The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ross is a good player when fit and he cause other teams problems, the issue is I don't see him displacing any of the current starters and so he's going to be a but part player until the inevitable injuries pile up. 

6 hours ago, raith1974 said:

That's why the club have IM, John Potter and links with agents. Partick just signed a 23 Yr old big CH. 

A player who failed to start, or even make the bench, in over half his matches in the Irish Premier League, and with very little experience. Basically it’s akin to our signing of Nolan last year, a huge punt…not the experienced CH many are calling for.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Short of several CB signings, we aren't equipped to go three at the back so needs to be some variation of a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. It's worrying that he still thinks he can make the 4-1-3-2 viable to be honest, unless he has a plan for some one to drop closer to the sitting mid when we don't have the ball, which is a hard shift.

Not to be cynical, but while I understand your point on the lack of enough depth to go three at the back every game, we can still do it now and then.

Millen/Watson/Dick, Corr/Watson/Dick and Masson/Watson/Dick are all viable three back choices…even slotting in Brown for Watson or Millen is viable.

If you’re worried about defensive assistance, 3 in back, 2 DM’s in front, with the two wide mids falling back for support.

1 hour ago, renton said:

I dunno, if he gets fit he'd give us a bit of raw pace that we don't always have from other players. He's a good player.

Yet to see him be any quicker than anyone he's been up against, feel him being classed as quick is a myth, he also doesn't like to take people on out wide. Given our options (injuries not withstanding) I find it difficult to see where he fits in the squad overall. 

19 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not to be cynical, but while I understand your point on the lack of enough depth to go three at the back every game, we can still do it now and then.

Millen/Watson/Dick, Corr/Watson/Dick and Masson/Watson/Dick are all viable three back choices…even slotting in Brown for Watson or Millen is viable.

If you’re worried about defensive assistance, 3 in back, 2 DM’s in front, with the two wide mids falling back for support.

We'll pretty much be playing a back 3 when attacking if we play a 4132. To make it work we will need brown as the 1 though to form part of the 3 allowing the fullbacks to push on. We will also need at least one of the 3 to have a bit of pace, which is lacking at the moment. Its a system that if you get right, is very effective. I'm not sure we have the players to play that way though. Dick and millen aren't the quickest to get back either so it really does leave you open to a quick counter when your attack fails. I think it should be more of a plan b system which is potentially why Murray is actually testing it out pre season. 

It's just turned July so the knicker wetting by some is pretty ridiculous tbh. 

Big Kev Dabrowski is going to fit in perfectly at Starks. Already a bit of a fans favourite, you can tell he feels at home here too. Gourlay in the Kelty goal was phenomenal. If we hadn’t signed our Polish wonder I’d have seriously  settled for their keeper. Both keepers had a good game 

Edited by Stardog_champion

Goals against us yesterday came originally from our losing it and not winning it back in midfield then secondly from Millen not getting tight or closing his man down. 

Preseason friendlies are all about sussing things out, as long as lessons are learned results don't matter too much, having said that this is the Fife Cup and if bookings count results should too.

Somebody said yesterday the Fife Cup is the 2nd oldest cup competition in Scotland after the Scottish cup.

28 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Goals against us yesterday came originally from our losing it and not winning it back in midfield then secondly from Millen not getting tight or closing his man down. 

Preseason friendlies are all about sussing things out, as long as lessons are learned results don't matter too much, having said that this is the Fife Cup and if bookings count results should too.

Somebody said yesterday the Fife Cup is the 2nd oldest cup competition in Scotland after the Scottish cup.

I'm of the belief it's not just the second oldest in Scotland, it's also the second oldest in the world 

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Does anyone actually have like the full list of teams that participate in the Fife Cup and how the draws are done etc? Is there access to this info somewhere? 

For this year, and some a few back:

https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/national-cups-play-offs-23-24/fife-cup-22-24/

1 hour ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

I'm of the belief it's not just the second oldest in Scotland, it's also the second oldest in the world 

Seems unlikely…but the accuracy of Wikipedia is legendary too…doesn’t even list the Fife Cup on this list, but it’s reported to date to 1882…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_football_competitions

44 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Is it not one of the oldest trophies? Rather than competition. 

Could well be, but the original was…

3 hours ago, Scottydog said:

…talking about the competition, but the follow-on…

2 hours ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

…posited the world without referencing if it was competition or trophy that was referenced. IDK.

6 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I agree. Ross IS a good player and has suffered from one particular chronic injury. It's to be hoped that surgery and sensible rehabilitation (restricting his game time until fully fit) will restore him to the player we used to have. I'd be in no hurry to offload.

I think a lot of this comes down to whether he can establish himself in the team again as we are lousy with competition in that area. There's no doubt he's talented, although I imagine he's also one of our higher earners. We can't afford to have our higher earners being bit-part players. 

If it were the difference between a good CB or loaning a kid from Hearts, I would let him go. In no hurry to do so, but non-footballing reasons might make sense. From a footballing perspective it would however be set up to backfire spectacularly. 

Edited by Michael W

What does everyone think the attendance will be at the Dunfermline game? Looking at the ticketing system it seems like there’s still plenty of seats. A lot of availability still in the singing section which may be worrying?

Edited by Raith1234

I would get rid of Ross tomorrow if it was possible. He's a waste of a probably not inconsiderable wage.

Punt him on loan to Cove or Peterhead for the season and then release him at the end of the season. 

At least he has the family bakery to fall back on because I have a feeling he'll need some alternative employment options come next summer.