The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Just googled it and it’s recently changed from £80000 per club to £32000 per club. That’s a bummer

Was that not under the older 2017 sky/ bbc deal?

Its now Premier Sports/ BBC that have the TV deal which could see less per club for televised games.

Premier Sports have first and second  picks of games from rounds 4

33 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That was a free kick...

Obviously it's a bit of a joke. Bonus point for anyone who can name the last player to score from directly taking a corner for us...

Actually I don't know what you mean.

If it's who scored from a corner, I think it was Murray last season.

If it's who scored from taking the corner and the ball sailing into the net, i think it's Sloan.

Edited by renton

You actually pine for the days of Davo's corners, where he put so much backspin on them that they came across the box slowly and with a flat trajectory, only to be attacked by one of Marvin Andrews, Mark Campbell or Todd Lumsden, who'd all been hovering around the edge of the box like queued wide body airliners waiting to land.

16 minutes ago, renton said:

You actually pine for the days of Davo's corners, where he put so much backspin on them that they came across the box slowly and with a flat trajectory, only to be attacked by one of Marvin Andrews, Mark Campbell or Todd Lumsden, who'd all been hovering around the edge of the box like queued wide body airliners waiting to land.

Andy Tod too for the first half of that season. Ridiculous stuff. Slowest defence in the league but incredible at set pieces.

19 minutes ago, renton said:

Actually I don't know what you mean.

If it's who scored from a corner, I think it was Murray last season.

If it's who scored from taking the corner and the ball sailing into the net, i think it's Sloan.

Correct on both counts I think. Sloan scored against Stirling away, on a really windy day, direct from the corner. Pretty sure Bobby Linn did the same for East Fife that day against the Shire at Ochilview.

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Andy Tod too for the first half of that season. Ridiculous stuff. Slowest defence in the league but incredible at set pieces.

Correct on both counts I think. Sloan scored against Stirling away, on a really windy day, direct from the corner. Pretty sure Bobby Linn did the same for East Fife that day against the Shire at Ochilview.

Yeah, we were awful that day  and lost 2-1. We were awful that whole season against Stirling who were a fucking good outfit for that tier (think they had a really young Snodgrass on loan?). Our only win was a 1-0 at theirs where Steve Bonar scored from a corner stabbed home on a drenched park where the ball was barely moving.

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I never thought I'd be sitting at the end of November thinking "Thank f**k Nisbet has signed a new deal. Hopefully we can get Flanagan tied down quickly too". For all his criticisms, Smith did make some excellent signings in the summer. The only one who has been underwhelming is Milne.

Yeah, we need Flanagan and Armstrong tied down quickly. As much as their support might look down on it, I imagine McKinnon might see two wingers with freedom of contract who can actually hold their own at least at top end of league 1 as a pretty decent deal, given he'll be looking to pretty much build a whole new squad at Falkirk.

9 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, we need Flanagan and Armstrong tied down quickly. As much as their support might look down on it, I imagine McKinnon might see two wingers with freedom of contract who can actually hold their own at least at top end of league 1 as a pretty decent deal, given he'll be looking to pretty much build a whole new squad at Falkirk.

I'm a bit worried that Flanagan hasn't signed yet as it has been obvious for 2-3 months he would have a big part to play for us this season.

Considering Armstrong was unattached I'm quite surprised that McKinnon didn't get him in to have a look at before we got in for him. Maybe the fact that Wedderburn will know him from last season helped us there.