Quick Question Thread

6 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I'm looking to book tickets for Edinburgh Odeon cinema this Saturday but for some reason I can only see listings up until Friday, is this standard and they only do a few days in advance? 

Assuming it's the Lothian Road one ? You can book the Odeon at The Fort for Saturday.

Vue is a better cinema anyway imo.

38 minutes ago, Steelly said:

8 degrees is cold. I'm not an expert but going from 8 to 23 and then back to 8 cannot be good for the flat. 

I keep our heating at a constant 20 degrees during the day. Turn it down to 16 at night. Also it is good to let fresh air into your house.

36 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

If the temperature drops below the dew point this is where dampness can get a grip, raising the temperature to 12 degrees would go some way to prevent this from happening.

Cheers lads, will pass that on to him and will watch him do sweet fa about it. He seems to have got it into his head that keeping the heat at a constant higher temperature will see thousands coming out his bank each month 

50 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

Assuming it's the Lothian Road one ? You can book the Odeon at The Fort for Saturday.

Vue is a better cinema anyway imo.

Aye Lothian Road one, is that like some diddy one or would it be fine for a Saturday? Can easily just turn up on the day still.

Will keep that in mind for future but person I'm going with stays Lothian Road so kinda makes it easier if possible. Haven't been to the cinema for like 3 years so expecting low standards and extortionate prices either way.. 

Edited by RuMoore

4 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Aye Lothian Road one, is that like some diddy one or would it be fine for a Saturday? Can easily just turn up on the day still.

Will keep that in mind for future but person I'm going with stays Lothian Road so kinda makes it easier if possible. Haven't been to the cinema for like 3 years so expecting low standards and extortionate prices either way.. 

I wouldn't say it's a diddy one, it's the city centre Odeon so it's probably decent (I've not been there in years) but I think they only have 3 or 4 screens, which is probably why you can only book a couple of days in advance.

Probably been asked before, but do folk who smoke weed etc not actually know how much the smell sticks to them, or are they just all rotten bassa's who don't give a fvck?

Whether it's on a train, in a shop queue or whatever, it seems to be a daily occurrence to come across someone absolutely reeking of the stuff, to the extent that it's actually boak worthy.

10 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Probably been asked before, but do folk who smoke weed etc not actually know how much the smell sticks to them, or are they just all rotten bassa's who don't give a fvck?

Whether it's on a train, in a shop queue or whatever, it seems to be a daily occurrence to come across someone absolutely reeking of the stuff, to the extent that it's actually boak worthy.

Have people always smelled like that after smoking weed?  I don't recall anyone smelling that pungent when I was a kid and I assume that people did smoke weed then.  Maybe people smoke a more potent type now and maybe more people do it now.

19 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Is that why it's called Skunk? 

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

I'm looking to book tickets for Edinburgh Odeon cinema this Saturday but for some reason I can only see listings up until Friday, is this standard and they only do a few days in advance? 

The Beatles played at that cinema when it was the ABC. My pal's mum went to see them. 

31 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Are you sure it's not patchouli oil? Smells a bit like dope and and the people who use it as perfume tend to look like they like a toke.

I've always quite liked to smell of dope anyway.

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I have a mate who’s struggling with damp and mould in his flat. He was telling me that he has the heating set at 8 degrees then puts it up to 23 degrees for a couple hours at night then puts it back to 8 again.

My other mate who’s living with him just now says the place is baltic anytime he goes in. 

I tend to keep mine at a constant heat (16) during the night and then turn it up to 18/19 through the day (work from home).

I have very little experience with this sort of thing. Could his method of heating his flat be exacerbating the damp/mould? Even if it’s not the root cause? 

'mon tae f**k PnB!!!!

The genuine solutiuon to this damp and mould problem is the oft misquoted and well overused trope: windows open and heating up full blast! 

3 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I have a mate who’s struggling with damp and mould in his flat. He was telling me that he has the heating set at 8 degrees then puts it up to 23 degrees for a couple hours at night then puts it back to 8 again.

My other mate who’s living with him just now says the place is baltic anytime he goes in. 

I tend to keep mine at a constant heat (16) during the night and then turn it up to 18/19 through the day (work from home).

