The New Raith Rovers Thread

If the rumour mill's to be believed Smith's not interested in Craig Easton's opinion or in his charges, he'll be delighted to see him leave so he can get another "yes" man in like Cuthbert.

14 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Would Easton be a great loss to us? Can see how good he is with the U20s as a coach. When you actually look at the other teams in the U20s league, it's not really surprising that we've won it 2 seasons in a row.

The one thing that actually worries me about our 'youth development' system is how poor we actually are with loaning players out. I'm not really interested if our youth teams are winning their league. I'd rather see the players developing. Court is a classic example, he's 22 years old and how many senior games has he played. If he'd been loaned out last season and maybe even this season then we'd at least have seen his potential as a Raith player.

Court's been out on loan with unspectacular results in the fourth tier.

Capture5.PNG

Court's been out on loan with unspectacular results in the fourth tier.
Capture5.PNG.55fb69ced4a453ce7d3402ac9b99a68b.PNG

Well there you go. I didn't realise he'd been away already.

Allan Preston was talking last year on the radio about Hearts youth players when Zanatta had scored for Hearts v Hamilton.

He was basically saying that Levein and Hearts have written off their U20s team in terms of competitiveness and would rather have any young players with some talent getting as much first team football as possible and sent out on loan across the country in all divisions.

What do we realistically get from winning the East of Scotland Development League other than kudos among the youth leagues. Surly it would benefit us more if these players were getting first team football and learning their trade as early as possible. So if we did have an emergency situation like we had this season at centre back then there's no worry about a player like McKay stepping in.

What about the 3 strain injuries that he has had? He was out for several months each time after Barr Mchattie we can't take the risk again .

I agree with you. But they could be effects from that injury. All depends how his pre season went after the accident really. Overall ability wise I don't think he would be a massive loss. He's young and raw which is fine but as you say with the injuries he's had it will stunt his development.

36 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Allan Preston was talking last year on the radio about Hearts youth players when Zanatta had scored for Hearts v Hamilton.

He was basically saying that Levein and Hearts have written off their U20s team in terms of competitiveness and would rather have any young players with some talent getting as much first team football as possible and sent out on loan across the country in all divisions.

Here's something else that appears to have passed you by.

http://www.raithrovers.net/33868/signings-loans-a-summary.htm

44 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I agree with you. But they could be effects from that injury. All depends how his pre season went after the accident really. Overall ability wise I don't think he would be a massive loss. He's young and raw which is fine but as you say with the injuries he's had it will stunt his development.

I think his first long spell out was before his accident he pulled up in the 2 nil home win over dunfermline and it's happened twice more . It's unfortunate but he just seems to get injured out of nothing appart from being kicked in the head that is.

Hello everyone, hope you're all keeping well.

I've been to very few games this season - mostly because I've generally been working weekends but also I've not really been feeling the love. So I'm not really qualified to express much in the way of opinions on players and stuff. But those who remember me will be unsurprised to know I don't see any point in changing manager at this stage, much as he wouldn't have been my first choice a year ago. He's got a mixed record in management  - as has anyone else we might get in, short of going for someone without any experience at all. So there's no guarantees either way, but given the chance to shuffle things around he's as likely to make a go of it next season as anyone.

Confess to having been a bit disappointed by the lack of info coming from the club over the last week or so. It's so bad I ended up having to come to p&b to find out what was going on. Delighted to see all my favourite East Fife fans are still around.

Here's something else that appears to have passed you by.
http://www.raithrovers.net/33868/signings-loans-a-summary.htm

Yes I did remember that and I found it fairly uninspiring at the time and still do to be honest. I think the club have found themselves in a bit of a no-mans land with this 'development fund' and now that they've started it, can't really stop it and have no real direction of where to take it.

I'd prefer to see some kind of strategy and pathway for the youth players. I'd be more likely to put money into the fund if I knew that players with potential weren't just getting signed up on contracts (good thing) and then left to sit on a bench not getting any kind of first team experience (bad thing) and then getting moved on because we can't stand in their way (usual outcome).

