The New Raith Rovers Thread

42 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, but within the context of those games, we've played 3 at the back when we've been chasing games and other sides have been content to sit in and ride it out. 

For the cup game, McPake changed formation, negating the joy Dunfermline were getting down the sides. He fucked it.

Not saying it wouldnt work but suspect it's a different prospect starting that formation at 0-0 for 90 minutes than doing it in a harem scarem fashion for 10 minutes chasing a game.

I don't think McPake fucked it. He played his usual 3-4-1-2 and it was Murray who changed formation and it was the 5 man midfield, which we had only played in the last 10-15 minutes of chasing games. 

Clearly 4-4-2 isn't working that well as we wouldn't be having to chase games nor conceding 25 goals in the process. 

The one game we played a 5 man in midfield we won 3-0, bossed the game, won by more than 1 goal and a clean sheet. 

I know that wouldn't be the case in every game but we would definitely be a lot tighter and probably concede a lot less goals. 

Edited by A_Rover_In_The_Burgh

1 minute ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I don't think McPake changed anything. He played his usual 3-4-1-2 and it was Murray who changed formation and it was the 5 man midfield, which we had only played in the last 10-15 minutes of chasing games. 

Clearly 4-4-2 isn't working that well as we wouldn't be having to chase games nor conceding 25 goals in the process. 

The one game we played a 5 man in midfield we won 3-0, bossed the game, won by more than 1 goal and a clean sheet. 

I know that wouldn't be the case in every game but we would definitely be a lot tighter and probably concede a lot less goals. 

McPake changed his shape about 20 mins into the game, trying to match us through the middle and effectively negating the advantage he had up the wings. We may have won anyway, but suspect the tactical shift helped us.

We don't have anyone who can effectively play as wing backs without leaving big spaces if we play the likes of Mullin or Connolly there, or not supporting the attack well if we play pur actual full backs in there, neither of whom have the pace or the instinct to get to the byeline.

The balance in midfield is critical and ive commented myself on how the 4-1-3-2 leaves huge spaces for teams to attack. It's kinda worked because the combination of Byrne with Stanton playing an almost double role as a 6/10.

We went back to a 4-2-3-1 against Dunfermline and we looked generally more solid (despite losing yet another goal where Brown apparently switched off and went awol, Byrne and Murray thre a couple of lazy challenges in and Dabrowski couldnt dive tp his right!) But we also werent nearly as fluid in attack as not sure Vaughan has the pace to play as a 10 and needs to be played as a striker.

I suspect the answer is in being a bit more proactive in terms of game management to change shape and personnel, rather than playing massively open the whole game. 

(Clipped from the Infowire section, posted 29/12/23, so it doesn’t account for the latest 1 goal win…credit to @craigkillie)

The Scottish League record for single-goal victories in a season is 19, which was achieved by Hearts in the Premier Division 1991/92. That was a 44 game season, with Hearts winning 27 games in total and finishing in 2nd place. The table below shows all the seasons where a team have won 15 or more games by a single goal.

image.png.7c0a47e98df1618c3e485ae6604f5ccc.png

Clearly that Hearts total was helped by the fact it was a longer season. If we look at it in terms of the proportion of matches played, then Celtic in 2006/07 come out on top. They won 47.4% of all of their matches by a single goal (18 out of 38) on their way to comfortably winning the league title. The table below shows all of the seasons where a team won 40% or more of their matches by a single goal.

image.png.d783db1f1ed723551b40023380fea7bc.png

All 12 of Raith's league wins this season have been by a single goal, so I thought I'd also check which clubs had the highest proportion of their victories being by a single goal. There have been a total of 38 instances of a team recording all of their wins by a single goal, but all of these have been cases where the clubs have only recorded a small number of victories. The highest number of wins amongst these teams with 100% records is 8, with the most recent to do that being St Johnstone in the incomplete 2019/20 season.

I thought it was therefore a bit more interesting to focus on teams who have recorded 10 or more wins since that's a bit more relevant to the original question being asked. The table below shows all clubs who have won at least 10 matches where at least 85% of those have been by a single goal.

image.png.2862551edacbfe2031723f873932771a.png

3 hours ago, renton said:

McPake changed his shape about 20 mins into the game, trying to match us through the middle and effectively negating the advantage he had up the wings. We may have won anyway, but suspect the tactical shift helped us.

We don't have anyone who can effectively play as wing backs without leaving big spaces if we play the likes of Mullin or Connolly there, or not supporting the attack well if we play pur actual full backs in there, neither of whom have the pace or the instinct to get to the byeline.

The balance in midfield is critical and ive commented myself on how the 4-1-3-2 leaves huge spaces for teams to attack. It's kinda worked because the combination of Byrne with Stanton playing an almost double role as a 6/10.

We went back to a 4-2-3-1 against Dunfermline and we looked generally more solid (despite losing yet another goal where Brown apparently switched off and went awol, Byrne and Murray thre a couple of lazy challenges in and Dabrowski couldnt dive tp his right!) But we also werent nearly as fluid in attack as not sure Vaughan has the pace to play as a 10 and needs to be played as a striker.

