The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Lose lose for East Fife.  We go up and they lose their only respectable gate.  We stay down and they get another 4 soul destroying defeats to a club they hate more than they love their own.

They'll probably come away with some pish about their plastic being better than our plastic.

They'll probably come away with some pish about their plastic being better than our plastic.

Now you come to mention it...

Vaughan missed out on player of the year, which isn't exactly shocking.

Which reminds me of the only time that these awards annoyed me, the season that Nacho Novo played for us. He was by far the best player in the league but didn't even get nominated for the player of the year award.

Glad i've got that off my chest, its only taken 15 years!!!

1 minute ago, mrpaddyx said:

Which reminds me of the only time that these awards annoyed me, the season that Nacho Novo played for us. He was by far the best player in the league but didn't even get nominated for the player of the year award.

In all honesty, there's not a player from another team close to Shankland this season.

6 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

That’s because it’s the players who vote for it, and Novo was a horrible diving little shit,

No salty tears from me about Saturday. Big disappointment of course but predictable end to an unpredictable season.

In terms of our playing 'style', I've got no real issue with playing direct/percentage/hoofball tactics as long as we've got the players to make it work. McGlynn succeeded by having one of his front players capable of winning headers and, most importantly, able to bring the ball down on their chest and bringing others into the game in the final third - allowing us to dominate from there. Whether it was Hislop, Graham, Tade, Clarke, Casa or even Kev Smith, it worked. Coupled with hard-working b*****ds like Weir or Baird made us dangerous despite being fairly direct.

Smith's problem stems from buying entirely the wrong front players to fit into his tactics. The only one we have who is remotely capable of dealing with the awful chipped balls from the likes of Thomson is Jonny Court, who can barely have a combined 90 mins of league football under his belt all year. He's only thrown on in desperate times.

The issue regarding Vaughan thriving coming from wide is also valid. Saturday was crying out for something, anything, to mix it up and make Alloa think or even run. Swapping the wingers for a spell was one option, another was putting Vaughan left, Barr right and Zanatta through the middle for a bit to ask different questions of the defence. None of these were even tried for 5 mins. That's perhaps the most damning thing about Smith's tactics - it's safety first and no clever plans to alter a game.

Obviously it would be great to play like Man City but we can still be successful in other ways if needs be. My concern is that Smith can't even see where the most obvious shortcomings were on Saturday in such a crucial match.

Anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards. Well done to Ayr. Bit frustrating we couldn't finish above a team losing almost a quarter of their league games but table doesn't lie.

If we were going to play the way we did, Furtado needed to be on from the start. We were never getting anywhere lamping the ball at Vaughan and Buchanan; one because they're both short and two because they don't have the strength to bulldoze their way through. Notwithstanding both being poor on the day, it was a dreadful choice from the start. 

That our wingers both had shockers didn't help either. Zanatta largely huged the touchline and didn't make himself available with a run, and Barr was just nowhere to be seen. That is inexcusable and both should've been hooked well before they were. Both these players were our only hope at unlocking a determined Alloa with pace and a speedy attack, but they were either nowhere to be seen or just too damn slow and let Alloa regroup. As a result, we got stuck and ended up with either Davidson or Murray with the ball at their feet around the halfway line wondering why the hell no-one was available for an opening. 

This game on Wednesday needs a big performance with a lot of energy. 

Zanetta is inconsistent 

Barr goes missing far too often

Vaughan flourished when he has a bit of freedom to play be it out wide or as a free forward.

Spence seems to have carried the can for shit forward play and doesn't get a sniff.

I agree defence is fairly good at the minute and as much as I question Smith as a goalkeeper his record is decent.

Robertson and Herron in the middle but I don' know about the rest. It' a real balancing act of keeping it tight but trying to win. In all honesty a few here isn' the end of the world and I would hope our "full time" fitness will be an advantage for 3 games in 7 days.

The main thing is getting the tactics right for these two matches coming up. The one consolation from Saturday was that defensively we were fairly solid, but I’m guessing that Alloa will be showing a bit more ambition on Wednesday night. We need to show more intelligence and movement going forward. Furtado is a must for me. Leave Zanatta as a option for coming on later in the game. Would happily see Barr also dropped.  As for the support it will probably be back to the core support for these two games.  As much as many of us are sick of this team and the tactics, we have to give them a good backing. We may still end up in League One next year but at least have a proper go.