The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

So with the January window coming up what do you think we will do? Obviously there will be your usual rumours but does anyone think we will sign 1/2 players or just mainly focus on extensions? (Know you can sign an extension at anytime) but I think maybe 1/2 might be announced then imo 

There is a rumour at our end that Gabby McGill will be signing for you guys in m January, personally think it is a lot of pish,   I know Murray is a big fan,  but to be fair to McGill , our new style doesn't suit his reckless style,  but has showed virtually nothing all season probably a league too high for him,   

Took a little trip over from Dunfermline, yesterday, as I wasn't heading home until today.  I am always a fan of any town with a beach and highly visible stadium.  Got chatting to some folk up at the ground, who seemed to enjoy your late winner against us.  The quality of the surface really surprised me.  Keep everyone fit and on form and you never know......

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

So with the January window coming up what do you think we will do? Obviously there will be your usual rumours but does anyone think we will sign 1/2 players or just mainly focus on extensions? (Know you can sign an extension at anytime) but I think maybe 1/2 might be announced then imo 

We’ll extend O’Reilly, if he’s willing and perhaps add IM’s desired speedy winger/striker. I don’t think anything else would be productive, so while a Hamilton clone would be useful, I don’t see one being available.

We’re not a good loan destination for teams to look at because we don’t have a glaring weakness a loanee could exploit to get sure playing time, unless Byrne is recalled.

8 – Raith Rovers extended their lead at the top of the cinch Championship to five points thanks to a 1-0 victory over title rivals Dundee United at Tannadice. Dylan Easton scored the only goal of the game to give Ian Murray’s side a seventh consecutive victory and extend their unbeaten run to 13 matches in all competitions. Rovers have now won eight away matches in a row and are just one short of their club record of nine, which was set between January and April 1995 to help them secure the 1st Division title.

Weekend in numbers | SPFL

Personally wouldn’t want to change too much personnel wise but if we pick up 2 wins in the final 2 home games of the year then it’s a real Stick or twist time for the board. Do we roll the dice and go for it or content with what we have. 

I think we need the defensive cover, Watson returning is a big boost, but I think having another body there gives us flexibility. So we’ll probably extend O’Reilly or maybe look at someone else who can cover both centre half/full back. 

Murray has spoken about a speedy winger - the one that sticks out glaringly who isn’t playing just now at Dundee, and mentioned on the Oh No No No Podcast, is Scott Tiffoney. 

Tiffoney would be an excellent piece of business. Imagine having the option of bringing him and Connolly off the bench, the late goals scored would multiply. Not sure who else would be available and fit the bill. I like the look of Chalmers who's on loan at Ayr but Dundee United would (rightly) not do business with us in January. 

O'Reilly seems a no-brainer to extend if he's willing. Hopefully the idea of a January contract was from the clubs side for him to prove fitness rather than him wanting to see his options when it expires. In defence, it would be nice to get another full back, especially at right back in case of injuries and suspensions to Millen.

We're very unlikely to find a striker of Hamilton's quality in January but another striker who plays in a similar way and can hold the ball up would be nice. 

Most importantly of course is to avoid losing anyone. I'd be surprised if a few teams don't try to lure away some of our players, especially those out of contract for low fees. Hopefully we can avoid having their heads turned and offer them new contracts ourselves.

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

Took a little trip over from Dunfermline, yesterday, as I wasn't heading home until today.  I am always a fan of any town with a beach and highly visible stadium.  Got chatting to some folk up at the ground, who seemed to enjoy your late winner against us.  The quality of the surface really surprised me.  Keep everyone fit and on form and you never know......

Thank you sir for your kind words.👏👏👍 Yuletide Felicitations to you and yours 🍻

Barrowman saying all the right things there to try and alleviate some of the fan concerns around players possibly being snapped up on PCA’s or just simply losing them at the end of the season.  We are an attractive proposition right now and that will work in our favour, I think. Would be great to get some good news on the contract front soon, whether that’s for the management team or some first team players. 

As for January, Tiffoney would be a brilliant signing but if he is going out on loan in January - and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will by the way - he won’t be short of suitors. What will work in our favour with him is him being a Dundee player. I’d love us to get him in. 

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

As for January, Tiffoney would be a brilliant signing but if he is going out on loan in January - and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will by the way - he won’t be short of suitors. What will work in our favour with him is him being a Dundee player. I’d love us to get him in. 

In the end, the final question is likely how much do Dundee want to possibly do over Dundee United? There isn’t the OF level of venom and hatred there, so I don’t know that we have an inside track for that reason. I actually suspect our current form and options make it less likely, unless someone at Dundee has a bee in the bonnet.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I think hold onto everyone we already have is key in January. I'd also bring Mitchell back from loan he has pace to burn and is yet another option.

I love Mitchell, and he is as fast as a thief, and he’s only getting about 20 minutes a game at East Fife…but…he’s probably not our answer right now. And that 20 minutes a match is certainly more than he’d get with us. Leave him on loan.

I totally agree regarding the January transfer window expectations have to be sensible most Rovers fans wouldn’t have dreamt the start we have had so far , I think we have the strongest squad in the division so I would be more than happy to extend contracts first fair enough if a player came available and Murray wants him great , Certainly our players will be attracting attention however the flip side is we are now a good proposition for players to sign for us just look at the brand of football we are playing we are fighting at the top of the championship I know I would love to play football with some of our players 

I still have the fear from our January window the last time we were going for a title challenge in this division. The pars signed Kevin Rutkiewicz and “Big Mad Mental” Peeping Tom (on a director’s credit card if you believe one story I heard) and we tried to match that with Kevin McBride, who’s being pish for us once wasn’t enough so he returned as assistant to Yogi to relegate us. I'm sure we’ll do better this time around! 

Just now, Enigma said:

I still have the fear from our January window the last time we were going for a title challenge in this division. The pars signed Kevin Rutkiewicz and “Big Mad Mental” Peeping Tom (on a director’s credit card if you believe one story I heard) and we tried to match that with Kevin McBride, who’s being pish for us once wasn’t enough so he returned as assistant to Yogi to relegate us. I'm sure we’ll do better this time around! 

It's completely unsurprising that there's rumours in the United fans they're skint yet looking to bring in Simon Murray (who is still getting game time for County). 

As for us, it's a statement full of realism from Barrowman. Far too many people think no news means we're sleeping on the job. More than happy to see who Murray and Potter have in mind. 

I would be astounded if Scott Tiffoney signed for you. Ultimately, he’s not playing for Dundee because he doesn’t quite suit their (currently successful) system rather than a lack of quality, so if they loan him out I could see him getting another bottom six side no bother. He’s more than proven himself in this division.

Would be some statement signing but