The New Raith Rovers Thread

You really don't want Ferry under pressure on his left foot either. He's an emergency left-back, nothig more.

He's more than that I think. Ferry possesses more composure to stick the ball in the net than Tade and Williamson do!

Thinking back to his goals last season, he's best utilised as an attacking midfielder arriving late into the box. I know the central midfield berths are taken up and Smith will be wide left thus limiting his chances in the team, but i'm convinced he is best in centre mid - he's just hardly given a chance there. Even wide right is a position we should try him in.

He'll be found out as a left back this season on the ground - if played there - though I will concede his clearing headers are invaluable in that position.

The problem McGlyn has in signing players that can play in various positions, is that finding the best team formation is going to be a riddle he might not solve in time.

Edited by pantene proV

i appreciate that tade is creative and has good pace and from what i have seen he will be an asset this season. but we need someone to put the ball in the net you can make 100 chances in one game if no one puts the ball in the net we are fooked. plus these ae friendlies when it gets down to business we won't have as much time on the ball or space so the forwards need to be more clinical

He's more than that I think. Ferry possesses more composure to stick the ball in the net than Tade and Williamson do!

Thinking back to his goals last season, he's best utilised as an attacking midfielder arriving late into the box. I know the central midfield berths are taken up and Smith will be wide left thus limiting his chances in the team, but i'm convinced he is best in centre mid - he's just hardly given a chance there. Even wide right is a position we should try him in.

I wouldn't put him wide right in all honesty, he lacks the pace to play there. Ferry's best position is without doubt in the centre of midfield. He's got Simmons, Sloan (when fit) and Davidson ahead of him, so his chances of playing there are pretty slim.

He slotted in well at LB when required last season. That said, I wouldn't fancy him there against the better players in this league. He isn't left-footed either, so I do worry if he's put under pressure with the ball on his left foot - anything can happen. I also believe Darren Smith can play there; as can Grant Murray going on what McGlynn's done when he's brought Dougie Hill on. I do wonder if he plans on dropping Ellis at LB and playing Murray there?

Maybe we should threaten Tade and Weir with him. Score goals, or Ferry's in and you're benched.

He'll be found out as a left back this season on the ground - if played there - though I will concede his clearing headers are invaluable in that position.

I agree.

The problem McGlyn has in signing players that can play in various positions, is that finding the best team formation is going to be a riddle he might not solve in time.

It is possible. In the small squad, it does make sense to have players that can play elsewhere, though. If we didn't have the flexibility, a few injuries would be seriously damaging to us.

Sadly, I think the most we have to fear from McGlynn's system is the constant selection of Davidson. It's a selection which is damaging to the team, we have better players who should be playing instead. Make Mark Campbell the captain and drop him for goodness sake!

Edited by Michael W

I wouldn't put him wide right in all honesty, he lacks the pace to play there. Ferry's best position is without doubt in the centre of midfield. He's got Simmons, Sloan (when fit) and Davidson ahead of him, so his chances of playing there are pretty slim.

He slotted in well at LB when required last season. That said, I wouldn't fancy him there against the better players in this league. He isn't left-footed either, so I do worry if he's put under pressure with the ball on his left foot - anything can happen. I also believe Darren Smith can play there; as can Grant Murray going on what McGlynn's done when he's brought Dougie Hill on. I do wonder if he plans on dropping Ellis at LB and playing Murray there?

Sadly, I think the most we have to fear from McGlynn's system is the constant selection of Davidson. It's a selection which is damaging to the team, we have better players who should be playing instead. Make Mark Campbell the captain and drop him for goodness sake!

I think that too. Murray can play anywhere in back four and since his headering ability isn't that great he could find himself out there. Ellis can play left-sided centre-half (easily his best position) and would add better ariel ability to the position than Murray so I hope McGlynn will put him there. Hill might be adding depth to the squad at the moment, no more than that.

Absolutely no argument from me on your point re Davo. His first instinct is to drop deep leaving big gaps in midfield. Sloan, Simmons, Ferry and at a push Walker are my picks in midfield before Davo.

edit - not all at the same time, of course !!

Edited by pantene proV

there is no way iain davidson should play if we have a full squad to choose from we have better options all over the park

he will tho

Theres a report on fantalk that we signed dougie hill on part time and Grant Murray on full time status today. Paper say the club was talking to them, but cant find any confirmation of them signing.

If its true then good for us.

that is good news a couple of weeks ago we would have struggled to find 4 defenders at the club now we have a selection problem at the back looks like it will be mark campbell plus one of ellis murry or hill beside him

Just want to congratulate Lawrie Ellis on his 200 appearance for the club last tuesday.

A nice interview on the clubs website gives a clear insight into Lawrie and his passion for the rovers.

The signings now confirmed too. Now just another striker and we should be there and raring to go.

Impressed with the signings we have made so far. I think the squad is now taking shape and although it is not very deep, we have a number of versatile players that can perform in at least 2 positions. A decent loan signing up front would give us a squad that I think is capable of doing enough to stay up and give us something to build on for next season.

I agree with some of the sentiments regarding Davidson. He has a part to play in the squad but shouldn't be captain of the club as he isn't entitled to be in the first 11 every week. Someone like Mark Campbell, Graham Weir or Dave McGurn who, if available, will play.

Playing Davo in any position IMO weakens the side if all players are fit.

So,

McGurn (GK)

O'Connor (GK)

Wilson (RB)

Campbell (CB)

Ellis (LB & CB)

Hill (CB)

Murray (RB, CB & LB)

Davidson (CB & CM)

Sloan (LM & CM)

Walker (CM & RM)

Ferry (CM & LM)

Simmons (CM)

Tadé (CF, RM & LM)

Smith (LM)

Weir (CF)

Williamson (CF & RM)

Bryce (CF)

That's 17 players who I think wil be involved this year. 1 more for a loan striker and we've got 18 players.

Guest Dunc?

Bryce is like a dog sometimes, he just runs at the ball constantly, it looks like he might get into a couple more useful situations if he lets the ball come to him every now and again. His enthusiasm and determination is to be commended, but sometimes it looks like he's doing extra work that the ball would do anyway.

Guest phil7
You have left out Tam Graham who I personally think is overall a better striker than Lee Bryce.

Not as quick mind you but can hold on to the ball better and use it better.

I think he will eventually turn into a better player than bryce.

This season may be his time to shine B)