Quick Question Thread

I've bought a bottle of whisky for a friend from Sainsbury's using "click and collect" ... and I have a "collection" slot of 4.30-5.30 today in Sainsbury's in Darnley ... I can understand why you need to have a time allocated if stuff's getting delivered, but why the heck do I need to specify the exact hour I'm going to pick it up? Or to put it another way, if I rock up at 5.45pm today, will they have already chucked the bottle in the bin / tanned it to teach me a lesson?

I've bought a bottle of whisky for a friend from Sainsbury's using "click and collect" ... and I have a "collection" slot of 4.30-5.30 today in Sainsbury's in Darnley ... I can understand why you need to have a time allocated if stuff's getting delivered, but why the heck do I need to specify the exact hour I'm going to pick it up? Or to put it another way, if I rock up at 5.45pm today, will they have already chucked the bottle in the bin / tanned it to teach me a lesson?

At my local Asda, the click & collect stuff is in lockers outside the shop. Presumably you pick a time so they can use the locker for other folk if need be.
If your Sainsbury’s isn’t the same idea then f**k knows tbh

12 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

At my local Asda, the click & collect stuff is in lockers outside the shop. Presumably you pick a time so they can use the locker for other folk if need be.
If your Sainsbury’s isn’t the same idea then f**k knows tbh

Cheers. I think the only way to find out for sure is to turn up late deliberately and see what's happened. I shall report back with my findings in a couple of hours. 

Why do people 'click and collect' for something as basic as a single bottle of whisky when you need to go to the store anyway to pick the thing up?  Is this a rare 1875 Macallan cask strength being ordered in or something?  :unsure:  

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Why do people 'click and collect' for something as basic as a single bottle of whisky when you need to go to the store anyway to pick the thing up?  Is this a rare 1875 Macallan cask strength being ordered in or something?  :unsure:  

I'm not dignifying Tynierose's barbs with a response, but to answer your question ... it's a Caribbean Cask Dalsomethingorother (not sure, I don't drink whisky) They don't sell it in supermarkets but I searched for it online and Sainsbury's will get it in for you much cheaper than The Whisky Store or even Amazon. 

I appreciate that turning up late to pick it up might be cutting off my nose to spite my face somewhat, but if people don't ask questions then the human race will never advance as a species. 

If you can't be arsed going into the shop why don't you have it delivered?

I'm not dignifying Tynierose's barbs with a response, but to answer your question ... it's a Caribbean Cask Dalsomethingorother (not sure, I don't drink whisky) They don't sell it in supermarkets but I searched for it online and Sainsbury's will get it in for you much cheaper than The Whisky Store or even Amazon. 
I appreciate that turning up late to pick it up might be cutting off my nose to spite my face somewhat, but if people don't ask questions then the human race will never advance as a species. 
Is this like the milk cubes experiment.... because... that didnt really speak of a man trying to advance the species if we are being honest.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you can't be arsed going into the shop why don't you have it delivered?

Because it's cheaper to go and get it, plus I thought that if I just picked it up, I could turn up anytime I liked rather than being dictated to about when I pick up my shopping. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Is this like the milk cubes experiment.... because... that didnt really speak of a man trying to advance the species if we are being honest.

I'm man enough to admit that the experiment wasn't a resounding success but I'm pretty sure when Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, he didn't get it right first time. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've bought a bottle of whisky for a friend

8 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

if people don't ask questions then the human race will never advance as a species. 

1) Do you buy whisky for all your friends?

2) If the answer to #1 is yes and you plan on coming to the rearranged midweek Brechin v Stranraer game (like a f***ing mentalist), will you be my friend?   :wub:

1) Do you buy whisky for all your friends?
2) If the answer to #1 is yes and you plan on coming to the rearranged midweek Brechin v Stranraer game (like a f***ing mentalist), will you be my friend?   :wub:
If he buysbwhisky for all his pals then he probably has a decent bit of coin. Much as I see where you are heading here, wouldnt you rather we just leathered him and took his wallet?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If he buysbwhisky for all his pals then he probably has a decent bit of coin. Much as I see where you are heading here, wouldnt you rather we just leathered him and took his wallet?

Despite the SW Scotland upbringing, he doesn't strike me as the 1690 PIN type.  Which is a shame in a way.

[mention=29470]SlipperyP[/mention] ask [mention=11219]King Kebab[/mention] for his old hard drive and put it in the laptop.
Do Thailandites like octopus?
Ah, the glory days. Shame his quality got gazumped by the sheer quantity of bootsisme?

I don't actually have a SW Scotland upbringing ... I'm from Glasgow and have never lived anywhere near Stranraer (well Belfast is quite close I suppose) ... as a kid, I decided to redress the balance of all the people in Stranraer supporting Glasgow-based teams. 

And it's the guy's 50th birthday - I wouldn't be doing it for any run of the mill birthdays. I'd be happy to do the same for you chaps, but I appreciate that could open the floodgates and cripple me financially. 

Anyway, I better dash ... whilst I want to be "fashionably late" for my collection, I don't wish to be rudely so. 

17 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I don't actually have a SW Scotland upbringing ... I'm from Glasgow and have never lived anywhere near Stranraer (well Belfast is quite close I suppose) ... as a kid, I decided to redress the balance of all the people in Stranraer supporting Glasgow-based teams.

Similar here.  I moved far away from Brechin when I was 4, but somebody needs to support them I suppose.

17 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

And it's the guy's 50th birthday - I wouldn't be doing it for any run of the mill birthdays.

Well, I believe that this concludes our conversation.   F*** off and get your collection then. 

I'm sure P+B is agog with eagerness at the outcome of my experiment, and people have probably delayed going out until they hear news. 

It was a bit of a damp squib tbh. There is a van sitting under a "Click and collect" canopy. By the time I discovered all this, I was half an hour late but it wasn't a problem. I asked the guy what would happen if I'd been even later ... he said he was there for another hour and then he'd have just left it in the store. 

So there you are then. Don't let the supermarkets dictate to you when you can turn up for your messages. 

I'm sure P+B is agog with eagerness at the outcome of my experiment, and people have probably delayed going out until they hear news. 
It was a bit of a damp squib tbh. There is a van sitting under a "Click and collect" canopy. By the time I discovered all this, I was half an hour late but it wasn't a problem. I asked the guy what would happen if I'd been even later ... he said he was there for another hour and then he'd have just left it in the store. 
So there you are then. Don't let the supermarkets dictate to you when you can turn up for your messages. 
Will you do one of those "making of" documentaries to go along with this?