The New Raith Rovers Thread

38 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Were not going to win any play offs, were safe from relegation, let him start building for next season and alternate playing Corr and Masson   

Ffs man, you guys are level on points at the top of the league. You surely can't seriously be thinking of writing off this season and building for the future. No disrespect to Rovers but there will always be at least one bigger/wealthier competitor in the Championship. To be level on points at the top of the league in mid January is a once a decade (at most) position. You can't write it off as an incremental improvement. It's obviously not "now or never" but it could be a while before this sort of chance arises again.

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Ffs man, you guys are level on points at the top of the league. You surely can't seriously be thinking of writing off this season and building for the future. No disrespect to Rovers but there will always be at least one bigger/wealthier competitor in the Championship. To be level on points at the top of the league in mid January is a once a decade (at most) position. You can't write it off as an incremental improvement. It's obviously not "now or never" but it could be a while before this sort of chance arises again.

So you're telling me a team with a very ropey defence have a chance to progress, even though it looks very much like the wheels have come off , maybe just maybe if we get a couple of quality defenders in that could happen, but from where I see it...... that's not going to happen

2 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Poor from us today but I think we still concede from crosses with a centre half on the pitch, whether it was Murray or Corr. Our main issue again was creating enough good chances and taking those that came to us. Again poor choices in the box got the better of us. 

CH is an issue but in my opinion it’s Also down to a big part of the wing backs or Full backs jobs IE Dick or Millen and today Connolly and Smith no one stops the crosses coming in look at the 2nd goal back I was at the right of the boy crossing and had a good view as was down near the front, Millen comes out shows the boy on his strong foot to get the cross in, show him down the line or on his left foot or get tighter to stop the cross we don’t do it like we love to back off and just them cross it, if that’s the case then we need better 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

2 hours ago, embow said:

Ah well! Disappointing result. Another year, another poor financial return from the Cup, over and above the excitement of progressing to the next round.
Get the feeling that next week is an absolute must win v ICT to get the wheels back on the wagon and turning again. Someone has to take some action to get the defence sorted as the Jan window is slowly creaking closed and will speed up as we get closer to the 31st.

Honestly if we don’t sign a defender or a full back who can actually stop crosses coming in before next week, I fear it might be 4 defeats on the bounce, Caley has recently moved to a 3atb and use there wing backs high and get balls into the box and as we all know that’s our weakness and tbh we never rectified in the summer and I doubt we will this window 

The forwards and midfielders need a boot up the arse too. Never mind last minute goals, a few more goals at any time would do. That would help our under-strength defence out somewhat.

Playing with no centre backs, conceding shit goals, and having 2 centre backs on the bench is frustrating at best.

Thought the game was there to be won today to be honest, but didn't take advantage of the momentum when we had it and we really are struggling in defence.

Big couple of weeks ahead - its either going to be a case of bringing players in (and adding to an already large squad) or hoping that Murray and Watson can show a consistent run of fitness for 4 months. 

Just now, Scary Bear said:

The forwards and midfielders need a boot up the arse too. Never mind last minute goals, a few more goals at any time would do. That would help our under-strength defence out somewhat.

This is the crux, we had huge opportunities today. Vaughan through, tries a cross to Connolly instead of hitting it, Connolly who received a cross from Vaughan, didn't do anything with it. Connolly second half free in the box, tries to pass because he's on his weak foot rather than shoot. Smith missing a free header. The freekick that was absolutely wasted by Vaughan. Make better decisions in any of those and its a different game. 

Their winner initially came from Easton fannying about with the ball in a tight space in his own half and losing it, granted he then made a great block but Millen was then left with two at the back post and no assistance to attempt to block the cross (if he had, the boy would have just passed it to his team mate for a free cross anyway). Creators of our own downfall right now, a reset and some fit players to switch things up a bit definitely needed.

On a positive note, Hamilton's best and most influential game by far today, even up against that shitebag Devlin. 

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Playing with no centre backs, conceding shit goals, and having 2 centre backs on the bench is frustrating at best.

Thought the game was there to be won today to be honest, but didn't take advantage of the momentum when we had it and we really are struggling in defence.

Big couple of weeks ahead - its either going to be a case of bringing players in (and adding to an already large squad) or hoping that Murray and Watson can show a consistent run of fitness for 4 months. 

I'd be happy with 4 games for the consistent run of fitness the way things are, or, in Watson's case, 4 days!

