Quick Question Thread

27 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

If you took out a credit card and ran it up, then took out a second credit card and used it to pay off the first, then the first to pay off the second etc etc on and on, could you stay ahead of the debt, meaning all your puchases on the two cards were free, until you inevitably peg it and the debt dies with you? Would it only work for one lot of purchases ie. could you only spend the limit of the first card that first time, then the rest of the time just be endlessly transferring the same amount of debt back and forth between the cards to avoid paying for the initial splurge?

^^^^^ Philip Hammond found

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I assumed Sweet Peter meant paying off a card by using a credit card to make the payment rather than getting the company to transfer the debt.

If not, f**k knows. Im a genius at most things but not credit cards.

That's what I meant, yes. There's a line in the movie Lord of War where Nicholas Cage narrates that he's "mortgaged to the hilt, using one credit card to pay off another" and it got my tiny mind wondering. Can the banks / credit card lenders be beaten?

28 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

If you took out a credit card and ran it up, then took out a second credit card and used it to pay off the first, then the first to pay off the second etc etc on and on, could you stay ahead of the debt, meaning all your puchases on the two cards were free, until you inevitably peg it and the debt dies with you? Would it only work for one lot of purchases ie. could you only spend the limit of the first card that first time, then the rest of the time just be endlessly transferring the same amount of debt back and forth between the cards to avoid paying for the initial splurge?

If you clear the balance off a card, the credit card company inevitably writes to you to say they have increased your balance. You could probably quite easily take out a few cards, shuffle money about on them and live it up in style before bumping them. You strike me as a chap who can hold their own and put the fear into folk. When the chap from Mastercard turns up looking for his £30k, open the door in your mankiest wife-beater, tell them to do one and that will likely be the end of the matter. 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

If you clear the balance off a card, the credit card company inevitably writes to you to say they have increased your balance. You could probably quite easily take out a few cards, shuffle money about on them and live it up in style before bumping them. You strike me as a chap who can hold their own and put the fear into folk. When the chap from Mastercard turns up looking for his £30k, open the door in your mankiest wife-beater, tell them to do one and that will likely be the end of the matter. 

All my wives are equally manky.

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Should the West end of Glasgow be out of the road of the Uruk-Hai march on Saturday? Thinking some of them might go along Dumbarton Road / argyle St at Finnieston into or out of town? 

They usually go along Dumbarton Road and along through Finneston into town.

So I've been told.

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Should the West end of Glasgow be out of the road of the Uruk-Hai march on Saturday? Thinking some of them might go along Dumbarton Road / argyle St at Finnieston into or out of town? 

Is this like a walking bus that bairns use to go to school?

41 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Why do Scottish learners of French always put on a ludicrous French accent when doing it?

Shame, as the Fife/Leith accent lends itself wonderfully. 

Funnily, just had a conversation with my French colleague about French equivalents of English phrases. 

We have "It's raining cats and dogs" ... they have "It's raining like a pissing cow". 

He didn't know if there was an equivalent for dog's bollocks / cat's pyjamas / bee's knees / mutt's nuts though. Any one know if there is one?

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Funnily, just had a conversation with my French colleague about French equivalents of English phrases. 

We have "It's raining cats and dogs" ... they have "It's raining like a pissing cow". 

He didn't know if there was an equivalent for dog's bollocks / cat's pyjamas / bee's knees / mutt's nuts though. Any one know if there is one?

The Brie's Knees