The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

IFollow is decent, I used it quite a bit to follow Brentford when they were in the Championship. As you say the feed (multiple angles and highlight) is the same for both sides, but depending on whether you paid for the home or away side determined what comms you got. 

There needs to be a grownup conversation about streaming at this level, I'm firmly behind the idea that the home team should get the proceeds. However since they've now made subscriptions mandatory how does that work? I'm not sure on prices around the table but that could, and would end up expensive. 

I usually go to games but from what I’ve seen of streams at this level is that it seems like these streams are all volunteer led and appear to have big differences in terms of technical skill in their execution (some have no replays and only one camera angle).

Any joined up approach would surely need massive investment, and is it even worth it when clubs can’t stream in the UK at 3pm?

To ensure consistency they would need to supply clubs with the same equipment and training. Then you have the issue of these volunteers suddenly becoming almost employees for a larger service?

RaithTV get their highlights out generally as quick as possible but some clubs wait until later which suggests not everyone has the time as well.

For me, unless someone is willing to change the rules to allow UK residents to watch the games and throw some decent cash at it, let the clubs run their own services up to Premier league, and create a service for that competition. The numbers are small and it keeps people in touch with their club.

1 hour ago, Always next quarter said:

On holiday in Spain and took the tablet down to the bar to watch Raith TV.

Appears from the chat board they got refused permission to show pics by Ayr TV folk after the clubs agreed. Wasn't paying for their services if they refused to play ball.

Hotel put the game on their "stick", lasted half an hour with the comms. Just wildly unbalanced. Watched the rest with Raith TV comms in the earphones , though a bit out of synch much matter. 

Is it just the case clubs can say no or are there rules they aren't respecting? Seems there are a good few working together so got last week's Airdrie game. Never thought I would say "Good guys at Airdrie"

Also thought individual pay per View wasn't allowed so how can Ayr sell a 1 game "subscription"? For Rovers it would have been a monthly pass if it been home games. 

Would add the growth in Club coverage is something else. Chatted to a Swindon Town fan who was trying to get his game and we noted its now an issue if you don't get coverage. I am of the age group where teletext was the up to date way to stay in touch. In the recentish past calling home to get a score wasn't unheard of. 

Seems in England they have a system called I follow where clubs add their comms to shared pics. 

21 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

IFollow is decent, I used it quite a bit to follow Brentford when they were in the Championship. As you say the feed (multiple angles and highlight) is the same for both sides, but depending on whether you paid for the home or away side determined what comms you got. 

There needs to be a grownup conversation about streaming at this level, I'm firmly behind the idea that the home team should get the proceeds. However since they've now made subscriptions mandatory how does that work? I'm not sure on prices around the table but that could, and would end up expensive. 

League of Ireland TV LOITV and iFollow use the same template, the Irish version is usually quite good and balanced.

iFollow uses a mix of local BBC commentary which is very professional and club volunteers.

The club version varies from RaithTV levels of excellence to 'Fairmer/Annan' levels.

I watched Dagenham v Oldham last season and some Cockney p***k kept calling Oldham's Ben Tollitt, toilet, when picked up on it he said 'whatever' and kept on calling him toilet.

1 hour ago, Always next quarter said:

Appears from the chat board they got refused permission to show pics by Ayr TV folk after the clubs agreed. Wasn't paying for their services if they refused to play ball.

Apparently RaithTV/Raith Rovers are proceeding this year with the standard of allow us to broadcast a video (usually) to our international subscribers from the away matches and we’ll allow you to do the same at Stark’s Park. Ayr was reported, by Ian Grieve, to have said OK via email, earlier in the week, and then changed their mind when RaithTV showed up Saturday, no reasoning was reported. To be honest, the only factor I see here is the idea of some games will be available for streaming due to being outwith the blackout rules, and there might be an imbalanced loss of revenue there.