I have very little experience with this sort of thing. Could his method of heating his flat be exacerbating the damp/mould? Even if it’s not the root cause? 

Easiest way to explain it where it might get through…consider when it’s warm inside and cold outside, if the windows aren’t well insulated, you get condensation. With that low temperature, the fixtures/furnishings/wallls get cold soaked and never warm up much…then you warm the air around  them up…what’s gonna happen? Water condenses on the surfaces with temperature differentials when the humidity is high enough…flat gets damp and the cycle reinforces.

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

If your mate is near Lothian Rd, just jump on a bus 10 mins up to Morningside and go to The Dominion - Beautiful wee independent cinema, only a few screens, some of the rooms only have a dozen or so seats - not the cheapest, but in some showings you get pringles chucked in - seats are all either settees or electric Lazeeboy style.

Its my local cinema, and - assuming the film we want is on - we never go anywhere else.*

*usually half jaked as well after a bit of scran in a local restaurant as well, which always helps.

3 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

My business is maintenance of (mostly) rental flats - I see this a fair bit.

Most of the time it is because the heating is not on enough (or high enough) in cold months, or some people (normally students with one room in a bigger flat) fling big soaking towels over radiators to dry and dont open the door/windows to allow ventilation - hey presto, the vapour finds its way somewhere, usually the walls.

Also, is it a bit damp OR is it mould - if its just a bit damp cos he hasnt heated / ventilated then he needs to crank up the heat and open the windows to dry it out.......thats easier said than done in a Scottish Winter mind.

If he has actual mould, its incredibly bad for his health - Flash Mould and Mildew sprayed on the surface and wiped off will kill it - but he needs to address the underlying source.

In our place, even though we have a really good vent fan, we still open the window for a while after everyone has showered - open windows are hands down the best ventilation.

Edited by Leith Green

5 hours ago, Leith Green said:

If your mate is near Lothian Rd, just jump on a bus 10 mins up to Morningside and go to The Dominion - Beautiful wee independent cinema, only a few screens, some of the rooms only have a dozen or so seats - not the cheapest, but in some showings you get pringles chucked in - seats are all either settees or electric Lazeeboy style.

Its my local cinema, and - assuming the film we want is on - we never go anywhere else.*

*usually half jaked as well after a bit of scran in a local restaurant as well, which always helps.

Sounds good tbh. Will check it out in future for sure. 

Generally speaking I think I need shite seats to stay upright otherwise I'd just fall asleep 😂

My business is maintenance of (mostly) rental flats - I see this a fair bit.

Most of the time it is because the heating is not on enough (or high enough) in cold months, or some people (normally students with one room in a bigger flat) fling big soaking towels over radiators to dry and dont open the door/windows to allow ventilation - hey presto, the vapour finds its way somewhere, usually the walls.

Also, is it a bit damp OR is it mould - if its just a bit damp cos he hasnt heated / ventilated then he needs to crank up the heat and open the windows to dry it out.......thats easier said than done in a Scottish Winter mind.

If he has actual mould, its incredibly bad for his health - Flash Mould and Mildew sprayed on the surface and wiped off will kill it - but he needs to address the underlying source.

In our place, even though we have a really good vent fan, we still open the window for a while after everyone has showered - open windows are hands down the best ventilation.

Cheers, it’s probably everything you’ve said above, he sent me a picture of his room once and his clothes horse was next to the bed. Probably not helping having that next to him while he sleeps. There was something in the home report when he bought the place about moisture in the walls but he pretty much ignored it. 

He refuses to take any advice from me and will continue to bury his head in the sand. Now that my other mate is living with him he’s trying to get through to him about how bad it could really be (I.E the mould). 

Used to go to the Dominion fairly regularly years back.  Would wait until they were showing the film we wanted to see rather than go elsewhere.

You could get a beer in there and also waiter service to fetch it for you.  No idea if you could get a beer in other cinemas back then.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:25, Central Belt Caley said:

Cheers lads, will pass that on to him and will watch him do sweet fa about it. He seems to have got it into his head that keeping the heat at a constant higher temperature will see thousands coming out his bank each month 

Unless it's absolutely freezing outside his house will not drop to 8 degree. The thermostat is just a switch really so he is just switching his heating on for a couple of hour a night.