Quick Question Thread

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Where's the best place to park for the SEC? 

If you don’t mind paying the Hyrdo car park is good in my limited experience. Got out no problem but pay in advance after parking instead of queuing at the pay station when you get back to the car. 

33 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Cheers Ruggy. 

And now another question...

Re mobile phones for kids....

Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent phone for an 8 year old?

The obvious questions are what are you looking for? Is the kid going to play games and distract themselves on it? Is there a program/app that the kids will just have to have? Are particular parental controls required of desired? Limited phone with a few preset numbers it can call, or whole hog?

There’s plenty of niche simplified or inexpensive devices, or there’s a full on regular phone, perhaps a previous generation or two. I’d also look into a brand/type that has a case like an Ottorbox Defender type…plastic case with silicon grappling surfaces/protection and a screen protector (integrated or separate). Some devices/phones don’t work well with or have rugged cases, you want a good case because it will get dropped.

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Where's the best place to park for the SEC? 

The southern half of Elliot Street gets you a 10 minute walk off the SEC campus and a head start to get back onto the M8. If using your satnav, G3 8EX

https://www.google.com/maps/place/144+Elliot+St,+Glasgow+G3+8EX/@55.8590884,-4.2814368,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x488846805e0af6bd:0x4ab97d3de5271b52!8m2!3d55.8590884!4d-4.2788619!16s%2Fg%2F11c3rsvb6_?entry=ttu

On 11/10/2023 at 13:37, Bairnardo said:

Cheers Ruggy. 

And now another question...

Re mobile phones for kids....

Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent phone for an 8 year old?

For sec. Park around Yorkhill fire station. There's a walkway over the expressway.

My youngest and I are clumsy af and I've found Motorolas survive most things. Basic handset is £70/80 and does all my ten year old needs.

I have it connected to a family app that limits screen time, and can set limits on age context and time spent on individual apps. That's an android thing rather than motorla though.

8 minutes ago, RH33 said:

For sec. Park around Yorkhill fire station. There's a walkway over the expressway.

My youngest and I are clumsy af and I've found Motorolas survive most things. Basic handset is £70/80 and does all my ten year old needs.

I have it connected to a family app that limits screen time, and can set limits on age context and time spent on individual apps. That's an android thing rather than motorla though.

What's the name of the app? Sounds ideal

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What's the name of the app? Sounds ideal

Family Link, let's you keep eye on where they are too.

And possibly the best feature it plays a sound when they inevitably forget where they left it and they're storming round house in bad mood!!

12 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Family Link, let's you keep eye on where they are too.

And possibly the best feature it plays a sound when they inevitably forget where they left it and they're storming round house in bad mood!!

I think the phone itself matters less now, with such an app to do the shit I thought I needed the phone to do. Cheers