Article 48 is strongly supported by Doncaster, despite evidence that the argument is wrong (from the Swedish Second Division having all their games broadcast and attendance going up), and is hanging on. It also blocks PPV match offers when not covered by the Saturday 1445-1715 kickoff window. Only England and Scotland continue to sign up for this limit.

52 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Apparently RaithTV/Raith Rovers are proceeding this year with the standard of allow us to broadcast a video (usually) to our international subscribers from the away matches and we’ll allow you to do the same at Stark’s Park. Ayr was reported, by Ian Grieve, to have said OK via email, earlier in the week, and then changed their mind when RaithTV showed up Saturday, no reasoning was reported. To be honest, the only factor I see here is the idea of some games will be available for streaming due to being outwith the blackout rules, and there might be an imbalanced loss of revenue there.

Article 48 is strongly supported by Doncaster, despite evidence that the argument is wrong (from the Swedish Second Division having all their games broadcast and attendance going up), and is hanging on. It also blocks PPV match offers when not covered by the Saturday 1445-1715 kickoff window. Only England and Scotland continue to sign up for this limit.

Doncaster has throughout his tender made shit decisions that are of no benefit to the Scottish game or supporters. This Saturday blackout is archaic.

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

Doncaster has throughout his tender made shit decisions that are of no benefit to the Scottish game or supporters. This Saturday blackout is archaic.

It's pretty astonishing he retained his job after 2012. The man literally had no clue about what was going on, before or during it. He just went about meeting after meeting trying to chuck them into the highest league possible. 

27 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Interesting that Motherwell moved their game to 12.30 yesterday - not for Sky, who showed no interest in the game, but so they could sell PPV streams, primarily to Celtic fans.

As I understand it, teams can move 5 games a season under the Sky contract, but most don’t because the money earned isn’t worth the costs of moving the games. This would have been the outlier.

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

One problem with removing the blackout is attendances aren't just going against streaming the game, it's people having simple, legitimate access at home or the pub to Man City/Liverpool/Man Utd games at the same time. 

50 minutes ago, true_rover said:

One problem with removing the blackout is attendances aren't just going against streaming the game, it's people having simple, legitimate access at home or the pub to Man City/Liverpool/Man Utd games at the same time. 

Agreed. We're not talking about a level playing field with the blackout. 

The big 6 in England have outgrown their fans - they don't need them and could play to empty stadiums with only a marginal impact on their finances. If we recall The Super League farce, then you can also make a case that they wish their fans (or at least the ones that go to the games) would actually just piss off. Removing the blackout would have no adverse impact on these teams and might also have some of their casual/second team fans sack off going to watch another team instead. 

As we are reliant on matchday attendance and/or selling season tickets, we could suffer from this. Whether the competition would take away more than we could potentially gain by those that would consider watching us but either can't travel or don't really want to and would therefore purchase a stream, is debatable. 

Edit: I would benefit from the blackout ending and purchasing a stream. Save the effort of finding a VPN. 

Edited by Michael W

With Graeme Kilgour no longer doing the Saturday Sport Show for k107, a group of our fans have decided to start a new podcast- Oh No No No.

This is very much independent of the club (though I should add, they've been tremendously supportive) and we're aiming to deliver regular content by fans, for fans. Within the group, there's the relentless enthusiasm that you'd expect to find with people who are absolutely daft about their local football team. Here's the first episode - we've plans for a preview of the Dundee United game later this week. 

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

With Graeme Kilgour no longer doing the Saturday Sport Show for k107, a group of our fans have decided to start a new podcast- Oh No No No.

This is very much independent of the club (though I should add, they've been tremendously supportive) and we're aiming to deliver regular content by fans, for fans. Within the group, there's the relentless enthusiasm that you'd expect to find with people who are absolutely daft about their local football team. Here's the first episode - we've plans for a preview of the Dundee United game later this week. 

Good stuff something like this is needed especially with the demise of the Saturday sport show. 

