The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Yeah all about opinions but for me, any formation including two upfront has to be Vaughan and Hamilton. Signs of them starting to develop a really good partnership, thought they were both excellent last week.

Agree with this 100%. Definitely seemed that they knew where the other one was and were playing well together.

Vaughan covered every blade of grass last week. His workrate was superb. 

It was the subbing of Byrne that saw our attack fizzle out rather than Vaughan or Hamilton doing anything wrong.

Vaughan was below par against Airdrie and Queens Park but I thought he was fantastic last week.  Would definitely not be benching him tomorrow.

I also thought Easton looked more effective last week than he has for the last few games.

There were definite signs there last week that the team is starting to click again in attack.  This is exactly the right point of the season to hit form and if we are indeed getting Watson and Murray back into the fold we could be in for a very enjoyable few months.

41 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

All opinions should be backed up with some sort of supporting evidence really, but even then, that doesn't make it impervious to criticism, comment or even at times ridicule (depending on how ridiculous it is). Just because its someones personal opinion doesn't make it infalable. 

For example, you're of the opinion that Vaughan hasn't been doing well in the last 10 games (4 goals 2 assists) whereas, conversely i'd argue that he's been pretty integral to the side, creating chances for others or himself that haven't gone in. Vaughan is a constant pain to defenders, you'll see him regularly doubled up on, similarly with Easton, just to stop him from doing what we know he can do. So while he's not provided a lot of end product lately, him being in the side makes us overall more difficult to defend against and creates spaces elsewhere for us to try and exploit.

Similarly, Connolly is out and out best placed on the right wing. Cutting inside last season got him double figures in goals and assists for us. This season he's not quite been at that level, but you can see him building back up to it. There is less and less need/desire for those "traditional" wingers these days that get to the goal-line and hit a cross, now the game has thankfully moved on and there is more emphasis on build up and overloading areas. 

Apologies... if that feels like i've just picked on you, thats not the case, but your points were probably the most interesting to respond to overall :D 

Absolutely love this reply 😂😂 

I appreciate everyone's opinions, I just like when there is something to pick out, mull over and discuss. 

I honestly feel if we had someone who was an out and out striker he'd really push Lewy at the minute. Lewy was absolutely dreadful against Airdrie, worst I've seen him but they were all rotten to be fair. I totally get he can create out of nowhere but so can Easton and he gets dropped a lot and I feel Lewy is the same at the moment, fluctuating. Lewy on full form, no brainier for me he's a starter, but he's not in great form in my eyes. 

I feel Rudden coming in (hope) might just push Lewy up a notch as there's not really anyone else to push him. I'm not saying he doesn't try, but competition tends to bring the best out in players and I hope this is the case with Lewy.

At the end of the day, it's amazing to have this type of convo because we've never had a team this good since the early 90's, i just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot because this league is definitely there for the taking.

Watson and Stanton coming back would be absolutely huge. I think any other midfielder getting injured, we'd have coped but Stanton is irreplaceable in midfield on his form at that time and it has showed. 

Who do you drop when he is back though?? 😂😂 

9 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I appreciate everyone's opinions, I just like when there is something to pick out, mull over and discuss. 

I honestly feel if we had someone who was an out and out striker he'd really push Lewy at the minute. Lewy was absolutely dreadful against Airdrie, worst I've seen him but they were all rotten to be fair. I totally get he can create out of nowhere but so can Easton and he gets dropped a lot and I feel Lewy is the same at the moment, fluctuating. Lewy on full form, no brainier for me he's a starter, but he's not in great form in my eyes. 

I feel Rudden coming in (hope) might just push Lewy up a notch as there's not really anyone else to push him. I'm not saying he doesn't try, but competition tends to bring the best out in players and I hope this is the case with Lewy.

At the end of the day, it's amazing to have this type of convo because we've never had a team this good since the early 90's, i just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot because this league is definitely there for the taking.

Watson and Stanton coming back would be absolutely huge. I think any other midfielder getting injured, we'd have coped but Stanton is irreplaceable in midfield on his form at that time and it has showed. 

Vaughan and Easton are so similar at times, when they're not getting the ball, they will go everywhere to find it, when things aren't coming off, they get frustrated and try harder and lose a lot of composure, thats just the type of players they are. They need cool heads around them to make them step back and regroup. 

So for me personally, i'd go with a 4-2-3-1 as I think it gets the most out of our players. But its all about shape for me with football. Our attacking shape and our defensive shape and what happens in those transitions as right now you can see when we lose possession its between 3 and 5 players vs Byrne and a retreating backline. 

