The New Raith Rovers Thread

Dabrowski needs to command his box at least the 6 yard box, never came for anything.

McGill never a rightback, every attack came down his side.  Positional he was not there. 

Corr and Watson looked okay.

We badly missed Brown and or Matthews in midfield. Too many gaps in there.

Vaughan and Gullan both looked good and we need to try and get Hamilton in there as we lack physicality across the pitch. Not impressed with Smith, appears to lack confidence and never looks like he will score a goal. 

We need to get Connolly, Brown, Matthews, Millen back and need a commanding CH signed along with someone who can properly cover fullback, not a midfielder.

Aye, there's absolutely nothing between the teams. We had chances in the second half but Mehmet made some excellent saves. Likewise, Dunfermline didn't create much in the second half, but when they did get the ball Wighton should've buried it. We're currently missing Millen, Brown, Matthews, Connolly and Ross who could all feasibly make a claim for a starting spot - while Jack Hamilton will still be getting up to full fitness. At this point, with all respect to Matthews and Ross both currently seem perpetually injured which makes it more difficult, but the rest are all key players. 

Going forward, it did feel like we had flurries of creativity which fizzled out as the game went on. Callum Smith didn't really seem to offer much, but I'm sure he'll be an asset over the course of the season. Corr looked absolutely fine other than that one error where he almost tried to sit down and head the ball at the same time. That'll be his first competitive game outside of the Lowland League. 

I thought the singing section worked out ok. It would definitely be better if it was the southern end of the Railway stand but that's where we're at for now. I'd expect the next time it's done, then they'll see more numbers in there. 

Difficult game to measure competitive but not played at 100%. Similar issues to last season. Defence is a work in progress, McGill struggled a bit and Corr is raw and naive. Pretty slick play middle to front but the wingers didn't get into the game first half. 

Plenty of positives though gullan and Vaughan do link up well and Easton scored a great goal. 

Now onto the important stuff how we're the fudge doughnuts?

A couple of other points from today, our social media updates claimed, at lunchtime, we had sold 4500 tickets and only a few remained in the railway stand. The official attendance was given as 4,000 and the railway stand was half full at best. While I fully understand trying to put a positive spin on things, let’s just stick to facts.

Secondly, fair play to Bene today. He hit a woman in the face with the ball who needed medical attention. When the HT whistle sounded he went right over to check she was ok.

Was a cagey 1-1 in the end. They scored by targeting our weak point, we scored a fairly decent goal in return and probably worked their keeper harder.

Dunfermline have a distinctive counter attacking style, but thought we coped with it reasonably well.

Still not sure what to make of that Rovers team. Easton and Stanton did reasonably well covering an unfamiliar role, Gullan looked braver than last season and stayed on side better (though against a deeper back line), Watson and Corr covered CB well, Mullin looked tidy and technical.

I dunno, I feel like plan A is getting Mullin to hammer the ball at Hamilton and we haven't had much chance to see that yet. We are certainly faster getting the ball forward. 

After that, still hard to know what end of the table we'll be competing at.

6 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Difficult game to measure competitive but not played at 100%. Similar issues to last season. Defence is a work in progress, McGill struggled a bit and Corr is raw and naive. Pretty slick play middle to front but the wingers didn't get into the game first half. 

Plenty of positives though gullan and Vaughan do link up well and Easton scored a great goal. 

Now onto the important stuff how we're the fudge doughnuts?

Hold up, you c***s got fudge doughnuts?!

2 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

A couple of other points from today, our social media updates claimed, at lunchtime, we had sold 4500 tickets and only a few remained in the railway stand. The official attendance was given as 4,000 and the railway stand was half full at best. While I fully understand trying to put a positive spin on things, let’s just stick to facts.

Secondly, fair play to Bene today. He hit a woman in the face with the ball who needed medical attention. When the HT whistle sounded he went right over to check she was ok.

Aye attendance was given as 4024. Some folk might have seen the pishing rain and decided to stay in the pub, especially if said pub was showing the game (were any?).

