The New Raith Rovers Thread

In terms of the January window, we will need to add a couple if we are serious about promotion. The defensive cover is poor and we need another centre half to challenge Murray and Watson. Gullan cannot be relied upon to stay fit so trying to get a number 9 in would be good. Hopefully if Matthews returns that will be like a new signing and give us cover in the centre mid role.

14 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

In terms of the January window, we will need to add a couple if we are serious about promotion. The defensive cover is poor and we need another centre half to challenge Murray and Watson. Gullan cannot be relied upon to stay fit so trying to get a number 9 in would be good. Hopefully if Matthews returns that will be like a new signing and give us cover in the centre mid role.

Is Corr anywhere near fit yet? 

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

The BBC are fuckers for announcing games. 

I have the same issue Tx although to a smaller scale. I book flights in advance and got caught out last year for the Dundee game being moved. 

Thanks for confirming my fears…I’m looking at a stupidly short trip at a time when very low airfares meet a very short break in my schedule…any the only way a moved to Friday game would work is with an hour and a half international arrival connection at Heathrow, and I’m pretty sure even the Pope couldn’t put that off, despite what the airline schedule says!

In January i would release Ross and Gullan.  Gullan spends much more time on the treatment table than on the pitch, and cant see that changing.  Both are McGrymm signings so on crazy wage deals no doubt.  Bring in another n.o9 and a centre half.

Oh and in the cup games this month, take a gamble and play Masson and the young gun we signed from the YM at the back.  Fully rest the others.  Guffy cup is meh.  Scottish cup vs that lot along the road, would be cracking experience in a game I reckon we'll get beat in anyhow (we are due it from them, rather it wasn't in the league).

Whilst new signings would be welcome, I have to say we have cover across all the key positions. Trouble is we are currently using it to the extreme.

The fact we can put out a team as strong as we did last night and on Saturday with the number (and quality) of players not available is testament to our squad depth this season.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Last report was mid to late November…off the crutches and starting some initial workouts if I recall the interview correctly.

I'm maybe making this up but did Murray not say Matthews and Corr were now back in full time training prior to the Dunfermline game?

No idea what our financial situation is like, I got the vibe from Barrowman we had to offload Ross to Falkirk to balance the books however Potter was in the Courier saying work was in place to start identifying targets for January so guessing they have a plan of some sorts. If we're there or there abouts come January it'll be interesting what the clubs end up doing. 

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I'm maybe making this up but did Murray not say Matthews and Corr were now back in full time training prior to the Dunfermline game?

Not quite. Listen at the 3:33 part on of the Pars Pre-Match interview:

Matthews is back on the park working with the rehab team, high tempo and intensity.

Corr is expected back within a couple of the weeks for the same, as is Watson.

None we’re working with the first team in practice yet, so there’s hope Matthews should be with the team soon.

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not quite. Listen at the 3:33 part on of the Pars Pre-Match interview:

Matthews is back on the park working with the rehab team, high tempo and intensity.

Corr is expected back within a couple of the weeks for the same, as is Watson.

None we’re working with the first team in practice yet, so there’s hope Matthews should be with the team soon.

Braw, no idea why I thought they were back in full time training 😆

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Braw, no idea why I thought they were back in full time training 😆

Hope, fear, IM saying he was “on the park” before adding “with the rehab…”…

IM is very, shall we say, reticent with his injury discussion. I understand the thinking, but it makes it very much like tea leaf reading to try to parse his comments about players health and condition. I’d sacrifice a sheep and read its entrails, but the manager here would have a coo.

2 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

In January i would release Ross and Gullan.  

Agree with trying to offload them but I doubt we could afford to pay off their contracts outright. If Ross had been doing much for Falkirk then it would have been an easy enough deal to negotiate in January I'd imagine. As it is, they might not want to take him which makes the only other option him going down south/ abroad seing as he's played for two teams in Scotland this season (unless I'm wrong with that). 

We're still lite in defence otherwise brown wouldn't have played there for the past month so I still think another cb is a priority in January. Corr doesn't have many games under his belt, Watson is out for a currently undefined amount of time and is getting on so will potentially be more susceptible to injuries and Masson has only really made cameo appearances lately with brown being preferred there. 

Let's be honest though, it has been an absolute dream start to this season. We're not too far behind utd with a game in hand, plus we've managed to get a good gap between ourselves and thistle in 3rd, with a game in hand. We haven't always played particularly well, Saturday being the prime example, but we've still managed to grind out the results and get the job done in all bar one game so far. Hopefully the players will be able to rectify that result on Saturday against what I think is a decent Airdrie team. 

11 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I'd say a striker is a priority to be honest, I'm a bit concerned by how little we have actually seen of Hamilton.

Kevin Dabrowski has been absolutely fantastic lately, ramming the criticism by myself and others right back at us.  Braw.

Big Kev really is making us eat humble pie. 

I'd say we aren't seeing Watsonnor Corr before the new year. It's well known that Ian Murrays timescales are in dog years. 

That said of both make it back we look a lot better (only to lose all our defenders stroke of midnight in the window) 

Someone who can play cb/rb at a push would be ideal as we have zero cover there McGill is not the answer and Millen will be suspended at some point and probably injured. 

28 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'd say we aren't seeing Watsonnor Corr before the new year. It's well known that Ian Murrays timescales are in dog years. 

That said of both make it back we look a lot better (only to lose all our defenders stroke of midnight in the window) 

Someone who can play cb/rb at a push would be ideal as we have zero cover there McGill is not the answer and Millen will be suspended at some point and probably injured. 

You’ve described Masson there, just saying. If you want a little cover at CB in an emergency, SAndo is playing for Crossgates right now…😜