The New Raith Rovers Thread

From that post match interview it doesn’t sound promising on the additions front, although as others have said that can be just the standard line. But doubt there’s any spare cash floating about given finances or willingness to invest/speculate due to what’s happening off the field. From performances to date, sticking with what we’ve got is probably just about good enough to avoid relegation. 

30 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

From that post match interview it doesn’t sound promising on the additions front, although as others have said that can be just the standard line. But doubt there’s any spare cash floating about given finances or willingness to invest/speculate due to what’s happening off the field. From performances to date, sticking with what we’ve got is probably just about good enough to avoid relegation. 

Did you notice he’s “happy” with the squad, which also doesn’t scream that we’re looking to pump some lads out on loan either. With O’Riordan gone, Young’s loan return to Elgin May fall victim to a numbers game, we may need the cover at LB, especially if Ngwenya has an injury that will extend beyond a game or two and I guess IM isn’t sold on Masson yet. Mahady is, much like Frederiksen (and, until today, McBride) just hanging about like a fart in a phone box, so why can’t we unload a couple on loans? Ross is a huge question mark, and now Gullan seems to be joining him, so we likely have to sign Connell. Vaughan, IDK, he just isn’t Vaughan…that might be the future reality or he may suddenly step it back up.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

McBride actually played against Murray’s Airdrie side twice last season.

Are you honestly so naive/stupid to think manager’s nowadays watch everyone they sign in person? Wyscout and clips of players offered by agents play a large part in signings nowadays. McGlynn admitted as much with how he sourced Musonda, Duku and Ugwu and he even said he hadn’t watched Poplatnik at all when he signed (although he had actually played and scored against us the previous season.)

You obviously don’t base your whole squad on players in this way (and we haven’t) but it’s very common practice for ‘scouting’ of some new signings to be done online nowadays and it can be very effective, see the signing of Connor O’Riordan. It’s a bit more in depth than ‘YouTube videos’ of course but you already Btw, I’m hurt by words

Look, if Murray’s happy with our limited squad then so be it. The real enemy is the fuckwit board members that sanctioned McGlynn’s ludicrous signing policy. Bloody 2 and a half year deals for Ross, Gullan etal. I’ll be honest I wanted Gullan to sign.  But He’s spent more time on the injury list than play a game. Why is he called The Hammer?? We should’ve went for McNulty. If we end up in a relegation scrap and go down, thats when we seriously need to go back to a part time set up. We don’t have the crowds to substantiate a full time format. 

21 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I’ll be honest I wanted Gullan to sign.  But He’s spent more time on the injury list than play a game.

Just because you wanted him to sign, there's no need to be annoyed about his injury history.

No one gets annoyed about Lewis Vaughan's injury history, injury is part of the game, it's unfortunate, but no one is to blame.

I think folk are taking the ‘happy with the squad’ quote too literally. 

Despite what some folk are desperate to believe, Murray is not a moron and there is no way he’ll be ‘happy’ with our lack of goals so far. 

Reading between the lines I think the answer to the question is not that he doesn’t think he needs anyone else, rather that he hasn’t yet found a suitable person to bring in. 
If he says he’s happy with what we’ve got then it keeps fan expectations low and keeps player morale up. 

If he comes out and says what we all (including him) can clearly see (ie we desperately need a striker who can score goals) but then is unable to find one he then has unhappy fans but more importantly a squad who knows that he’s said publicly they aren’t good enough which is never going to motivate them. 

There’s no way managers can be 100% honest all the time, sometimes you’ve got to look past the literal and read between the lines a little. 

Murray got caught out at the last window by saying he had x, y & z in the pipeline for signing, then lost them and looked a puddin, so I guess he is playing his cards close to his chest this window.

Connell hasn't done enough for me to consider extending his loan but perhaps the tie up with Crewe might bear fruit from other League 2 or 1 sides if they put the word round how well O'Riodan has developed here and been given lots of game time.

Frederiksen still baffles me, why jump through hoops to sign him then not play him, is he really so bad? Give the lad some game time, help him develop, may as well make him work for his pay.

The persistent injuries to Matthews, Ross and Gullan need to be addressed, we don't need a bunch of players, on longish contracts, constantly unavailable. 

One signing I think is imperative and should be arranged in this window for the start of next season is a replacement for MacDonald. He has been great for us but he is getting older and picking up more wee knocks that affect either his performance or availability and I don't see that improving.