I'd line up with the following on Saturday. Its so difficult to make a case for Brown in midfield as he doesn't suit a more advanced role and Byrne is too good to drop out from his deeper role. Consequently, two deep midfielders sitting is too much given the lack of attacking assistance our fullbacks give us.

Dabrowski

Millen, Watson/Brown, Murray, Dick

Turner, Byrne

Connolly, Vaughan, Easton

Hamilton

Where i'd like to see changes is when we go forward, we leave the middle far too exposed because we end up with just 1 player (Byrne) in there. We know we don't have great attacking width from our fullbacks, so having one of them tucking in alongside Byrne and making a back 3 behind them would give us a bit more solidarity I feel. 

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I'm not denying he's a good player but at present he isn't playing that well, so I don't see an issue in dropping someone out of form? 

I his last 10 games, he's scored 4, 3 of which were in the one game. 1 in 9 isn't what I'd call prolific and 2 assists in 10. He's off the boil and anyone whose been at the games will testify to that. Sometimes a wee rest and some genuine competition is what players need to push them on. 

Some forum this, used to be assists from corners shouldnt count, now we are discounting hattricks.

10 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Some forum this, used to be assists from corners shouldnt count, now we are discounting hattricks.

😂😂😂 Brilliant reply 👏👏 

I mean I totally remember saying a hat trick doesn't count towards anything 😂 

I done it over 10 games not 1. Lewy can lace his boots, he must play 🙄

Another useful reply jam packed full of...... Nothing 👍 

3 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

In my opinion, Vaughan has been our player of the season so far and would be in the squad of our all-time greatest ever side. Any suggestions of not playing him are, frankly, ludicrous.

You're saying he's been better than Stanton 😂😂 behave 🙄

1 minute ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

😂😂😂 Brilliant reply 👏👏 

I mean I totally remember saying a hat trick doesn't count towards anything 😂 

I done it over 10 games not 1. Lewy can lace his boots, he must play 🙄

Another useful reply jam packed full of...... Nothing 👍 

Where the f**k have you come from?

11 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Where the f**k have you come from?

Specsavers I believe 👍

Can I ask just out of curiosity, how many of the last 10 games you've been to? 

Are you another that thinks brown should play at centre back? 

Edited by A_Rover_In_The_Burgh
Went too far with my original response, apologies

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Yeah but when giving your opinion maybe back it up as to why you've come to that conclusion, no just have a go at others choices. It's meant to be a chat not a page to ridicule people's suggestions 👍

19 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

You're saying he's been better than Stanton 😂😂 behave 🙄

Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

1 hour ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

This league is most definitely NOT "there for the taking".

57 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Just happens that our season has turned on its head since he went out injured, that's no coincidence. 

Has been the best player on the pitch this season without a shadow of doubt. 

I was more referring to you making the point about ridiculing folks opinions and then you slated the boy for his thoughts 😂

Agree with you that Stanton’s probably been our player of the season and has been a huge loss. 

Everyone is of course entitled to an opinion.  Everyone else is also entitled to tell that person if they think their opinion is complete nonsense.  Doesn't make either person right.

Some of this shit is as bad as when some right wing tosser spends a 90 minute tv interview talking about how they've been "cancelled".

42 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Take away that other goal and he hasn't scored any in his last eight. Terrible form. 

In fact, if you discount all of the goals he's ever scored, he's literally never scored a goal. And he's supposed to be a striker! 

😂😂👏👏 Love it. Absolutely agree. 

56 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

This league is most definitely NOT "there for the taking".

And why not? If we can get a run of form and win our games then yeah we'll be there or there abouts. 

Our form in the last 4 games has cost us a healthy lead in the league. There will be ups and downs and if we can't get the defence sorted then there will be more downs as the season goes on, no doubt. A lot depends on getting that sorted. 

Can only wait and see I guess

18 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

I was more referring to you making the point about ridiculing folks opinions and then you slated the boy for his thoughts 😂

Agree with you that Stanton’s probably been our player of the season and has been a huge loss. 

I feel that everything I've argued I've made a point to try and back it up. No just said, your opinion is crap. That was what I was saying. 

That team selection is terrible. Nothing. When you could have said, don't really agree with this due to x, y and z. That's disscusion and holds more relevance than just an outright opinion. 

Edited by A_Rover_In_The_Burgh