The New Raith Rovers Thread

39 minutes ago, Langtounlaud said:

https://www.udlaspalmas.es/noticias/el-club-escoces-raith-rovers-rinde-homenaje-a-las-islas-canarias

According to Las Palmas, they had hoped to play a friendly this summer but due to scheduling problems on our end, it didn't materialise. Hopefully get it sorted for next summer and beyond.

It'll be easier next summer anyway- we can even play in August or September. Premiership clubs are allowed to rearrange a Saturday league game to play a glamour friendly. The ugly sisters have done it on countless occasions.

Still can’t make my mind up on the new shirts, think it’s the collars that are bothering me. The away top is definitely an improvement on last years Pink one and that Red and White stripes one we had. Nice of Las Palmas to invite us for a friendly when was the last time we left Scotland pre season? We rarely seem to travel far for it. 

19 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What does it say?

UD LAS PALMAS

Friendship by shipwreck: a Scottish club immortalizes the Canaries on its shirt for the most famous and rugged journey in its history

Raith Rovers wanted to commemorate the centenary of the shipwreck when the team was heading to the Canary Islands to play some friendly matches.

•  
  •  

Raith Rovers second kit details/TwitterDetails of the second kit of Raith Rovers Twitter

Sergio Delgado

Sergio Delgado

Published 25 July 2023, 20:09 h

Tours of America, Asia or Europe are more than usual in these times, but several decades ago, these international trips were a complicated task. However, 100 years ago, Raith Rovers FC, currently competing in Scotland's second division, embarked on one of these journeys that forever connected the club to the Canary Islands.

To commemorate the centenary of the shipwreck they suffered on the trip to the Canary Islands, the Scottish club has presented a second kit that bears the distinctive yellow and blue colors of UD Las Palmas, as well as a small map of the Canary Islands in a corner of the elastic. "The shirt was designed by a local fan who took care to incorporate important but subtle elements, such as the map and the date of our tour in 1923," Ruaridh Kilgour, director of the Scottish club, explains to Relevo.

The success in networks has been total and there has been an avalanche of orders from different parts of the Canary Islands. "Today's experience exemplifies the power of social media. In just three hours, we have gained almost 500 new followers and sold 30 shirts to fans in the Canary Islands. We are incredibly grateful for the overwhelming support we have received," Kilgour said.

The Scottish club, given the reactions by networks and the expectation it has raised in the Canary Islands, has opened international shipments, so the number of shirts that will be sold to fans in the Canary Islands will be predictably higher. "To our fans it seems a very nice detail," explains Paquito Ortiz, former player of UD Las Palmas and Raith Rovers and who now works within the structure of the EA Sports League team.

A journey that left its mark

In 1923, even when UD Las Palmas did not exist, Raith Rovers headed to Gran Canaria to play a series of friendlies against teams from the island, including Real Club Victoria, Marino Fútbol Club and Club Deportivo Gran Canaria, three of the founding teams of the current UD Las Palmas. However, this trip was marked in the history of the Scottish entity.

On the coast of Galicia, the SS Highland Loch, a ship carrying the Scots, ran aground as it approached Vigo, where it had to stock up to continue on its way to the Canary Islands. The incident, which had no fatalities, delayed the team's expedition and left a forever mark on the Raith Rovers. Finally, with a few days of delay, the players were able to arrive in Gran Canaria and thus play the six matches they had planned.

"In the corridor of the stadium I saw almost every day a photo of the expedition that came to Gran Canaria. I saw Gran Canaria every day even when I was in Scotland, and you could see the memory of the club with that incident," recalls Paquito Ortiz of his stay at Raith Rovers.

Exchange of messages through social networks

"In addition to launching the jersey, we made sure to contact Paquito and involve him in the launch. Paquito, a legend in our club, made a video for our fans and we created an illustration with the new shirt. We have also sent him four T-shirts for him and his family," explains Ruaridh Kilgour.

"I do not know what will be in the future, but logically a very affectionate connection has opened between the clubs, I already had it, but now it is even more beautiful," says Paquito Ortiz, who also recognizes that there was a possibility of making a preseason match on the island to honor that trip.

"We initially considered playing friendly matches this summer, but it was not feasible due to a change in club ownership in May," explains Ruaridh Kilgour, who adds that they are "excited about the possibility of talking to Las Palmas and other clubs in the area about the possibility of playing friendlies next summer."

"Commemorating the journey after 100 years has a special meaning for us. We believe that it is essential to remember the team and their triumphs in the matches played during their tour of the Canary Islands, "clarifies the Scottish manager. What is clear, given the Canarian reaction in networks, is that the connection of Raith Rovers with Canarian fans has resurfaced 100 years after their first visit to the Canary Islands.

Browsing Twitter and I can only say that this is utterly insane, in a good way. I can't quite wrap my head around the possibility that we might be playing a team from La Liga in their own backyard next pre season 😂

The success in networks has been total and there has been an avalanche of orders from different parts of the Canary Islands. "Today's experience exemplifies the power of social media. In just three hours, we have gained almost 500 new followers and sold 30 shirts to fans in the Canary Islands. 

30 Spanish boys will shortly be cursing Joma’s mad sizing.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

The success in networks has been total and there has been an avalanche of orders from different parts of the Canary Islands. "Today's experience exemplifies the power of social media. In just three hours, we have gained almost 500 new followers and sold 30 shirts to fans in the Canary Islands. 

30 Spanish boys will shortly be cursing Joma’s mad sizing.

Joma are a Spanish company so they might actually be used to it.