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Spot on scary

The tactics seem to change weekly, wingers need to do the dirty work. First 10 minutes it was fast, aggressive, sharp, after that it was chaotic. 2 goals we lost are preventable. Would like to see more of the boy Corr a recognised CB on the pitch would be nice. Hopefully get back to winning ways next week

11 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Mare chance of keeping a cleansheet than either one of those 2 as consistent partnership for the next 4 months 🤣

I'm actually pretty annoyed with that; it was a winnable tie and despite having the lead, we are out. We have a fairly serious problem with seeing leads out at the moment- in the recent games we've taken the lead against Livi, QP, Dunfermline, Arbroath & Ayr, but have only managed to win one of those matches. It is all good and well Murray saying we deserved to win, but seeing out a lead is the single most fundamental aspect of winning a match. We need to improve on that. 

Chucking the towel in on the entire season is daftness and hopefully those looking at it that way have calmed down now. 

Edited by Michael W

I agree with what people are saying if Corr and Masson isn’t part of Murray’s plans and simply won’t play them do what’s the best for them either let them go or send out on loan rather than sitting on a bench getting next to no minutes.

Jamie Gullan id let go in the summer Murray has been desperate for him back but has rarely started a game and hasn’t done much recently to warrant a start tbh.

the full backs im at the stage where im not really arsed if they left because we can certainly do better. 

Byrne is quality but we need a runner next to him as he’s not the most mobile I feel the balance of the team is all over atm.

as I said a few days ago on here we need a leader/organiser at the back as we’ve not really had that since Watsons been out and can we trust him to stay fit after his track record with injuries? We have to get a least 2 in this window in my opinion a FB and a CH not one or the other 

I was in favor of sitting Millen as a message, but he showed that would have been wrong today. His pinpoint pass let in Hamilton to score. On the second Livi goal he was in a no win situation. The first cross from the attacking right came over and he correctly didn’t jump for it. If he had tried for it, the Livi player beyond would have had a free go. Instead he tracked it out and got stuck one on two with no help, and still made them put in another cross. Brown then jumped for it and when he missed, the Livi player buried the chance.

Murray, Corr and Masson all on the bench, and we start with RB/DM/LB for three in the back…what the actual f**k? Three in the back to me is three meatheads who will bully any attackers brave enough to venture close…and while Corr and Masson are still a bit light for that role, it’s their natural position. At least use Brown and Corr or Brown and Murray, FFS. IM has shown a willingness to play players when it’s a bit dubious, so why this mental mindf**k today?

Christ, if you don’t trust Corr and Masson, and don’t think Murray can do it, put Brown and Dick in the middle and McGill or Hannah at LB. Instead we play lineup games and get bent over like a cheap hooker. This season is threatening to crumble like a McGlynn second half of a season…IM has to put the brakes on now. It’s go big or go home time for defenders.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

His pinpoint pass let in Hamilton to score. On the second Livi goal he was in a no win situation. The first cross from the attacking right came over and he correctly didn’t jump for it. If he had tried for it, the Livi player beyond would have had a free go. Instead he tracked it out and got stuck one on two with no help, and still made them put in another cross. Brown then jumped for it and when he missed, the Livi player buried the chance.

When the 2nd cross came in for the goal Millen got dragged way out and he did have Connolly behind him covering, I had the perfect view as I was near the front, but my problem with that goal is we don’t stop both crosses coming into the box which is frustrating… I will add it was Eastons slack pass or whatever started the move for the goal but you’ve still got enough people to defend it though 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

2 hours ago, mrraith71 said:

Livi are a championship team at the best. 

we aren’t ready for premier league football and today proved that. 

Sorry but surely you can't be serious. Livi may well be a championship team but, at present, so are you. At the moment you are one of the best teams in the league but can still lose games so today's result really isn't a reflection on your prospects. Whoever gets promoted from the Championship will strengthen and not compete in the Premier with their current team.

All our troubles began half an hour into the match on the 22nd of December, Stantons injury.

Ever since then and I include the rest of that match we have slowly lost our form, our confidence and most importantly our ability to turn defeats into draws and draws into wins. 

Our defence has been inconsistent and a real weak link in the team, however it was helped by Byrne sitting in front of it and Stanton moving the ball forward. 

Our forwards were getting into better positions because Stanton would bring the ball forward. He was linking with Vaughan in a telepathic way and also chipping in with much needed goals himself (Parslayer)

I think we can lose almost any other player and still get by based on the depth of squad but Stantons loss has been an absolute disaster for us. 

Murray and his team need to go back to basics for the Inverness game. Sort out the defence as best they can, make sure the fullbacks have cover and give Byrne a hand in the middle. 

Of the last 3 games only the Airdrie one was a disaster where we deserved f**k all. 

Queens Park and today we had chances to win both those games and wer very good for the first 20 minutes. It was our lack of defending that has cost us.