Will it be on Spotify 

9 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Good stuff something like this is needed especially with the demise of the Saturday sport show. 

Will it be on Spotify 

Yeah, absolutely! I was sad that the Saturday Sport Show had to come to an end. I was a more than occasional guest and had some great fun doing it. Best of luck to Oh No No No No.

33 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Excellent, now following on Spotify 👍

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Yeah, absolutely! I was sad that the Saturday Sport Show had to come to an end. I was a more than occasional guest and had some great fun doing it. Best of luck to Oh No No No No.

Really appreciate it. I spoke to Graeme when buying my ticket for the Hibs game and he'd mentioned that he'd spoken to Scott about continuing on. It's no surprise you guys got the plaudits that you did - there was a lot of forward thinking with stuff that wasn't really being done like twitter spaces. 

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Agreed. We're not talking about a level playing field with the blackout. 

The big 6 in England have outgrown their fans - they don't need them and could play to empty stadiums with only a marginal impact on their finances. If we recall The Super League farce, then you can also make a case that they wish their fans (or at least the ones that go to the games) would actually just piss off. Removing the blackout would have no adverse impact on these teams and might also have some of their casual/second team fans sack off going to watch another team instead. 

As we are reliant on matchday attendance and/or selling season tickets, we could suffer from this. Whether the competition would take away more than we could potentially gain by those that would consider watching us but either can't travel or don't really want to and would therefore purchase a stream, is debatable. 

Edit: I would benefit from the blackout ending and purchasing a stream. Save the effort of finding a VPN. 

Studies seem to show it likely would be, at worst, a wash, but more likely additional income. There is a core group of fans that will attend, if possible. There is a bandwaggon group that will attend when things are good, but don’t when things are not so good…however, they might watch a stream during the down times. Then there is the we’ll attend, if it’s easy, and if the weather is nice, and if we can PATG, if the team is playing well, if it’s a good opponent, etc…another group that streaming is likely to draw more money from.

As for competition from other leagues, as you note, get a VPN and you can watch it anyway. Have the local pay and put the Raith game on one TV and the City game on the other…more eyes, and likely eyes that wouldn’t pay to attend an game anyway.

16 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Frustrating as in the forward areas he’s got ever player to choose from - Vaughan, Easton, Stanton, Hamilton, Connolly, Smith, Mullin. That’s after loaning out 3 players too! 

Key to our season likely to be having Murray and Watson playing the majority of games. 

Corr has went from looking not far away to hobbling up to his seat yesterday and Watson whilst not using them had crutches in his hand. 

On the assumption Murray can play vs United I’d move Dick into the CB and bring in McGill. 

Was talking to someone in the pub today, Watson is struggling with his knee and a further break was missed on corrs toe due to not getting the correct x-ray/scan done, being pushed to train has been a set back. Hopefully Watson will get a proper diagnosis asap so we can see where he is, need him for Saturday 

10 hours ago, mrraith71 said:

Was talking to someone in the pub today, Watson is struggling with his knee and a further break was missed on corrs toe due to not getting the correct x-ray/scan done, being pushed to train has been a set back. Hopefully Watson will get a proper diagnosis asap so we can see where he is, need him for Saturday 

This is a worry as knee's tend to be complicated things, wasn't he injured a bit last season as well?  The misdiagnosis of Corr is also concerning. 

Murray will have to earn his money this week, realistically we want Byrne and Brown in midfield and a proper CB in defence. Masson was left out at Ayr so does he run light in midfield again and have Stanton drop deepnorndoes he shuffle defence again? 

34 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Murray will have to earn his money this week, realistically we want Byrne and Brown in midfield and a proper CB in defence. Masson was left out at Ayr so does he run light in midfield again and have Stanton drop deepnorndoes he shuffle defence again? 

For me, without Watson or Corr, I want to see us carry on with Brown-Murray as the centre back pairing. Stanton can drop deeper or we could even start McGill in midfield.

Edited by Enigma