The New Raith Rovers Thread

I don't blame Hughes at all for where we are he seems honest in his after match interview. Its Gary lockes team that should never of been allowed near our club.
Also the club should cancel the player of the year awards this year !

Were you at Easter Road or Paisley? If you were, I'm astounded you'd think Hughes isn't at least partly to blame.

From the opening minute on Wednesday, McHattie was completely exposed against Humphrey, but he took an age to rectify it, and yesterday, we went up against a St Mirren team, with a midfield that didn't have a defensive bone in its body.

Craig Barr could have played in midfield, Benedictus should have played centre half, and Thompson shouldn't have started.

We probably still would have lost if we'd made those changes, but at least we wouldn't have set up to fail.

His team selections, substitutions and man management skills have been questionable at best, and our worst two performances this season, Dumbarton 0-4 and St Mirren 0-5 have both been under his watch.

John Hughes suggests modern society is to blame for the 5-0 loss today, based on the interview I've just seen. I'm surmising it's for the St Mirren website.

He's won three games in 12 in charge of Rovers, he maybe needs to start looking at more specific reasons for our failure.

I agree with Yogi. It's because our squad is full of modern players. We should've signed guys from the 1950s, like St Mirren and Hibs did.

Even if we do make the play offs, I have absolutely no confidence we'll beat either Alloa, Brechin or Airdrie.

I blame the board for everything that's went wrong. We could have employed a hungry young manager like Jack Ross who was working wonders with Alloa, yet employed an utter imposter, just because he has Hearts connections. Brought in a rabble of "professionals" of the worst calibre to have ever graced Starks Park. Even A#%*€a's flops knew they couldn't play football, but would have put up a better fight than this shambles

I think yogi although a rambling mentalist who looks like he shouts at seagulls and smells of pish has a point.

We can argue all day about team selections and formations and these are essential, however 11 "professional" players should be able to cobble something together and not collapse on their arse week in week out. It's not like it's been by the odd goal or there's been plenty of dog from the side they've been fucking negligent more often than not.

Whatever league we end up in there's no way back for a lot of people 

Edited by pub car king

Should Ayr win 6-0 next week to consign us to automatic relegation, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised. And frankly, we'd deserve it.

That's my own thoughts by the way, even if it does read like a John Hughes statement.

Need to check your arithmetic mate. Need more than 6. Not saying it can't happen mind.....

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Need to check your arithmetic mate. Need more than 6. Not saying it can't happen mind.....

Its only 5 (still not happening) 10 of a difference adds 5 to us takes 5 from you but we would have better goals scored.

The writing was on the wall at the start of the season when Locke was appointed; we knew it, Scottish football knew it but the board were taken in by him regardless. Locke was then backed by the board, allowed to assemble a large but unbalanced squad which, as Hughes isn't shy to point out publicly, isn't very good at all. 

Hughes was the best appointment we could've made and it hasn't worked. The big fear has materialised, namely that the squad is indeed "that bad" and we remain absolutely shite. Even so, he hasn't got the best out of them and has made several baffling decisions - starting with the midfield he did yesterday was absolutely suicidal, for example. Yes, we have players out, but you need to adapt to these things. 

Under Locke we were reliant on the teams around us continuing to be shite, which they were. Sadly, this has not been the case since Hughes took over and we haven't improved. St. Mirren have also more than shown the benefits of punting your useless manager and letting the new manager have time in the transfer market. 

Then there's the range of bewildering decisions made over the course of the year... we really are like something out of a Carry On film. 

Even if we do make the play offs, I have absolutely no confidence we'll beat either Alloa, Brechin or Airdrie.

I blame the board for everything that's went wrong. We could have employed a hungry young manager like Jack Ross who was working wonders with Alloa, yet employed an utter imposter, just because he has Hearts connections. Brought in a rabble of "professionals" of the worst calibre to have ever graced Starks Park. Even A#%*€a's flops knew they couldn't play football, but would have put up a better fight than this shambles

Jack Ross wasn't quite working wonders at Alloa when we appointed Locke. It was his amazing start to the season that landed him the Saints job. He would certainly have been a better bet than the bold Gary though.

As for the play-offs, I don't have great expectations either. But when you look at Airdrie and Brechin, both teams have lost something like 16 league games (one fewer than us) in a much poorer league. It's only Alloa who have anything like a decent top of the table record. Remarkable it's come to this.