The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Outwith 4/5 clubs in our Premiership that’s probably where most Scottish Premiership teams are at not Scottish Championship teams.

Scottish Championship probably much more similar to lower half of National League. 

The Scottish Championship is ranked between English League Two and the National League…Scottish Premiership is just above English League One.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Outwith 4/5 clubs in our Premiership that’s probably where most Scottish Premiership teams are at not Scottish Championship teams.

Scottish Championship probably much more similar to lower half of National League. 

That seems a bit harsh given the batting rate of the various National League players Scottish Championship clubs have taken bets on.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

That seems a bit harsh given the batting rate of the various National League players Scottish Championship clubs have taken bets on.

Yeah but how many of they players that have come up here were actually any good at that level?

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

The Scottish Championship is ranked between English League Two and the National League…Scottish Premiership is just above English League One.

In what rankings? That sounds more like it to be fair but after watching a fair few National League games recently with Wrexham being down there it feels and looks like a really decent level.

That’s no shade at this league or Scotland in general either there’s just some massive / big clubs kicking about in L2 / National League in England and a lot more cash.

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah but how many of they players that have come up here were actually any good at that level?

The problem is, were taking folks who have been released "AT THAT LEVEL "

And expecting big things up at " our level "

Taking someone who wasnt good enough in tier 5 of England ( maybe would be good in tier 6 or 7 at best in England ) and we expect them to perform well in our second tier.

The jokes on us, no wonder these guys come up and ride us like sea buscuit , geez yer dough

I've watched a reasonable amount of English league 2 matches on TV and the odd national league match, and in terms of technical ability, I don't think the standard looks much better than the Championship. The big difference is physicality, almost every player looks about 6ft plus,  and most of these teams would just overpower their way to the title up here. 

I think Jack Hamilton mentioned this was the biggest difference when we signed him and I've heard a couple of other players who've moved down south say the same. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've watched a reasonable amount of English league 2 matches on TV and the odd national league match, and in terms of technical ability, I don't think the standard looks much better than the Championship. The big difference is physicality, almost every player looks about 6ft plus,  and most of these teams would just overpower their way to the title up here. 

I think Jack Hamilton mentioned this was the biggest difference when we signed him and I've heard a couple of other players who've moved down south say the same. 

Gordon Strachan said something similar during his time as Scotland manager. He said genetics played a big part in why we were less physically able than some of the other countries. At the time he got a lot of stick for it but he’s definitely got a point.

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

In what rankings? That sounds more like it to be fair but after watching a fair few National League games recently with Wrexham being down there it feels and looks like a really decent level.

That’s no shade at this league or Scotland in general either there’s just some massive / big clubs kicking about in L2 / National League in England and a lot more cash.

I’m not sure you can really be counting Wrexham as an example, they recruited some of the better players from league two/one to win the national league!

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure you can really be counting Wrexham as an example, they recruited some of the better players from league two/one to win the national league!

Even the teams they were playing against though, I suppose it’s hard to tell and there is not really a correct answer and more down to opinion. Would imagine their finances would be more similar though at the lower end of the National League to us in the Championship up here.

2 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

What’s happened to the k107 Saturday sports show? 

Am I being daft or is it not been on this season?

Graeme Kilgour is doing hospitality at Starks park so I'm guessing he's binned it off. 

Shame really as it was informative and they tried their hand at different things as well as giving an honest assessment of things. I guess that objective ness  goes out the window when your brother buys the club though. 

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

TFR. It’s necessarily imprecise and can jump about a bit, but seems reasonably constructed and uses valid methodology.

https://www.teamform.com/en/league-ranking/world

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Graeme Kilgour is doing hospitality at Starks park so I'm guessing he's binned it off. 

Shame really as it was informative and they tried their hand at different things as well as giving an honest assessment of things. I guess that objective ness  goes out the window when your brother buys the club though. 

It would be the anthesis of what they were doing with him being connected to a team in that manner. They would be accused of things regardless of how they presented it, which would hurt the show. Sucks, but there you have it.

12 minutes ago, pub car king said:

It used to be recorded in chunks via Twitter on a Thursday night and put out on Saturday. 

I don't think it would have been the practicalities of making the show rather the club connections would undermine it. Everything is rosie at the minute but if the team start losing or the board start making controversial decisions it puts the host in a bit of a spot. 

Would be good if someone else picked it up though. 

Should've been at least 4 up before 'Calamity Kev's'  blunder. Their keeper had a good game but that was down to our woeful finishing. We got the points in the end but don't think my dodgy ticker could've handled a late QP equaliser 😂

Felt a bit sorry for the old man and his granddaughter that sits next to me, they left on the  84th minute mark and lewis scored his first a minute later.