Edited by DA Baracus

My laddie wanted to go in the singing section so meant I had to go with him. Must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it in there. Cracking view and the atmosphere was good however you probably had to be in amongst it to appreciate it. Being close to the away fans made for some good banter. Personally I can see it being a damp squib against someone like say ICT or Queens Park. There was a good variety of ages there but suspect a good few came out purely because it was a derby. Felt the stewards were a lot more laxxed than in the south stand however some usual nonsense such as Norrie songs and flares. 

5 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I thought mullin was a bit disappointing tbh , maybe given his experience I expected him to just slot in, corr did better than expected and big Kev does need to command a bit more. 

Don't expect Mullin to pick up the ball and run at the full back, he's more about finding or making space for a cross. Thought he looked tidy today, definitely a good range on all his deliveries.

Just now, Raithie said:

My laddie wanted to go in the singing section so meant I had to go with him. Must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it in there. Cracking view and the atmosphere was good however you probably had to be in amongst it to appreciate it. Being close to the away fans made for some good banter. Personally I can see it being a damp squib against someone like say ICT or Queens Park. There was a good variety of ages there but suspect a good few came out purely because it was a derby. Felt the stewards were a lot more laxxed than in the south stand however some usual nonsense such as Norrie songs and flares. 

Aside from the flares (it's your own pitch your fans are damaging!) and a wee dafty running on the pitch, I thought the younger folk there did alright.

Just now, renton said:

Don't expect Mullin to pick up the ball and run at the full back, he's more about finding or making space for a cross. Thought he looked tidy today, definitely a good range on all his deliveries.

Maybe that’s what I was expecting, can’t think I have seen him play in flesh much . We are still trying to fit bodies in but apart from the penalties it was good to be back at the fitba today . 

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Aside from the flares (it's your own pitch your fans are damaging!) and a wee dafty running on the pitch, I thought the younger folk there did alright.

The only downside of it is that theres no moderation. The chants of ‘Paedo’ aimed at Bene would probably have been shouted down after the first airing!

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Maybe that’s what I was expecting, can’t think I have seen him play in flesh much . We are still trying to fit bodies in but apart from the penalties it was good to be back at the fitba today . 

Aye, I avoided the friendlies this year for the most part, so that was my first view of the new guys. 

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

The only downside of it is that theres no moderation. The chants of ‘Paedo’ aimed at Bene would probably have been shouted down after the first airing!

Never quite understood why folk were shouting that. Apart from that there was a few new pro Rovers chants which made a change. Also everyone was standing and stewards weren't bothered, however the type of seats in there makes for some hairy moments if you're not careful. Both me and my laddie were on our arses after folk fell onto us creating a domino effect once we equalised. 

Thought Corr was good today, one incident aside where he tried to duck under a header back to the keeper that hit him on the back, though he cleaned that up with ease. Can't say I am worried with him playing at the back. 

Can't wait to have Millen, Brown, Connolly and Matthews back in the squad though 

I’m not too down after the result itself. It’s a pain in the arse but, ach, it’s penalties in the League Cup groups.

Bigger seethe for me today was the b*****d queue for getting anything from the kiosk. A full 20’ of the first half standing waiting to be served. Could well be my last visit to the kiosk this season at that rate.

I posted about the singing section earlier & - again - while I’m not basing it on one game, it didn’t create for a better atmosphere across the ground. RATM covered it but it just diluted the atmosphere, which was my concern. That aside, I dare say it was quite the laugh in there.

Thought we were generally alright today.  A large part of it will come down to the impact of Hamilton.  Most of today was very reminiscent of last season, some nice football and lots of similar players on the pitch, but enough concern at either end of the pitch to suggest we will drop points.  I'm not sure where Mullin/Smith fit into things when we have Hamilton, Brown/Matthews and Connolly on the go.  Early doors it looks like they are here to offer a bit of depth.

Thought the defence were fine really, certainly not as bad as predicted by some, but there's still work to be done.  We will come up against far, far better than Wighton this season.  However they looked alright.

Ultimately we didn't learn much we didn't know.  I guess it shows that a starting 11 4/5 players short were still able to compete well, which is encouraging.