I suspect the answer is in being a bit more proactive in terms of game management to change shape and personnel, rather than playing massively open the whole game. 

Bit harsh on Brown.  Millen had ended up way over in the middle of the pitch outside the box having a shot at goal, so Brown rightly dropped into right back to cover him so ended up away on the right side of the pitch instead of in the centre where you'd expect him to be.

Murray’s interview still leaving more questions than answers on O’Reilly.

My take now is if he was staying with us after Airdrie game we would’ve announced something??????

17 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Murray’s interview still leaving more questions than answers on O’Reilly.

My take now is if he was staying with us after Airdrie game we would’ve announced something??????

My take is he potentially has something else lined up. 

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

My take is he potentially has something else lined up. 

My impression from IM’s response was that we have told O’Reilly we’d like him through at least June, and he’s told us that a number of other teams are in contact, and he’s listening. We signed him through about 10 Jan just about two months ago, so it’s not like either size was expecting commitment through seasons end. It was a link up that worked for us both, and perhaps gives us a small leg up in extending him.

To be honest, it might simply be that Dan has been/is listening to offers and then will tell us what it would take to retain him. No malice, no threat, no secrets, just “I have an offer for £X over X Period. Would you like to offer something that will make me stay instead?”

Because we signed him and played him, he knows where he fits here and how he’d be used. That would allow him to judge our offer versus someone like the Pars or Morton quite easily compared to figuring his role there. I don’t expect him to be out of contract for more than a day, if that.

I can see him going to the Pars. Huge problems in central defence and not averse to splashing cash in tsf window.

Potter and Co have surprised us before with signings, and I have no doubt they know who they want, or are even negotiating with. They won't be awaiting a decision from Dan without knowing what happens next.

Edited by Brashy's Boots

O’Reilly seemed very happy with the setup at us. But of course he’s going to say that on RaithTV. Time will tell I suppose. 

Edited by Wardy

39 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I can see him going to the Pars. Huge problems in central defence and not averse to splashing cash in tsf window.

Potter and Co have surprised us before with signings, and I have no doubt they know who they want, or are even negotiating with. They won't be awaiting a decision from Dan without knowing what happens next.

Funnily enough I’ve thought for a week or so that he’ll end up there. Whilst I’d like to keep him, IF we were to get Strapp, Dick would be a back up left footed centre back which would potentially neglect the need for Dan. 3 goals and an assist within short a timeframe makes him appealing for all potential suitors.

Edited by RRFC1989

If we are going to push the boat out to retain/sign a player it has to be Byrne for me. 

Would be very happy with O'Reilly but we do have other options in defence. Albeit Watson is injured and Corr/Masson haven't really played. We can still move Dick or Brown into CB. 

I get the vibe Murray doesn't want to spunk whatever budget he has on O'Reilly if Watson is close to returning and/or can't guarantee O'Reilly playing time when Watson returns. He was essentially signed short term purely to tide us over until Watson returned which I'm guessing Murray thought would be around this time. How far away Watson is though is anyone's guess. If Murray was desperate to keep him then surely we're the most attractive option - knows the club, players, manager, potential to help get team promoted. Unless a Prem team comes knocking, is he Prem quality? Probably not. With Matthews back Murray has option of putting Brown at the back until Watson is available (not that I agree with that) . Risky as we don't know if Dundee will recall Byrne. 

I don't think Easton will leave in January however have heard murmurings he's had a good offer from a Prem club with a view to signing when his contract expires dependent what league we're in. 

The rest I can't see teams coming in for and I don't actually think we'll look to move others on either. 

I think the club have now got a strategy for injuries and signings and unfortunately for us it’s minimal info until something tangible or official. Stanton, Watson no clear info on return dates and same with the Dan situation on signing. 

I’ve no real issue with that if that’s the case.

Heard from a decent source that Easton is of interest to Dundee. Wonder if that will be part of the deal. We’ll give you Byrne in return for Easton now or on a PCA. The only chance imo Easton is here beyond the summer is if we go up.

It’s no secret that CB’s are in dire need right now and with many clubs having injuries in that dept O’Reilly will have likely been approached by several clubs.

Just PLEASE let it not be the pars if he doesn’t stick on with us. I’m fairly confident once their injuries clear up they’ll grab 4th spot..if they sign a striker it’ll almost be a certainty. We do not want to play them in the play-offs as you know how the footballing gods work. Tonk them 4 maybe 5 times in a season, finish 30+ points ahead to get papped out when it matters 🤮

Edited by RAITHROVERS84

Even if we do get Watson back soon, how long does it take him to get up to speed, and can we keep him fully fit for the remainder of the season?

The words "Lewis" and "Stevenson" were mentioned a fair few times in chatter on Tuesday at the game - however you could say that about every transfer window for the past 5 seasons.

I’d be gutted if we lose out on O’Reilly, but if he wants more than we’re prepared to pay then so be it. Defence should be the priority imo. As for the possible Easton transfer saga. If Dundee want him that much then Byrne on a permanent deal and Tiffoney on loan for the rest of the season seems only fair as for me personally Easton is high value.