Quick Question Thread

On 16/01/2019 at 17:48, ICTJohnboy said:

Mr & Mrs Johnboy are off to Dublin for the weekend thanks to a special offer Ryanair flight from Manchester which is working out at less than £40 return in total.

Anyone got any suggestions for pubs worth a visit? We both love Irish traditional music.

How did that go?

On 22/01/2019 at 12:20, philpy said:

Edinburgh to Montrose - up the a90 after Dundee or along the coast road via Arbroath??

Coast road for me.  Bit more interesting and hardly any time difference.

A92 is dual carriageway from Dundee to Arbroath.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

How did that go?

It went very well, TC, and thanks for the tip on Mulligans.

Really enjoyed that pub, lots of character and charm - got into some decent discussions with some of the regulars there on Brexit. I mentioned on another thread that so many Irish regard themselves as Irish first and foremost, but are also happy to claim to be "Proud Europeans". That's a phrase you won't often hear expressed in many English pubs.

One other pub that quickly became a favourite with me was O'Donnoghues, Merrion Row. Great impromptu music sessions, great craic, lovely Guinness, lovely Irish Stew served in a soup pot, with freshly baked bread. Guinness was also great in Mulligans - another thing I liked about that pub were notices saying : "Please do not use mobile phones in here"

All in all, we really enjoyed our weekend visit to Dublin - lovely friendly city, which appears to be prospering thanks to its membership of the EU. Absolutely no reason why Scotland couldn't do likewise.  I keep scanning the RyanAir website in search of future silly return flight offers from Manchester. Can't wait to get back there again.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

Anyone else ill?
Thumping sore head, general weakness, aches and pains, bit of a cough.
Took today off work, what's my chances of getting back tomorrow?
yeah sweating bullets, nose streaming and all cracked and disgusting plus a regularly dose of the shits. to make things worse the dog alls has the shits so is being a little bawbag

6 hours ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

Anyone else ill?

Have you had the flu before? Sounds like the onset of it. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll be bed bound all day tomorrow and feel like death. On the plus side, you won't be at work. 

10 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Are there swans in the Republic of Ireland?

And

Are are Irish people allowed to eat them?

Or did the Presidency take that privilege on as Head of State?

Now that you come to mention it, I never saw any during my weekend visit.

That probably answers your middle question. My guess would be they've been hunted to near extinction.

On 1/23/2019 at 09:42, ayrshire_nomad said:

Anyone else ill?

Had a bad dose of this three weeks ago, three days bed bound and not an enjoyable experience, but came through the other side with no interest in carrying on my 20 a day smoking habit.  The cough stayed for a few weeks and ended up getting a chest x-ray, sat in the waiting room waiting on the 'shadas on yer lungs' announcement after 35 years as a smoker. Came back perfectly clear, not a blemish on them but I do have pleurisy which I believed had been eradicated in the 17th century but no, i am full of it apparently.

2 minutes ago, johnthebaptistist said:

Had a bad dose of this three weeks ago, three days bed bound and not an enjoyable experience, but came through the other side with no interest in carrying on my 20 a day smoking habit.  The cough stayed for a few weeks and ended up getting a chest x-ray, sat in the waiting room waiting on the 'shadas on yer lungs' announcement after 35 years as a smoker. Came back perfectly clear, not a blemish on them but I do have pleurisy which I believed had been eradicated in the 17th century but no, i am full of it apparently.

Dose or the flu or even pleurisy? Should've worn your wellies...

On 23/01/2019 at 17:42, ayrshire_nomad said:

Anyone else ill?

How did you pull up?

Are you dead yet?

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I've always assumed they do this as a courtesy to other LGVs to let them know when their trailer is past them, so assume the ones that do it to cars are just not paying enough attention to realise they don't need to flash. Which is not very comforting.

This. But on 8MileBu's question, I've never seen a lorry do this to me. Are you driving something longer than a car? Maybe they were reacting to your "flash if you're horny" bumper sticker?

Edited by Swarley

This. But on 8MileBu's question, I've never seen a lorry do this to me. Are you driving something longer than a car? Maybe they were reacting to your "flash if you're horny" bumper sticker?

Nope, usually driving the work van which my boss made me remove the “flash if you’re horny” sticker from.

You don’t live in the U.K. anymore Swarley, right? I say this because overtaken lorry drivers flashing their lights I reckon I see almost every day, whether it’s me being flashed or other drivers.

See it happening all the time, I thought it was universally known what it meant. Normally it's night time if a lorry does it to me. No problem with them being over courteous tbh. FWIW, I'd rather a motorway full of lorry drivers than car drivers. They appear to be good c***s on the road.

See it happening all the time, I thought it was universally known what it meant. Normally it's night time if a lorry does it to me. No problem with them being over courteous tbh. FWIW, I'd rather a motorway full of lorry drivers than car drivers. The appear to be good c***s on the road.
Except the ones who begin an overtaking maneuvre at the bottom of a hill and take several miles of 55mph progress before making their way back to the inside lane, about 7 metres in front of what they were overtaking