The New Raith Rovers Thread

I was going to write, "Blink182, I've not heard them for ages!!" but have come to the conclusion that it wasn't funny in the slightest.

We're all a bit edgy right now regarding our striking options and it just wasn't appropriate. :mellow:

I feel significantly let down...mind you I get the feeling that this will probably be a familiar feeling throughout the season if our strikers maintain their recent form of bursting past defenders and proceed to leather the ball into the stand.

I feel significantly let down...mind you I get the feeling that this will probably be a familiar feeling throughout the season if our strikers maintain their recent form of bursting past defenders and proceed to leather the ball into the stand.

That's actually implying Weir has actually done something of note!

Do you think 36 cleen sheets and a goal difference of 0 would keep us up?

That's actually implying Weir has actually done something of note!

Do you think 36 cleen sheets and a goal difference of 0 would keep us up?

Wait for Sloanaldo to get back. He doesn't need a preseason behind him: he is awesome regardless of fitness! Well....unfortunately I doubt this will be the case.

We didn't, you know.

Oh dear, why did I think that? :huh:

Still, it was pretty close and only went through on the lottery of penalties so the loss to Stirling really isn't all that bad (other than possibly from a financial perspective).

The Albion Rovers game wasn't very good, it's true, but I don't remember thinking it was as worryingly bad, we created quite a few chances but had an off-day. The problem is I'm less confident that saturday was just an off-day so much as showing up the limitations of the squad, the things that went wrong were the things we were most concerned about beforehand.

You still can't read too much into one performance and I still think we've got a good enough squad to stay up, but there are issues that need to be addressed, particularly up front as everyone can see. Weir and Tade have now started five games together and scored no goals. That happens sometimes, but given their records you can't assume that's just the rub of the green and that the goals will start coming. (The only striker to have scored was Bryce's double int he one game he started, albeit against the weakest opposition. Personally, I wouldn't just put Bryce in tonight with a view to starting him on Saturday, I'd tell him beforehand that he'll start both games and give him a chance to make a go of it.

Guest Dunc?
Wait for Sloanaldo to get back. He doesn't need a preseason behind him: he is awesome regardless of fitness! Well....unfortunately I doubt this will be the case.

We'll just play with ten men, and have Sloany sitting on a wee fold out chair at the side of the pitch with the Ballboys, ready to roar into action whenever we win a set piece.

ROAR!

We'll just play with ten men, and have Sloany sitting on a wee fold out chair at the side of the pitch with the Ballboys, ready to roar into action whenever we win a set piece.

ROAR!

:lol:

On the topic of the loan signing: it might well have been Levein's plan to farm out the new Argentinian lad to a lower league club before giving him an opportunity at a higher level. He has (up till now) done the same with Kevin Smith who was signed last summer and loaned out to us. I'd happily take either off United at this current stage.

Guest Dunc?
I think it was more likely Johnny Russell.

As it is, perhaps we'll end up with Armand One back after all.

Article from July 6th

The paragraph third from the end seems to rule out Russell, but not for any apparent reason.

I know I've got this thing for Armand Oné, and it's probably clouding my judgement quite severly, but I think he'd actually work well alongside Greg Tadé. One thing the big man can do is finish.

I always said about One that if he wasn't 30st and he learned to header a ball, he'd be some player.

I don't think we'll re-sign him though. Not because McGlynn let him go previously but on health and safety reasons. If he hits a wayward thunderbolt and it strikes the railway stand, the Fife College guys would be killed in the collapse. :o

No more videos because of Armand!

Guest Dunc?

I think he'd do well to tell people that he can't header a ball.

He should wear a sign on his back that says "No High Balls Please".

I do know that (at least when he was at Cowden) he spends a lot of time in training trying to learn how to header properly. He used to keep back three youth players - one to cross the ball, a goalie, and one unlucky lad to try and compete with him in the air.

I think he'd do well to tell people that he can't header a ball.

He should wear a sign on his back that says "No High Balls Please".

I do know that (at least when he was at Cowden) he spends a lot of time in training trying to learn how to header properly. He used to keep back three youth players - one to cross the ball, a goalie, and one unlucky lad to try and compete with him in the air.

Bugger that! I'd be wanting double time and danger money if I picked the short straw for that job.

IMHO most players who are likely to be scoring 10-20 goals in this league will either be established at other first division clubs or on the bench with an SPL team. I honestly can not see any loan player coming in and scoring that many goals in the first division. If this is what Raith fans are pinning their hopes on then good luck all the same, cant wait till the second game of the season had many a good day out over the water :D:D

IMHO most players who are likely to be scoring 10-20 goals in this league will either be established at other first division clubs or on the bench with an SPL team. I honestly can not see any loan player coming in and scoring that many goals in the first division. If this is what Raith fans are pinning their hopes on then good luck all the same, cant wait till the second game of the season had many a good day out over the water :D:D

Yup, you're almost certainly right, we'd have to be lucky.