The New Raith Rovers Thread

Today was a frustrating day as mentioned above, particularly as it highlights the willingness for the local population to turn up only when there's something at stake. It's exceptionally frustrating to see clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk and St Mirren go about their business and pull in crowds often three times our own, while we're left with a core of 1,600. The prices don't seem to be an issue for those clubs. Even then, the problem is that when we played our best football in a decade under McKinnon, folk still didn't show up. The crowds maybe peaked about 1,800 home fans or so. 

Leaving the game a lot of people were talking about how the team "shat it" and  how it was the first game they've been to in years. As I mentioned on the match thread, the club need to really look at the playing style and realise our fans have seen more eye bleedingly bad long ball football than most teams. It's effective for grinding out results (see our home form as an example), but it's tedious to watch and it doesn't do anyone any favours. 

These clubs all have decent community programmes whereas ours is pathetic.

Agree about the playing style. It's not been good to watch this season. That's not a factor for me but it certainly doesn't help the overall experience.

I don't think we necessarily 'shat it' today , I just think we didn't have enough about us to break them down.

One thing that has bothered me is that Vaughan was flying playing wide. He ended up CM which was not ideal, but why when the CM issue was sorted was he never played wide where he did all the damage early in the season?

F#ck it, onto Wednesday.

Just a thought but do we need a sizeable rebuild over the close season it seems this side just doesn' have the bottle when it counts and either way we will need a bit of fight be it to stay up or another run at promotion. 

Just a thought but do we need a sizeable rebuild over the close season it seems this side just doesn' have the bottle when it counts and either way we will need a bit of fight be it to stay up or another run at promotion. 

For me, it’s not about bottle. They just aren’t that good a side and they play football which nobody wants to watch.

Aye spot on pof. Its a shame though more fans through the gates means more money and theoretically a better team with better football.
Totally agree with you. Would love more fans providing more gate money and a better atmosphere.

They won't just appear at the gates though.

We (the club) need to make the effort to get them in, and once they're in to keep them.

These clubs all have decent community programmes whereas ours is pathetic.  
Agree about the playing style. It's not been good to watch this season. That's not a factor for me but it certainly doesn't help the overall experience.

I don't think we necessarily 'shat it' today , I just think we didn't have enough about us to break them down.

One thing that has bothered me is that Vaughan was flying playing wide. He ended up CM which was not ideal, but why when the CM issue was sorted was he never played wide where he did all the damage early in the season?

F#ck it, onto Wednesday.

What do the three do in terms of community that makes ours pathetic? Genuinely interested incidentally, not a dig.

3 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

What do the three do in terms of community that makes ours pathetic? Genuinely interested incidentally, not a dig.

Do you think Falkirk benefit from the Stadium and having the community use the facilities regularly, so feel more of a part of the club - see advertising of games etc regularly? I don't know - just a thought?  

Nothing particularly ground breaking as far as I'm aware mate, and that's the frustrating thing. They do simple things well.

Just stuff like well run youth community coaching programmes and linking to local schools / groups etc.

Pathetic is maybe harsh, but I don't think we do very well on that front. There are a few bits and bobs that go on but I really think we need more of it, and what we do needs to be better.

Nothing particularly ground breaking as far as I'm aware mate, and that's the frustrating thing. They do simple things well.  
Just stuff like well run youth community coaching programmes and linking to local schools / groups etc.

Pathetic is maybe harsh, but I don't think we do very well on that front. There are a few bits and bobs that go on but I really think we need more of it, and what we do needs to be better.

See, I think the Raith Rovers Community Foundation done some great things in the local community, unfortunately I don’t think there was a particularly joined up piece of thinking between it and the club.

You’d have to be following it on Twitter or Facebook to see what it was up to, and the official club pages didn’t always make a song or dance about it, if they mentioned it at all.

I’m not saying they don’t do more than us, they almost certainly do, but we’re less adept at promoting and celebrating what we do.

See, I think the Raith Rovers Community Foundation done some great things in the local community, unfortunately I don’t think there was a particularly joined up piece of thinking between it and the club.

You’d have to be following it on Twitter or Facebook to see what it was up to, and the official club pages didn’t always make a song or dance about it, if they mentioned it at all.

I’m not saying they don’t do more than us, they almost certainly do, but we’re less adept at promoting and celebrating what we do.
I've seen some of the stuff and there's definitely good intention, I just don't think the impact can be meaningful unless (as you say) it's a joint focus by the foundation and the club.

An example being that my lad goes to the Saturday morning sessions and not once in a year has anyone from the club been along. Free tickets (we have season tickets but most don't) but bring a paying adult etc. If those were handed out by a player (even the 20's) it would be a way of getting more folk along.

School visits, assemblies etc. Any opportunity to get players into the schools would be great.

The south stand shot, mascots etc are great for the kids that go but id like to see more done to get NEW kids / families along.

Links Park Community Trust are the Montrose FC equivilant and they have a great link with the club and community. A real joint up programme and they do some brilliant work in the area.

55 minutes ago, pub car king said:

If we stay down but remain full time then the table suggests we will do fine with roughly what we have. If we went up it would be a long season around the bottom of table I imagine.

Dunfermline’s surge in numbers has plenty to do with their brush with extinction, siege mentality stuff. Basically they have benefited ever since and continue to do so. What exactly was the punishment again? Couple of season in this league but they got rid of all the deadwood and got to build a better team cause of it