Quick Question Thread

53 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Going to a Nepalese restaurant for a Christmas lunch, no idea what to eat, fussy c**t, someone suggest something chicken based and mild please.

Chicken Momos (dumplings) to start & Solukhumba Bhenda (slices of lamb in chicken mince) as a main. You'll thank me.

On 11/12/2023 at 20:46, Central Belt Caley said:

Cheers, it’s probably everything you’ve said above, he sent me a picture of his room once and his clothes horse was next to the bed. Probably not helping having that next to him while he sleeps. There was something in the home report when he bought the place about moisture in the walls but he pretty much ignored it. 

He refuses to take any advice from me and will continue to bury his head in the sand. Now that my other mate is living with him he’s trying to get through to him about how bad it could really be (I.E the mould). 

A dehumidifier helps with the condensation and an air purifier helps with the mould spores in the air. Still needs to clean the mould away with some kind of bleach, open the windows, let the air circulate too.

On 11/12/2023 at 13:26, 'WellDel said:

Probably been asked before, but do folk who smoke weed etc not actually know how much the smell sticks to them, or are they just all rotten bassa's who don't give a fvck?

Whether it's on a train, in a shop queue or whatever, it seems to be a daily occurrence to come across someone absolutely reeking of the stuff, to the extent that it's actually boak worthy.

I don't know how any adult can complain about the smell of weed, considering they're bound to remember the days when half the population (and most public spaces) were absolutely rancid with cigarette smoke, and the associated yellow slime that came with it. I guess everyone was just used to it?

As a computer tech, my dread was the yellow/brown filth boxes from smokers' homes - gloves and facemasks on if you didn't want to be smelling like (and coughing up) the contents of your granny's cremation urn.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

I don't know how any adult can complain about the smell of weed, considering they're bound to remember the days when half the population (and most public spaces) were absolutely rancid with cigarette smoke, and the associated yellow slime that came with it. I guess everyone was just used to it?

Both of them can be utterly rotten.

Don't suppose anyone here is able to advise on a situation that's occurring with a chap I know who is changing jobs.

Essentially he has been employed by a small, private company for 8 years on what can only be described as an entry-level salary. He has completed some on the job training, but isn't hugely qualified for the job role he's now expected to fulfil.

When he started there, he signed a contract which specifies a 3-month notice period.

He has since found another job who were initially happy enough for him to join them after his notice period was up. At first his old employer indicated verbally that something could be sorted to allow him to work less notice, but very quickly changed their minds and no record was made of this initial agreement. The new employer has recently been in touch asking him to start earlier  but the old employer is digging their heels in regarding the notice period. 

His old job has been advertised with a salary that's quite a bit bigger than what they were paying him, and I was wondering if this was normal practice and what he could potentially do to keep his old, and more importantly, his new employer happy or at least give him something to suggest as a workable compromise.

Why is Edinburgh so busy today? Tram was standing room only most of the way from the airport and was hoping for a quiet pint before getting my train at Waverley but everywhere's hoaching. Haven't these people got churches to go to? 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Why is Edinburgh so busy today? Tram was standing room only most of the way from the airport and was hoping for a quiet pint before getting my train at Waverley but everywhere's hoaching. Haven't these people got churches to go to? 

The Xmas market(s) on Princes St. are largely to blame I think. Edinburgh city centre has become a no-go area over Xmas & New Year for many locals.

3 hours ago, Rizzo said:

When he started there, he signed a contract which specifies a 3-month notice period.

Not worth the paper it's printed on. They've shown how much they care by the new wage advertised for the same job he's doing.

Pack it up, pack it in let the new job begin.

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The Xmas market(s) on Princes St. are largely to blame I think. Edinburgh city centre has become a no-go area over Xmas & New Year for many locals.

Need more CCS v Hearts/Gers/Celtic/Aberdeen/Bonnyrigg Rose casuals aggro in the City Centre just tae remind thae tourists cuntos whose city it is. 

RANDOM QUESTION……does anyone know where I could find a hat like the one Derek McIness is wearing on the TV?? That would keep me nice and warm and the lights out my eyes at Stirling games in this weather...🙈

IMG_0623.jpeg

Edited by BB_Bino

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

RANDOM QUESTION……does anyone know where I could find a hat like the one Derek McIness is wearing on the TV?? That would keep me nice and warm and the lights out my eyes at Stirling games in this weather...🙈

IMG_0623.jpeg

He keeps it on the second hook next to the front door.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

IMG_0623.jpeg

Somewhere around 1920.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

IMG_0623.jpeg

Different colour but similar style I think......

https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/struther-waterproof-cap-A481

On 16/12/2023 at 14:17, BFTD said:

I don't know how any adult can complain about the smell of weed, considering they're bound to remember the days when half the population (and most public spaces) were absolutely rancid with cigarette smoke,

You, of all people, surely understand that two things don't have to be as bad as each other to both be rank?

46 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

You, of all people, surely understand that two things don't have to be as bad as each other to both be rank?

I'm just so thankful to be able to breathe that a minute or two in the presence of fag/hash/vape smoke barely registers.

Seriously, between that shite and the perfume counters at the front of Boots/Debenhams/C&A et al, I'm amazed anyone over the age of forty has any sense of smell left at all.

17 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Don't suppose anyone here is able to advise on a situation that's occurring with a chap I know who is changing jobs.

Essentially he has been employed by a small, private company for 8 years on what can only be described as an entry-level salary. He has completed some on the job training, but isn't hugely qualified for the job role he's now expected to fulfil.

He has since found another job who were initially happy enough for him to join them after his notice period was up. At first his old employer indicated verbally that something could be sorted to allow him to work less notice, but very quickly changed their minds and no record was made of this initial agreement. The new employer has recently been in touch asking him to start earlier  but the old employer is digging their heels in regarding the notice period. 

His old job has been advertised with a salary that's quite a bit bigger than what they were paying him, and I was wondering if this was normal practice and what he could potentially do to keep his old, and more importantly, his new employer happy or at least give him something to suggest as a workable compromise.

There isn't  a way to keep both happy unless he has a twin.  Either he burns his bridges with his current employer (maybe no big deal given how he seems to have been treated by them) or potentially gets off on the wrong foot with the new one (but if they hold it against him then that's a red flag before he's started).  

Lose-Lose situation.