If it's something that could potentially have carried a 25 year sentence then 3 years seems like a pretty good deal that reeks of leniency given the evidence shown imo. Tbf though, the thought of spending 3 years in Egypt in general would drive me around the bend as I have nothing but contempt for the place.

The media seethe will be interesting when the Egyptian authorities reject the appeal and bump up the sentence Pistorius-style though.

They're obviously more concerned about her demise than the probability of her twatt being played like a banjo for the next 1095 days.

So you're saying get her extradited back to the UK and jail her for 14 years?
I'd be up for that.

The dilemma: Would you rather 3 years in an Egyptian hovel with no bed / space and the occasional alleged beating, 14 years in a relatively luxurious British prison, or a return to Hull?

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The dilemma: Would you rather 3 years in an Egyptian hovel with no bed / space and the occasional alleged beating, 14 years in a relatively luxurious British prison, or a return to Hull?

Egyptian linen is absolutely marvelous, whatever is she complaining about?

My dotty Canadian aunt has sent me a Xmas parcel that's not arrived. She sent it about 2 months ago. She has a tracking number from where she sent it but that's pretty much useless when you phone up. She has urged me to phone the Post Office to find out where it is. Every time I phone them, I get through to an automated line. There doesn't seem to be any way of speaking to a real person. I'm trying to phone the Glasgow Victoria Road post office to no avail ... there doesn't seem to be any way to ask for a real person. Any ideas?

My dotty Canadian aunt has sent me a Xmas parcel that's not arrived. She sent it about 2 months ago. She has a tracking number from where she sent it but that's pretty much useless when you phone up. She has urged me to phone the Post Office to find out where it is. Every time I phone them, I get through to an automated line. There doesn't seem to be any way of speaking to a real person. I'm trying to phone the Glasgow Victoria Road post office to no avail ... there doesn't seem to be any way to ask for a real person. Any ideas?

From my experience its the sending company you need to chase. Can you not go on their website and put the tracking number in?

Just now, Dindeleux said:

From my experience its the sending company you need to chase. Can you not go on their website and put the tracking number in?

Cheers Dindeleux. I've asked my aunt for more info but she's a bit of a technophobe so it might be a struggle. This is the same woman who, to this day, has 8 pictures of herself gawping at her webcam on her FB newsfeed, in an attempt to find one she likes. 

Cheers Dindeleux. I've asked my aunt for more info but she's a bit of a technophobe so it might be a struggle. This is the same woman who, to this day, has 8 pictures of herself gawping at her webcam on her FB newsfeed, in an attempt to find one she likes. 

Aye she's sent me a few photos of her gawping before.