The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Ah, a tale as old as time.

The longer the likes of Corr, Masson - even Hannah - don't get a game/regular game time, the more they become the solution to all of our woes.

I'd really like to know what the solution is, have you got the answer  

5 hours ago, SanStarko said:

Out of these three games, this was the one I would have been least upset about losing.  The game against ICT is in the league so need to get things back on track there.  The Airdrie game, not so much for the cup, but losing to them again could play into the next league game against them mentally.

Hopefully we go with the idea of actual defenders playing in their proper positions next week.  I get Murray’s idea about wanting his forward thinking players on the pitch and it was working when earlier in the season.  The defence was still making mistakes but the attackers were bailing them out.  Now we’re not taking our chances as much so we need the defence to bail the attackers out, but there is no defence to do that.

Can understand the thought process of not playing Watson and Murray today though, the league is the important thing so an extra week of recovery is probably better for them.

I'm sorry but appart from the first 20 minutes we never looked like scoring. Smith with a free header in the Bix decides for what ever reason to try a cushioned header to Vaughan instead of heading for goal himself was baffling. 

We don't have the fullbacks to play a 3 with wing backs. Millen and Dick aren't mobile enough and the wingers we have aren't good enough in that position. 

We should have brought Tumilty back in the summer as it gives us that option. 

There are times for a 3 at the back like when we're chasing the game as frankly going with a 2 of Brown and Dick is just ridiculous 

13 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

I'm sorry but appart from the first 20 minutes we never looked like scoring. Smith with a free header in the Bix decides for what ever reason to try a cushioned header to Vaughan instead of heading for goal himself was baffling. 

And Vaughan being clean through on goal and try’s to cut it back to Connolly normal he would hit that 

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I'd really like to know what the solution is, have you got the answer  

Signing a couple of defenders. Keeping the ones we do have fit. We're on a bad run but we're still doing fantastically well this season. Sort out the defensive woes and we're going to turn it around. The pressures off us now in the league. It's utds to lose. This negativity needs to get in the bin. 

1 hour ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Ah, a tale as old as time.

The longer the likes of Corr, Masson - even Hannah - don't get a game/regular game time, the more they become the solution to all of our woes.

Oh, then Thomson’s the answer…at center half!

34 minutes ago, TxRover said:

In IM's opinion (and most peoples)...but it's clear we'll never find out if Corr or Masson are an answer.

It's ultimately Murray's decision but considering him, mickey and Potter are involved in training every week and we've still played players out of position, I'm going to err on the side of the guys who have played at the top level and brought through youth players in the case of Potter. From the two corr looks best and capable Imo but I do trust their judgement on it. It largely coincides with what iv seen from them. 

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

It's ultimately Murray's decision but considering him, mickey and Potter are involved in training every week and we've still played players out of position, I'm going to err on the side of the guys who have played at the top level and brought through youth players in the case of Potter. From the two corr looks best and capable Imo but I do trust their judgement on it. It largely coincides with what iv seen from them. 

The problem then is why no action has occurred beyond a quick cameo by O’Reilly. If all three are deeply involved, surely something should have occurred by now. Watson went out on 23 September and the Airdrie match. It’s been clear he’s not coming back quickly for at least a couple of months now. Murray has been having shoulder issues either since we signed him or clearly since DU on 7 Oct. Corr was lost on 5 August after Partick, but came back before the end of November, and has only got played in 2 of 9 league matches since then.

O’Reilly was signed the week before Corr was cleared to play again, what does that say? Then O’Reilly was also let go, and I understand we didn’t want to lock up the pay packet beyond June, but that should have been quickly clear and there should have been a plan to replace him then. It seems currently there isn’t one. We can talk about top level loanees not occurring until later in January, but surely the brain trust had/have a plan other than gambling on plugging in midfielders and sitting Masson and Corr on the bench for “depth” until the calvary comes riding over the hill?

A month ago we were looking at a genuine chance to be as much as 8 points clear at the top, and since then DDWLLL, and we sit even on points, with one more game played and an impossible GD to overcome. It’s frustrating, and while this management team seems to be generally on point, this is clearly showing some cracks in the foundation right now.

Murray is a manager who seems to value flexibility in players and formations. The problem is some positions call for something other than flexibility, and central defence is certainly one of those. The defenders IM has chosen to hitch his cart to are kinda decrepit, it seems. His insistence on using his utility card to fill that space has given us one clean sheet in October, one in November and one in December…plus none in January yet.

I would also question why we kept Masson for depth for a total of 74 minutes in the league? Surely a loan would have been more valuable than 1 minute versus Morton or the Pars. His only significant use was in September versus Airdrie, and he could have been on loan for Oct to Dec and we’d have had to have found someone to play his 12 minutes. At least Corr has really played in two matches since his return.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

His only significant use was in September versus Airdrie

And was at fault for the goal by lunging out of position.

Don’t know if anyone else caught it but even one of the BBC Scotland radio presenters said post match yesterday - Raith need to sort there CB situation out as they need to be playing Brown in midfield. The dugs on the street can see our issue.

Irrespective of us challenging DU Murray needs to sort this capitulation in results. One win in 6 against a Pars team who’re seemingly going out their way to get games called off. 

