The New Raith Rovers Thread

I agree that we can't play Matthews & Callaghan, but that's because Callaghan is absolutely stinking. 100% I'd be starting Matthews, every time he's played he's been ace. As for experience, that'll come as he plays more games (obviously!). Hoping that big Centre half is fit for the Montrose game to go in beside Bene, and stick Davo back in centre mid for Callaghan. And I'd start Coustrain instead of Johns(t)on (not sure on his surname spelling).
Side note, I was playing football this morning up at Michael Woods, and everyone of note was training.

I agree that we can't play Matthews & Callaghan, but that's because Callaghan is absolutely stinking. 100% I'd be starting Matthews, every time he's played he's been ace. As for experience, that'll come as he plays more games (obviously!). Hoping that big Centre half is fit for the Montrose game to go in beside Bene, and stick Davo back in centre mid for Callaghan. And I'd start Coustrain instead of Johns(t)on (not sure on his surname spelling).
Side note, I was playing football this morning up at Michael Woods, and everyone of note was training.

The team sheet had Johnson, but now that I've checked, it seems to be Johnston. Just play it safe like myself and call him Connolly.

Really funny how the big team fans is obsessed with the wee team, obviously they see us as a threat don't you boys ! Reading some of the trolling on here it's embarrassing to say the least, No predictions from me just hope we have a decent season whether it's finishing 6th, 5th, 4th , As for our near neighbours they are a very confident bunch of fellows predicted the play offs and brushing aside everyone in their wake only time will tell on that one ,good luck boys for the new season, we will just live under the great teams shadow and thank them for any scraps we get.

Folk giving Ross Callachan a hard time need to seriously settle down. The reason he's a target and makes more mistakes than others in games is that he always, always makes himself available for the ball, regardless of situation. A boy that's come through our own youth system and turned down Ross County to stay with us last year, stop giving him so much grief.

photos are early nineties,,,,terraced no railway sleepers and the brush sweeper is our club legend Andy Leigh..

b3f1a14fa6b4788f2bc14d47feedeb6f.jpg
That's the North stand in 1985. I remember still being at school when the did it and I left in 81.

Callachan looked a bit off the pace on Friday, couple of times he lost the ball just by being too slow to react. Guess that l will improve in time.

I agree he gets a hard time, but he didn't have a good game. Either did Thomson, who looked to be to be off the pace also.

You're always in danger of looking light in centre-mid if you want to play two forwards and two proper wingers. I thought Matthews and Callchan did okay.

b3f1a14fa6b4788f2bc14d47feedeb6f.jpg
That's the North stand in 1985. I remember still being at school when the did it and I left in 81.

I thought the old terracing at both ends of the ground were covered in a kind of fine gravel that would get whipped up into a cloud of stoor until about '95 or so?

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I thought the old terracing at both ends of the ground were covered in a kind of fine gravel that would get whipped up into a cloud of stoor until about '95 or so?

The old railway shed had sleepers for steps, inlaid with ash, when changing ends at halftime the ash would rise up in a cloud covering everyone in fine dust, oh, and many a supporter fell by the wayside due to emphysema.

The north stand was done long before the south stand.
I still miss switching ends at half time.

You're always in danger of looking light in centre-mid if you want to play two forwards and two proper wingers. I thought Matthews and Callchan did okay.

Agreed. Not sure I'm massively on board with a return to the Murray days of 4-4-2 with two proper wingers. The middle of the park was always totally hung out to dry. See how it goes, I guess...

Having said that, we do look light in the middle regardless. Matthews, Callachan, Davidson and Robertson aren't going to do too much aside from spreading the ball wide. Indeed a Callachan/Davidson partnership would seriously struggle with ball retention.

Also agree with those who say Callachan gets a bit too much stick because he always makes himself available and doesn't let a game pas him by. He really, seriously needs to stop constantly shooting though. He's absolutely shite at it.

I reckon about 1993, I am sure in that close season they re laid the crumbling old terracing and at the same time moved it back a fair bit, previously it used to be much closer to the goals with very little or no ash track in front of either end.

its definitely Johnston not Johnson or Johnstone as its spelt my way.

As I recall regarding the terracing the new concrete works behind the goals were done preseason in 1995 (and lasted 2 seasons before being ripped up again) but there was concrete there before that too. It was concreted (1950s probably) when the sheds were erected but only up so far as these shed coverings, from there to the back was ash and sleepers just like in the coo shed on the railway side.

9 hours ago, Daz80 said:

I'm guessing that picture is more 1990 than 80. I'm also guessing shooboax is nearer the age of starting puberty soon. But as I say it's just a guess. 

I think you're wrong there Daz, I think he's a wee bit away from that yet.

9 hours ago, Shooboax said:

Aye Daz guess away.

Can we take that as confirmation of the above then sport?

What have you planned for the school holidays? Is yer mum taking out anywhere nice? you must be terribly bored that you are forever on here with your attempts at trolling, wise up its not big and it's definitely not clever.

That concrete was put down for the old board pre alec penman for the all seated stadiums that were being mooted or teams were being made to do this.  So I reckon it's 1994 or 1995.  The coo shed ceased to exist after we sold Andy Harrow for £90,000 to Luton I think it was.  The North Stand always had some concrete running along the front of it up to the barriers and upwards from that was the ash.  There was always a semi circle of grass behind the goals at the north stand and it was from there that the goalmouths (6 yard box) were returfed, there was also parking there or the disabled cars as well as in front of the coo shed.