The New Raith Rovers Thread

Christ, some people are desperate to be dramatic, eh? Everything has to either be agony or ecstacy. 

We've lost one game. Narrowly, at that, away from home to a decent side. There are 34 more games to go. Maybe we will get relegated, who knows, but it's far, far too early to tell. 

Not everything needs to be amazing or abysmal. There's room for nuance. 

7 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Christ, some people are desperate to be dramatic, eh? Everything has to either be agony or ecstacy. 

We've lost one game. Narrowly, at that, away from home to a decent side. There are 34 more games to go. Maybe we will get relegated, who knows, but it's far, far too early to tell. 

Not everything needs to be amazing or abysmal. There's room for nuance. 

I think after the collapse last week we are all a bit edgy 😉 

33 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Regan Hendry is going places, and am following his career ups and downs, on Twitter. I bet am no the only one. Sorrrrry, for not being a negative Les Dennis like you. 🖖

Yeah. He's gone to a team of tree hugging, rabbit food eating weirdos in the worst league in England. 

The only way is up I guess. 

Hendry has not been adequately replaced. We were never going to replace him directly, but Riley-Snow is the replacement and is not the same kind of player. I've seen him once and was not impressed, but others are better placed to judge his ability. 

Unfortunately, this means if we are missing a midfielder, we will struggle. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah. He's gone to a team of tree hugging, rabbit food eating weirdos in the worst league in England. 

The only way is up I guess. 

The word play wi Vegan Hendry funny tho.  A like the light hearted life. all the best Matthew Kelly. 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I think we do have good options going forward better than we thought during the summer and we are also strong in defence. Which just magnifies the deficiencies in the middle and which of course will have a knock on effect for attack and defence. 

Musonda as a midfield anchor. He is comfortable on the ball and can pass the ball at least but he would be makeshift. 

Connolly as an attacking mid behind the forwards?

I think the loss of hendry in the summer was massive but inevitable so it should have been planned for. What is hampering us is the loss of spencer after 1 game and the uncertainty of Matthews injury situation. 

You’ve got an idea, Musonda as a DM/sweeper/base of triangle with two of Tait/Matthews/Spencer wide and Vaughan at the point…however, then we’re stuck with only two of Zanatta/Poplatnik/Connolly up top.

We’ve clearly been best with Connolly AND Zanatta sweeping forward wide and cutting in, and Poplatnik and Vaughan in the middle. Our back four is pretty locked in for the wide two and  the middle is offering five options for two spots, although Musonda and McKay are our backup wide defenders. The question becomes, who are the two best midfield players for this lineup? Is Tait an every game starter…is Matthews the answer…is Spencer as good as we thought after the recent stretch…is Riley-Snow competent to play for us…is Arnott a surprise in the wings. If we are going 4-2-1-3 moving forward, we have to establish who the 2 are…if we’re playing with a 4-3-3 is Vaughan really a midfield player…if we go 3-4-3, where is our attacking coming from.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You’ve got an idea, Musonda as a DM/sweeper/base of triangle with two of Tait/Matthews/Spencer wide and Vaughan at the point…however, then we’re stuck with only two of Zanatta/Poplatnik/Connolly up top.

We’ve clearly been best with Connolly AND Zanatta sweeping forward wide and cutting in, and Poplatnik and Vaughan in the middle. Our back four is pretty locked in for the wide two and  the middle is offering five options for two spots, although Musonda and McKay are our backup wide defenders. The question becomes, who are the two best midfield players for this lineup? Is Tait an every game starter…is Matthews the answer…is Spencer as good as we thought after the recent stretch…is Riley-Snow competent to play for us…is Arnott a surprise in the wings. If we are going 4-2-1-3 moving forward, we have to establish who the 2 are…if we’re playing with a 4-3-3 is Vaughan really a midfield player…if we go 3-4-3, where is our attacking coming from.

Arnott isn’t the answer mate, spencer and matthews are our best 2 . I love your enthusiasm for young players but he isn’t ready, he would be better out on loan as well at Cowdenbeath ( he may end up there🤷🏻‍♂️) zanatta and Connolly are never going to work back especially Dario . I would like to see tait, spencer and matthews in a midfield 3 , Vaughan just behind and poplatnik and another decent striker( maybe keatings 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also saw on the EFL highlights Port Vale's goalkeeper sent off for fouling an opposition forward out on the touchline. 

Varian was in a far better position to shoot before he was cleaned out, but Ridgers escapes with a yellow. I'd love to hear a plausible explanation. 

Second best today but it did take a wonder strike to beat us, so it’s not yet panic stations. Desperately missed Vaughan and Spencer in midfield though and looked lightweight upfront.  Felt like we never really had the belief that we could win. 

Great to be back at an away game but really haven’t missed some of our support. The absolute drivel some shout in a desperate attempt to be funny is tragic. Also the abuse around Duku’s religion and someone calling an Inverness fan walking past a ‘poof’ was embarrassing. It’s 2021. Maybe think about evolving a little. 

Who shat in [mention]Ro Sham Bo [/mention]s coco pops?

Funny how we can be such a different team this year with just a few key changes.

Defence is far superior, Dick, Berra and Lang all appear to be good bits of business.

Still not really convinced with most of the other signings.
Poplatnik looks useful, but I think one of the major things missing from the others is work ethic.

Didn’t see the game today but Zanatta frustrated me last week as I always felt he was likely to shy away from the challenge.
Successful McGlynn teams have always been built on every man on the pitch giving his all for his team mates.

It doesn’t feel to me like we’ve got that just now. Hopefully it’ll come.

34 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

At least we didn't lose four!  How come we came 3rd last season yet our budget seems smaller?

I’m guessing it has cost us more to keep guys on.

2 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Arnott isn’t the answer mate, spencer and matthews are our best 2 . I love your enthusiasm for young players but he isn’t ready, he would be better out on loan as well at Cowdenbeath ( he may end up there🤷🏻‍♂️) zanatta and Connolly are never going to work back especially Dario . I would like to see tait, spencer and matthews in a midfield 3 , Vaughan just behind and poplatnik and another decent striker( maybe keatings 🤷🏻‍♂️

Riley-Snow doesn’t seem the answer, let’s see Arnott. Zanatta and Connolly with Poplatnik and Vaughan delivered nicely, I disagree.