The New Raith Rovers Thread

The master plan arrives !

Collins may have been on a short list but no way he was the first choice, Id seriously be worried if he was

The reality is he has never really managed as of yet, his time in USA for me isn't worth the paper it's on with the franchise league.

The jury must be more than out on someone with less than a year of real football management and  a 3yr contract is a bit wild 

1980 Rowdies Bumper Sticker 1.JPG

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The master plan arrives !

Collins may have been on a short list but no way he was the first choice, Id seriously be worried if he was

The reality is he has never really managed as of yet, his time in USA for me isn't worth the paper it's on with the franchise league.

The jury must be more than out on someone with less than a year of real football management and  a 3yr contract is a bit wild 

1980 Rowdies Bumper Sticker 1.JPG

A demonstrably untrue statement 😂

Agree that it's difficult to tell if this is a good bad or mediocre appointment but to say he has never managed before is frankly a load of shite. I would look at his alternative managerial background is a huge positive to appointing some jobber with a decade or more experience in the Scottish game.

47 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

My main feeling just now is relief that we've finally got someone.  

Collins is something a bit different and only time will tell if he's the right man for the job.

Do I believe he was our top choice....not really sure but I also don't care.  For what it's worth, my first thought is that he initially turned us down and we've gone back to offer more money after Healy said no.  It's a big thing for him to move his family up here (especially with 4 kids likely of school age) so a little more money may have helped with that.

His record is decent and I take criticism from fans of former clubs with a pinch of salt.  I'm sure there are plenty of Bristol City fans who would tell you that Derek McInnes is a dud but (most) Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock fans would probably disagree.

I'll get right behind him and the team from the start and see where the journey takes us.

Just thinking on what they used to say on the telly programme, Bullseye......

."here is what you could have won,,,,," John Hughes, Paul Hartley,Billy Dodds........aye. aye.....

Let.s hope he is not daft enough to sign a Goodwille type!!

An appointment none of us seen coming. I will take it and see how we go. 

I really hope we manage to become a threat in the final 3rd and also manage to control games rather than have us always sitting waiting on conceding. 

He comes over really well in his interview and definitely seems like he may have been sounded out early on and eventually came round to the idea of managing us. 

Good luck and hope he turns the sinking ship around 👍🏼

13 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The jury must be more than out on someone with less than a year of real football management

Sure Dunee fans probably said the same when Docherty was appointed, seems to have done well thus far🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

one thing that  comes across is he appears to be a man manager as well. very few football managers dont seem to have that ability

He's been in the job for about 7 minutes, how can you possibly know that?

2 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

by his interview. stoop being so god darned negative

Fair play, I laughed out loud at that.

21 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

A demonstrably untrue statement 😂

Agree that it's difficult to tell if this is a good bad or mediocre appointment but to say he has never managed before is frankly a load of shite. I would look at his alternative managerial background is a huge positive to appointing some jobber with a decade or more experience in the Scottish game.

Are you taking in his time working at the local leisure centre aka USA football leagues as his journey within football management?

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Sure Dunee fans probably said the same when Docherty was appointed, seems to have done well thus far🤷‍♂️

Docherty started his coaching career at Falkirk, the best part of 20 odd year ago, followed by 15yr as assistant to McInnes

The comparisons of Collins and Docherty are pretty stretched albeit every manager appointment is a risk. I can't see any link between one with less than a year in real football management and one with a case study of 20 or so year mainly as an assistant manager 

Welcome Neill Collins, never mind the roasters. Speaking of which - a big welcome to my ignore list for all the roasters who've recently joined it. Wow. 

Looking forward to seeing what this new era brings. I don't think we're far off competing for this league, but we've got a fair bit of catching up to do now. 

3 minutes ago, MC_Lachlan said:

Welcome Neill Collins, never mind the roasters. Speaking of which - a big welcome to my ignore list for all the roasters who've recently joined it. Wow. 

Looking forward to seeing what this new era brings. I don't think we're far off competing for this league, but we've got a fair bit of catching up to do now. 

How do you add people to your ignore list?  I've looked a few times recently but never figured out how to do it.

Anyone else in the thinking that we'll see a couple of Barnsley players heading our way on loan very soon? He's probably been on the phone to a few English Championship/1st Div teams already enquiring about the availability of  certain players.

2 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Anyone else in the thinking that we'll see a couple of Barnsley players heading our way on loan very soon? He's probably been on the phone to a few English Championship/1st Div teams already enquiring about the availability of  certain players.

Is it not only domestic loans and free agents that can still be signed?

Time will tell if this is a good appointment, but it feels like it is a good one. Interesting that it seems we actually got the man we were looking for in the end, even after what can only be described as a bit of a saga. I suppose if Healy hadn't gotten cold feet then no-one would have ever known. I am very happy he decided he wanted it after all, as I was on the verge of despair given the apparent options for us. 

I am glad we've gotten Collins in ahead of the Challenge Cup match - it's a shitter of a tie and we have ongoing injury problems, but it gives him more time to get used to the squad and is arguably a bit of a free hit before the next league match. A derby, no less!

I did chuckle at this excerpt from Collins' wiki entry: 

Collins was sacked following a disappointing run of form with Barnsley in the play-off places in fifth position with one match remaining of the 2023–24 season.

Seems he's experienced an objectively harsh sacking before, so he will be fine here. 

Edited by Michael W

33 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Are you taking in his time working at the local leisure centre aka USA football leagues as his journey within football management?

Given that he coached and managed a football team not a leisure centre then yes I am. It would be frankly ludicrous to discount it. Note he also had a full season as a manager in English League 1 at a club bigger than yours and mine combined.

It's kinda similar to when we appointed Lee Bullen. Someone from outside the usual suspects in Scotland but not an amazing pedigree as a manager or coach. However he's still young enough to make a name from himself.

From what I remember of him as a player he always reacted to getting dugs abuse for being a Killie and didn't like it 

Lots of sneaky wee gestures to the Somerset Road end that had folk spitting venom or running to the polis raging 🤣

36 minutes ago, MC_Lachlan said:

Need people to stop biting and quoting these accounts as well please.