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

O’Reilly was signed the week before Corr was cleared to play again, what does that say? Then O’Reilly was also let go, and I understand we didn’t want to lock up the pay packet beyond June, but that should have been quickly clear and there should have been a plan to replace him then. It seems currently there isn’t one. We can talk about top level loanees not occurring until later in January, but surely the brain trust had/have a plan other than gambling on plugging in midfielders and sitting Masson and Corr on the bench for “depth” until the calvary comes riding over the hill?

How do you know there's no plan?

We're not going to be paying transfer fees, and even if we were, the amount to get a quality defender is beyond us.  So just going out and buying a player to fix the issue isn't going to happen.

That leaves players out of contract or loans.  Yeah we managed to get O'Reilly on a free but there clearly isn't a lot of out of contract defenders who are actually decent, and we're sure as hell not the only team looking for one so if there was we'd probably know about them.  

So now you're left with the loan market, and you can have all the plans you like but you're fully reliant on when the other team decides they want to let the player go.  Derek Adams decided to declare his entire side pish so getting Turner early in the window was easy but I'd imagine other teams without an idiot in charge are probably going to be waiting till nearer the end of the window to decide which of their decent players they want to let go out of loan.  If you had the option of getting a poor player in on loan but getting him right now, or a quality player in on loan but you can't get him till the end of the window, which would you pick?  I'd got for the latter every time.  

The poor run since the Dundee Utd game is annoying and it's annoying that the defence is the glaring issue in the team, moreso now that we've lost a bit of the spark going forward.  But we've still got a week and a half of the window left, if we get to the Airdrie game and we're reliant on a patched up Murray and hoping that Watson can make it to the end of the season without getting injured again then that would be concerning.  But a lot can happen in the next week and a half.

Edited by SanStarko

Managers have a limited budget but some also want a certain squad size even just in terms of bodies for training. Young players are generally used for this due to the low cost and potential, but it is rare that they breakthrough into the first team as regulars at that age. Masson has had chances this season and last and not taken them to be an exception. That’s perfectly fine. The manager trains with the players and has bounce games in addition to what we see so he knows exactly where they are at and what their current weaknesses are.

If someone is classed as a centre half it does not necessarily mean they are better suited in a manager’s system as a centre half than someone who is far more experienced, understands the game better and is more comfortable on the ball that is classed as a ‘midfielder’.

Ian Murray doesn’t have to put a player in front of us to prove if they are good enough. He knows what he needs and if someone isn’t giving it to him in training then they don’t deserve to play.

From what I see, Masson and Corr would not get a game for other teams in the top half of the Championship this season. I’m 100% ok with the time they’ve had. I think Corr would have played more if we were having a middling season, but he gave away the ball against Queen’s Park leading to their corner and made a mess of the goal at ICT away so that is likely why he is out. We need a centre half and a full back as a priority if we want to compete for the number one position.

On another note, our finishing and final ball yesterday was completely off it. I don’t know if it was because of the different system but if the final pass accuracy and choice was better we would be sitting in the pot for the next round, regardless of Livi’s two goals.

A seriously hard week of work ahead for the team.

Edited by Raithfan2711

Just watched the game back and some poor finishing and decision making in the final third.

Connolly when clean through could’ve slid it to Smith for an easy chance.

Eastons ball across the box just needed prodded home. 

Wasteful free kick on edge of the box by Vaughan - hit the target and it’s a likely goal. A few other chances too.

Hamiton and Vaughan should be a lethal combination and hope they get it to properly click.

Ive said it, others have too but watching Rovers recently you just feel somethings missing and that missing thing is Stanton.

KD

Millen       Murray    Watson    Dick

Brown 

Stanton        Byrne 

Easton                             Vaughan

Hamilton                     

I’d like to see this team out on the park.

Think everyone said yesterday was a winnable game-which it was yesterday and it would show us where we are-it showed us we can easily compete with a bottom 4/6 team in the SPL.

They were missing boys as were we.I thought we were the better team over the 90 minutes but Livi had that killer instinct.

Gutted we lost.

We need to get that winning feeling back soon or we could see confidence being affected.

As Murray said 15 massive league games (possibly) and 2 cup games (possibly).

Let’s get right behind the team in the next 2 home games.

2 hours ago, Raithfan2711 said:

From what I see, Masson and Corr would not get a game for other teams in the top half of the Championship this season. I’m 100% ok with the time they’ve had. I think Corr would have played more if we were having a middling season, but he gave away the ball against Queen’s Park leading to their corner and made a mess of the goal at ICT away so that is likely why he is out. We need a centre half and a full back as a priority if we want to compete for the number one position.

While you may be correct just look at yesterdays second  goal. “Experienced” players still make mistakes. 

how many goals have we lost due to defensive errors in all other games also?

15 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I thought Connolly and smith done well as wing backs today but the only criticism is have of Connolly was it was criminal completely missing the target when clean through, should’ve kept on going imo 

Thought Connolly was dead on his feet with 15 to go and should’ve been subbed

Couldn't make yesterday as I'm in Ireland but the back line didn't look good when I 1st seen it. We may as well release Corr and Masson now if they can't even get a game when there's no defenders. 

Obviously saving Murray and Watson for the league, which makes sense. 

What we doing if Hamiltons injured now? No options there either?