It's complete nonsense to suggest that Gullan and Ross were part of a poor signing policy. Ross was training with EPL under 23 teams. Gullan had improved with every loan spell he'd had with us. Both of them have been unlucky with injuries and there's probably a degree of confidence issues. 

There's elements of risks with every signings.  We brought in two forwards who both had about 30 goals between them after we'd been relegated to league 1 and couldn't make them fit. Our fans (myself included) were suitably underwhelmed when we signed Kevin Nisbet after he'd failed to score in a bounce game against Stirling. How many times have we seen a player get a couple of goals then look completely unstoppable? 

Whether people like it or not we are in this situation due to poor governance over a players budget last season when by the sounds of it Mcglynn was dishing out contract extensions like sweeties and signing you know who , Murray inherited a decent squad however it may not suit his style of play and with over half the squad here for another season he is kinda stuck what he’s got. Ross and Gullan I would imagine will be on decent money  yet have hardly featured due to continual injury and regards to Fredriksen and Connell we have no money maybe that’s all the Rovers could afford Murray isn’t stupid of course he would love to sign better quality players but his hands are tied . The team have won , a clean sheet , yet still certain quarters are still having a go at the manager do you think Mcglynn would have done any better no chance ! Look at the team he had at his disposal last season the football was horrendous from the December onwards I just feel the fans are needing to get behind the team and manager we are only 3 points off the playoffs which is incredible going by some fans rantings and ravings and it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t even go to the games .

Edited by basher brash

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's complete nonsense to suggest that Gullan and Ross were part of a poor signing policy. Ross was training with EPL under 23 teams. 

EPL under 23 teams are stacked with utter dross like Ruben Sammut (Chelsea to the Falkirk team that got hilariously relegated), and Kazia Sterling (Tottenham to Morton which nearly did the same under that tit McPherson). 

I don't think Ross and Gullan were bad singings in terms of the perceived quality that was being added to the squad.   Both had impressed in their previous spells. However, it appears a big chunk of cash was spent bringing them in - and regardless of hindsight being used, it's looking likely that one or both of them are very expensive mistakes.

What concerns me is that Ross' development fee due to Aberdeen looked like putting off every potential suitor before we signed him.  Another one of those "Why did nobody else sign him" questions.

Regarding Gullan, my thoughts when we signed him were "Decent signing, but I hope we don't stick a number 9 on his back and hope for the best" :lol: He is a decent player, but he isnt a centre forward.  And to be honest, I'm not sure what is best position is.

At the end of the day, last season saw 3 x televised cup ties on Premier Sports, 2 of which away to Celtic - and came off the back of a 3rd place finish the season before, as well as the associated prize money.  Mcglynn spent that to deliver a meaningless mid table finish, it has hampered this season, and Murray looks on course to deliver the same with much less money - and without the shitshow scandal that accompanied it.

Playing devils advocate, you could argue that there might not be much need for huge movement this window.  We are looking unlikely to finish in either playoffs, so what if we don't add anything now?  I'm not saying I agree with that thought process, but it may be the case.

Edited by CALDERON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

EPL under 23 teams are stacked with utter dross like Ruben Sammut (Chelsea to the Falkirk team that got hilariously relegated), and Kazia Sterling (Tottenham to Morton which nearly did the same under that tit McPherson). 

Or Ethon Varian and Timmy Abraham of our own experience.

More broadly Ethan Ross is a good player on his own merits as seen last season and his loan spell at us before that. Like Ross Matthews he seems to have developed a recurring pain issue that is preventing him getting any kind of prolonged run in the side.

Whether or not he's worth the outlay in terms of long contract and fee we paid for him will really come down to how that issue is resolved or managed. 

at the 4-2 defeat to East Fife in 2019, I shouted for Mcglynn to "sign a fucking centre back", and I thought that laser beams were going to shoot from his varifocals when he turned around.  After that game, he mentioned that there were no more signings incoming, or words to that affect.  Steven Anderson signed a few days later.

Murray got absolute pelters on here for hinting at signings that didnt happen in the summer, so I'd like to hope he's keeping his cards close to his chest. 

Gullan has definitely improved under Murray and getting better at the number 9 role imo, not great by any stretch of the imagination but solid enough and young enough to develop more if played there more often ( which he has been) do feel there is some ott criticism about yesterday, we won , kept a clean sheet and had 3 first team players out in matthews, Ross and Stanton . Not a bad days work