I don't think it's realistic for a club like Raith to think about selling on players for massive fees at our level like some on here seem to dream about. But I do think that becoming slightly more self sufficient is something that could be achievable. There are examples of this already with the likes of Vaughan, Matthews, Laidlaw Callachan and Bates as well as Mackie which I see as a result from McGlynns structure and influence. We've got players like McKay and some of the other younger players to look forward to but throwing them in and hoping for the best doesn't seem to me like the best option at that level. Sim is hell bent on relying on the youth players but unless these guys get bled in earlier at youth level then winning under 20s leagues and then stepping into professional football is a step only the exceptional players would manage seamlessly.

I think the BoD needs to consider its stance and ask whether they want to be a development club that bring players on then sell them or bring players in and use them. Because right now we don't really know what we're doing.

The polls are now open for the election of the next Supporter-Director of RRFC.

Full details at http://www.raithrovers.net/35376/raith-rovers-fc-supporter-director-election.htm 

Eligible voters* will be receiving an email over the next 24 hours with details of how to vote online.

Those that have not submitted a working email address will receive a postal ballot in the next 3 - 5 working days.

The polls remain open for 2 and a half weeks, closing at 10pm on Friday 1st June.

* To vote in the RRFC Supporter-Director election voters must be current adult members of any of the Raith Forum groups (Jim McMillan Club, 200 Club, Supporters Club, Rovers Down South and Raith Supporters Trust) OR an adult Raith Rovers FC season ticket holder

I hope Easton stays, he does a lot more for the club than people realise, I had a good chat with him about sponsorship for the club and he attends business clubs to try get local businesses to invest in the club. This is something the club is crap at. The corporate director Morgan is a waste of space and need shown the door as he does not have a clue.

6 hours ago, Niall Russell said:

Full details at http://www.raithrovers.net/35376/raith-rovers-fc-supporter-director-election.htm 

Eligible voters* will be receiving an email over the next 24 hours with details of how to vote online.

Those that have not submitted a working email address will receive a postal ballot in the next 3 - 5 working days.

The polls remain open for 2 and a half weeks, closing at 10pm on Friday 1st June.

* To vote in the RRFC Supporter-Director election voters must be current adult members of any of the Raith Forum groups (Jim McMillan Club, 200 Club, Supporters Club, Rovers Down South and Raith Supporters Trust) OR an adult Raith Rovers FC season ticket holder

Can we have a Martin Lewis candidate next time ?

one who speaks the truth ?

”I supported the Rovers on and off for a while,  I don’t know anything about being a director but I work hard in my job, and kicked a baw once”

”I love wearing a suit, and am free most weekends, my big passions are comfy seats and eating pies cut in half, at quarter to 4 on a Saturday”

”so please vote for me”

14 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

:( AstroTurf looks bad enough at Legoland stadiums, but it'll be a really sad sight at Stark's.

Plus it rules out my chances of ever playing there if A) I had footballing ability or B) Was a footballer.

One of the best game of fitba I've seen this season was over in the Netherlands - 2nd Division game, SC Cambuur v FC Emmen - on a synthetic surfrace, but the fast paced passing play was brilliant to watch. The ball moved perfectly over the surface, no dodgy bounces, - almost a perfect surface to play on.  The temperature that night was minus 7 - guaranteed had that been played on grass, it would have been postponed! I think the new modern style of the synthetic surfaces are much much better these days, and we need to give it a chance, and at the end of the day, give the club a better chance of survival.

I'm excited for this group of candidates. Having read through their profiles, I think Bill Gilby is the one that stands out. His profile sands out more and his professional experience seems a lot more than the others. The others kind of just tell a story about how they've supported the club and what they would like changed.

I don't think the supporters director on the BoD will have much of a say over anything major that's being decided but they will need to be much better than the last one. They have a chance to give the fans a voice in the running of the club and I'd hope that they can be approachable for supporters and be able to regularly update the fans on what's going on. Sitting in the directors box or the announcers cupboard every Saturday isn't being approachable in my eyes. These guys should be down in the concourse every home game and running Q&As regularly for supporters to get an insight on what's going on.