The New Raith Rovers Thread

36 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm not sure the Wrexham documentary is representative of what would happen if we are taken over by Americans...

As it happens though, I am currently watching this at the moment and there's an episode about a dodgy owner which isn't a million miles away from where we've been in the not too distant past and where we could end up again once the sale is done. 

10 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

The Hong Kong based Silverbear Capital, fronted by Gordon Smith, has been in contact through a middle man......... that's what's stated in the Courier , I'm very wary of this

Yeah, you'd think the dafty based in Scotland would be able to get in touch himself. Wonder where he learned about doing things in a convoluted and in no way dodgy manner?

27 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

The Hong Kong based Silverbear Capital, fronted by Gordon Smith, has been in contact through a middle man......... that's what's stated in the Courier , I'm very wary of this

Gordon Smith fronting Silverbear worry me less than the rumours the actual person behind the move is Dellios, perhaps with Fraser.

57 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm not sure the Wrexham documentary is representative of what would happen if we are taken over by Americans...

probably not, but if someone could drop Mark Cuban a line about an opportunity to do with a Scottish club what’s happening at Wrexham…for less cash and quicker results…

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Gordon Smith fronting Silverbear worry me less than the rumours the actual person behind the move is Dellios, perhaps with Fraser

That's the big question that needs answered, surely after all the crazy stupid decisions of the past Sim wouldn't sell to someone who was being backed by of all people an investment group , who then goes tits up and us along with him

See Conner Wickham has left Forrest Green at the end of his short-term contract, now before anyone says can't afford him I know we can't but would be nice to have a striker who knows where the goals are and is experienced. Maybe Regan could persuade him to come to us.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I’m not naive I was using that as an example compared with a Chinese’s investment firm taking over the Rovers , It could potentially be a good move 

7 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Our big problem is we're not creating great chances for anyone to put away, strikers or otherwise from open play. So many times yesterday we're around their box and pick the wrong option, or just hit and hope across the box. When was the last time we had someone successfully found when running in behind or get on the end of a cutback from some good play in and around the box. Its occasionally like we're back to the mid 90s of hitting high crosses at Peter Duffield and wondering why it doesn't work out.

Our midfield sit far too deep, Spencer is almost loath to cross the half way line at times and Brown treats the ball like a hot potato when he's got it. Vaughan just isn't the same player and for me if everyone is fit, he sits on the bench and is an impact sub. Easton tries but more often than not, it doesn't come off. We missed Stanton as a runner from deep and someone who can close opposition down and force them to turn over the ball. Gullan spends his time trying to win headers that no one anticipates and if he does find someone with it, he's on the ground or not quick enough to catch up with play again. Connolly is the only consistent goal threat we have and yesterday was an off day from him in that regard summed up by a really poor penalty. 

To be fair, Millen has been delivering crosses like the one that lead to the goal, all season.

By the far the biggest problem is that we play games either without a genuine centre forward, or with one who isn't very good.

Another interview with our Chairman which gives the sense he is a passenger in the whole situation.  Out of touch platitudes of "one thing or maybe another will happen...or maybe not"

I learned we might shift high earners, maybe not though. Silverbear might go forward to bid but he doesn't know.  Why doesn't he just stop talking to the press till he actually knows something.

Dripping news to local press which is so vague does little to help anyone. Also the "I'm new to all this" line has been used a few times. Please at least fool us into believing you've got this in hand Chairman. 

38 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

To be fair, Millen has been delivering crosses like the one that lead to the goal, all season.

By the far the biggest problem is that we play games either without a genuine centre forward, or with one who isn't very good.

One player, playing crosses to forwards not known for their aerial abilty isn't going to get results often. When it does, its when the ball has got to ground level again, which is a shame because Millen has put in some great balls at times. The rest of the team are still not creating chances that our current forwards can make use of, its all well and good complaining and blaming the forward but you have to play to the strengths and abilities of those in the side and we just don't as much as we should be. 

5 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

Why doesn't he just stop talking to the press till he actually knows something.

This. He and others found a vow of silence pretty easy to maintain in the aftermath of the Goodwillie saga so it’s not as if it’s hard. 

This bottom line is this guy should never have been made Chairman after his part in the DG decision, and nothing he has said or done since has provided any evidence that he has the skill or ability to be the kind of strong voice we need at the club. If there is a takeover, a clear-out of the current board and a new Chairman/Woman is essential.  

Although this interview hasn’t particularly given us any new information, the chairman had said to expect some information soon. Surly this is better than them saying sweet f all and a random statement comes out. Can you imagine if nothing was said at all? Some people would be in rage about how poor communication is. Something is better than nothing at the end of the day. 

22 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

One player, playing crosses to forwards not known for their aerial abilty isn't going to get results often. When it does, its when the ball has got to ground level again, which is a shame because Millen has put in some great balls at times. The rest of the team are still not creating chances that our current forwards can make use of, its all well and good complaining and blaming the forward but you have to play to the strengths and abilities of those in the side and we just don't as much as we should be. 

There have been umpteen missed sitters and chances this season.  The problem hasn't been creating chances, it's been scoring them.  The stats don't lie.  We have plenty shots, plenty shots on target, and nowhere near enough goals.  Whilst shots can be a bit of a misleading stat, to be ranked 4th for that and ranked 7th for goals scored says its own thing.

It's a double edged sword. Midfielders can't create chances out of nothing.  You need an element of presence, movement and attacking the ball up front.  We don't have that.

What are the strengths and abilities of our strikers? If they aren't the required abilities for a centre forward, then you can't blame everyone else for not playing to them.  What chances are they expected to create for players that aren't particularly strong,  particularly good in the air, dangers from set pieces and crosses, or with little in the way of clinical finishing? We can't walk the ball in the net or midfield your way to success.  

Edited by CALDERON

17 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

This. He and others found a vow of silence pretty easy to maintain in the aftermath of the Goodwillie saga so it’s not as if it’s hard. 

This bottom line is this guy should never have been made Chairman after his part in the DG decision, and nothing he has said or done since has provided any evidence that he has the skill or ability to be the kind of strong voice we need at the club. If there is a takeover, a clear-out of the current board and a new Chairman/Woman is essential.  

I certainly won’t defend the part he played in the DGW signing but I think you’re being a tad harsh on him. I don’t think there was anyone else willing to take on the role and whoever did, they were never going to be given a proper crack at running the club. Sim’s name might not be above the door anymore but it’s him that makes every decision. I think Macdonald has a thankless task at the moment.

Edited by Dalziel8

7 minutes ago, Dalziel8 said:

I certainly won’t defend the part he played in the DGW signing but I think you’re being a tad harsh on him. I don’t think there was anyone else willing to take on the role and whoever did, they were never going to be given a proper crack at running the club. Sim’s name might not be above the door anymore but it’s him that makes every decision. I think Macdonald has a thankless task at the moment.

See your point and perhaps I’m being a little unfair on him as an individual. As you say a thankless task and merely a figurehead as Sim is in charge of everything and makes all the decisions. Would almost be better to say nothing though given those circumstances as half truths and guesswork just makes matters worse and adds to the uncertainty. 

Edited by roverthemoon