Quick Question Thread

My bank balance is minus £2.16. I don't get paid until next Wednesday. Will the bank charge me before I get paid or will they just leave it because it's a tiny amount? :unsure: It's Clydesdale bank if that makes a difference.

I'm sorry to say but you will probably be taken to court if you do not pay the amount within 3 working days.

Bit of an odd one, but I could do with any sort of recommendation for someone who could do a bit of welding on my motor, preferably in the Stirling-ish area, and for as cheap as possible. Really needs to be done this week, though.

Any takers? Just the number for a half decent garage would be great.

Northend Garage in Dunblane. 01786 825333. My mate's dad, he won't rip you off and if he can do it quicker\cheaper for you he probably will.

My bank balance is minus £2.16. I don't get paid until next Wednesday. Will the bank charge me before I get paid or will they just leave it because it's a tiny amount? :unsure: It's Clydesdale bank if that makes a difference.

Do you not need an overdraft to be able to go into negative money and I thought you had to be 18 to get an overdraft. Why don't you just borrow three quid off someone and go to the bank and pay it so you don't risk getting charged?

Guest The Phoenix

If I was to send a letter to a country outside the EU do I just go to the post office and tell them which country it is and they'll do the rest?

Yip, you can send a letter to anywhere in the world (with a postal service!) from any Post Office.

Guest The Phoenix

Do you not need an overdraft to be able to go into negative money and I thought you had to be 18 to get an overdraft. Why don't you just borrow three quid off someone and go to the bank and pay it so you don't risk getting charged?

If he's already in the red, paying in £3 tomorrow won't prevent him being hit with charges, if he has no agreed overdraft limit.

See if you send a letter without a stamp, do they take it back to the return address or just bin it?

Perversely, you get a Royal Mail slip through your letter box saying postage is underpaid and that if you still want to receive your mail, you have to go to the local undelivered mail depot and pay the excess. The same happens if someone's posted something with stamps that don't cover the actual package price of delivery on the Royal Mail standard scale.

Guest The Phoenix

See if you send a letter without a stamp, do they take it back to the return address or just bin it?

They deliver it and charge the receiver the price of postage + an "administrative fee".

The receiver does however have the choice to tell the postman to stick the letter where the sun don't shine.

That, of course, only works if the receiver knows what's in the letter and is able to determine he doesn't want to receive it.

Perversely, you get a Royal Mail slip through your letter box saying postage is underpaid and that if you still want to receive your mail, you have to go to the local undelivered mail depot and pay the excess. The same happens if someone's posted something with stamps that don't cover the actual package price of delivery on the Royal Mail standard scale.

Ah okay cheers.

If he's already in the red, paying in £3 tomorrow won't prevent him being hit with charges, if he has no agreed overdraft limit.

I went to a cash machine and was surprised to find £10 in my account after I had bought something online. I then spent £4.69 in a shop using my card. Then when I went to use the card again it got declined, I went to a cash line and I had -£2.16. It's not really my fault if my balance read £10 and it's a mistake made by the bank.

Guest The Phoenix

I went to a cash machine and was surprised to find £10 in my account after I had bought something online. I then spent £4.69 in a shop using my card. Then when I went to use the card again it got declined, I went to a cash line and I had -£2.16. It's not really my fault if my balance read £10 and it's a mistake made by the bank.

Are you sure there wasn't another o/s transaction for £7.47?

Edited by The Phoenix

Uh, yeah it is your fault. There's a difference between balance and available funds. A debit transaction is not always instantaneous.

It just hadn't been charged yet, when I do online betting then it takes a small time for the charges to come off.

I'm still confused as to how you can get an overdraft, arranged or otherwise, is it 16 or 18 for that?

If you're buying stuff online with it, your account will probably have a 'balance' and 'available balance'. Maybe you've just got mixed up with them, as the money you spend online doesn't fully clear in your account straight away, hence why 'balance' always has more there than 'available balance'. This also happens when you deposit money from your bank into an online betting site.