The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

He's a bench warmer unless someone gets injured hence why he got his opportunity last season then was promptly dropped when players started returning. If he's not breaking into our first time just now I'll be surprised if he ever will let alone doing anything of note at Rangers.

You seem unnaturally upset about about a 19 year old with less than 20 appearances for the club.

He's a bench warmer unless someone gets injured hence why he got his opportunity last season then was promptly dropped when players started returning. If he's not breaking into our first time just now I'll be surprised if he ever will let alone doing anything of note at Rangers.

He was replacing Thomson whilst he was injured, regardless of Bates form etc, he was obviously getting dropped when Thomson returned..? Thomson's the captain FFS :lol:

He's also only 19 year old, with a full career ahead of him, I'm sure he'll be playing at a much higher level than we're playing at...

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You seem unnaturally upset about about a 19 year old with less than 20 appearances for the club.

We're discussing Bates and I'm offering my input. Apologies for not gushing over him like most people are.

He's 19, and has done a solid if unspectacular job when called upon. 

However, im not sure how many 19 year olds do a better job than that as a centre back.

He hasnt done anything amazing, but hardly put a foot wrong - which again, is all you can expect for someone with his limited experience. 

Not surprised Rangers are looking at him, he was immense against them last season. 

4 minutes ago, Raithie said:

We're discussing Bates and I'm offering my input. Apologies for not gushing over him like most people are.

Given he ended up playing mostly as a right back, I though the did really well. There is definitely a good centre half there. If he got 'promptly dropped' it's at least partly due to the fact that firstly, Thomson coming back in gave us a natural right back, and two the centre half pairing of Bene/Toshney and then Bene/Barr did nothing to warrant being split up. It's also a fact that centre back is one of those positions that managers like to have experience in, where positional sense, strength and reading of the game is more important than raw fitness or pace. At 19, bates can still improve a lot, and the fact he's played a number of games at championship level and looked decent is encouraging.

Bates is still raw, but for his age that will be the case. He is going to be a very capable player in a couple of years in my opinion.  If he is not playing with us, then I would imagine he will be at a similar size club or bigger for the majority of his career. 

I can't help drawing comparisons with Bates and the young Shaun Dennis when he first came to Raith. Both were a bit raw but you still had enough confidence in them not to worry if they needed to be called upon. Bates would admit he is not the complete defender yet but shows great promise. I hope Raith can hold on to him.

I think Bates could turn into a decent centre-half too.

He definitely didn't look comfortable at right-back, but I felt that was more to do with being unsure about the attacking element of that role.

Brechin fans certainly gave him a glowing report at the level below while he was on loan there and getting an extended run, but I appreciate thats not exactly the highest of standards.

I'm happy enough with how Bates looked when he played for us. I'd be quite confident he could go on to become a regular over time. It's a very similar position to Ross Matthews over the last season. He'd always come in and look solid, but often lost out due to more experienced players coming back in.

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Great input, as ever. 

Has Bates had a decent run at centre half? I can only really remember him getting a run of games whilst being shoehorned into right back. Both unfair to call him average off the back of being flung into an unnatural position and naive to say he'll be walking into the Rangers back line (obviously that comment was tongue in cheek). I don't think of us have seen enough of him at centre back to be making judgement calls on his ability, but he obviously has impressed enough that he is where he currently is.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Raithie said:

Look your not allowed to have a different opinion on players or anything Rovers than certain erseholes on here