Quick Question Thread

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Sounds like something AI could (or perhaps should) answer pretty easily.

"To check specific locations and times for your area, it's best to look at local cinema websites like Odeon or Cineworld."

Thanks, ChatGPT!  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I thought all the dirty mac cinemas were closed now. 

Sticky floors. 

I wonder if the "private club" loophole is still in effect.

A living room full of sallow masturbators doesn't seem massively appealing, but I'm sure the money's good.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

"To check specific locations and times for your area, it's best to look at local cinema websites like Odeon or Cineworld."

Thanks, ChatGPT!  :rolleyes:

I wonder if the "private club" loophole is still in effect.

A living room full of sallow masturbators doesn't seem massively appealing, but I'm sure the money's good.

Great band.

When I google something on the phone these days it comes up with some "AI Overview" at the top before offering the individual websites.

Is this a new thing?

WTF does it mean? Is it just the new way google are answering shite?

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

When I google something on the phone these days it comes up with some "AI Overview" at the top before offering the individual websites.

Is this a new thing?

Surely Google has always been AI. Unless it's been Gregory Oogle sitting at his laptop answering all this stuff.

Edited by jimbaxters

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Surely Google has always been AI. Unless it's been Gregory Oogle sitting at his laptop answering all this stuff.

I know what you mean, but it never used to come back like this

Screenshot_20240924-140832.thumb.png.121be79f6ebf4a5722c8ef0251171567.png

9 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Is this a new thing?

It's wrong about 2/3rds of the time too, there should be a was of turning it off but I haven't found it. Really annoying.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Is this a new thing?

It's just the latest attempt by Google to steal information from other people and present it as their own. Their aim is that you should never have to leave their website so that they get all your money. They're in direct competition with the entire internet these days.

This bit from John Oliver was a bit of an eye-opener.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's wrong about 2/3rds of the time too, there should be a was of turning it off but I haven't found it. Really annoying.

If you type '&udm=14' after your search subject it removes it, Google AI helped me finding that.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

It's just the latest attempt by Google to steal information from other people and present it as their own. Their aim is that you should never have to leave their website so that they get all your money. They're in direct competition with the entire internet these days.

This bit from John Oliver was a bit of an eye-opener.

Thanks, just watched that - excellent piece.

12 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Right you technical whizz kids, what can I do to improve this on my laptop please?

IMG_20240926_092000.jpg

Get a bigger hard drive and get a technical mate to clone everything over to the new one, then swap them over. It's pretty straightforward. 60GB is absolutely tiny these days.

What's the make/model? From that we should be able to tell you what you need to get.

Edit: you can get a 1TB drive for about £30 these days. That's more than 16x the storage space.
Edit 2: I say "get a technical mate" to do it, as you can make a mistake and lose everything if you've never done it before. Better safe than sorry.
Edit 3: your local tech shop should be quite happy to do it for you, especially if you buy the drive through them. Shouldn't cost more than £100.

Edited by BFTD

43 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Yes but what stuff? My usual go to is deleting downloads but that's been done

Ccleaner is pretty decent for cleaning up a hard drive, but:

1) Only download and use the free version, and watch the tricky ad buttons that say “Download Now” from third parties.

2) Don’t worry about the PC tuning and stuff.

3) Don’t use the registry fix.

It’ll take a few minutes the first time to configure what to clean (you’ll want to keep passwords, etc… you choose per program)

Also, download and start using Revo Uninstaller for removing programs. It cleans up all the orphaned crap that clogs hard drives.

Edited by TxRover

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Ccleaner is pretty decent for cleaning up a hard drive, but:

1) Only download and use the free version, and watch the tricky ad buttons that say “Download Now” from third parties.

2) Don’t worry about the PC tuning and stuff.

3) Don’t use the registry fix.

It’ll take a few minutes the first time to configure what to clean (you’ll want to keep passwords, etc… you choose per program)

Also, download and start using Revo Uninstaller for removing programs. It cleans up all the orphaned crap that clogs hard drives.

It's worth a try, but with a drive that small, a modern version of Windows is likely to have accrued so many system files that it'll run out of space from that alone. I had a wee 120GB netbook years ago that very quickly ran out of space due to the amount of files in WinSxS that I couldn't get rid of.

Not sure if they've done anything about this in Windows 11, but it certainly used to be a big complaint.

Edit: I didn't mean that to come across as dismissive, Ccleaner is worth running every now and then anyway.

Edited by BFTD

On 24/09/2024 at 14:10, Leith Green said:

I know what you mean, but it never used to come back like this

Screenshot_20240924-140832.thumb.png.121be79f6ebf4a5722c8ef0251171567.png

I've switched to DuckDuckGo on phone because of this latest development, google search results are a f**king nonsense now between this AI and then twenty-seven "People also ask" suggestions.

12 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I've switched to DuckDuckGo on phone because of this latest development, google search results are a f**king nonsense now between this AI and then twenty-seven "People also ask" suggestions.

Aye, they're going down the route that lost Yahoo their search engine primacy. Presumably they figure they've got the market sewn up at this point.

I've also heard that DuckDuckGo's search algorithm produces better results than Google these days.