The New Raith Rovers Thread

That's pretty much it, Dunc. We offered Joe Dunbar first team football and when it didn't translate into that, he took the huff and stopped turning up for training, so we tried to release him but he wasn't for it and sat and took our wages for 2 years.

I realise that there must be a bit more to it, because if you don't turn up for training, you break your contract agreement and can be sacked, but that's pretty much the jist of it.

That's pretty much it, Dunc. We offered Joe Dunbar first team football and when it didn't translate into that, he took the huff and stopped turning up for training, so we tried to release him but he wasn't for it and sat and took our wages for 2 years.

I realise that there must be a bit more to it, because if you don't turn up for training, you break your contract agreement and can be sacked, but that's pretty much the jist of it.

We haven't been paying him at all, from the horses mouth:

Basically, we paid Newtongrange 6K for Dunbar 2 seasons ago and he signed a 2 year full time deal.

He did not like playing full time so the club agreed to change his contract to part time

He then decided he wanted to quit professional football and go back to juniors, he mentioned that there were certain 'cliques' in the dressing room and accused a senior player of bullying him (I think the name he mentioned is common knowledge but I don't want to divulge this on the forum and it sounds like said player was just putting him in his place as Joe seen himself as a 'Billy big time.'

After a minor legal dispute the conclusion was that for Joe to be released from the Rovers and go back to juniors, either Joe or the team he would play for had to give Rovers their 6K back, failing that Rovers would keep his registration until the contract was up but did not need to pay him for this as he refused to turn up for training (basically in the hope he would get released)

Hope this clears things up

We haven't been paying him at all, from the horses mouth:

Basically, we paid Newtongrange 6K for Dunbar 2 seasons ago and he signed a 2 year full time deal.

He did not like playing full time so the club agreed to change his contract to part time

He then decided he wanted to quit professional football and go back to juniors, he mentioned that there were certain 'cliques' in the dressing room and accused a senior player of bullying him (I think the name he mentioned is common knowledge but I don't want to divulge this on the forum and it sounds like said player was just putting him in his place as Joe seen himself as a 'Billy big time.'

After a minor legal dispute the conclusion was that for Joe to be released from the Rovers and go back to juniors, either Joe or the team he would play for had to give Rovers their 6K back, failing that Rovers would keep his registration until the contract was up but did not need to pay him for this as he refused to turn up for training (basically in the hope he would get released)

Hope this clears things up

That all seems to make sense. I agree with you about not releasing the name of this "senior player" - certainly I've got no idea who it is, and I don't want to know. There's no good that can come from releasing a name, so let's all just keep quiet.

'Bullying' seems a convenient excuse from Dunbar anyway, given his apparent shite attitude. As Donny said, it was more than likely him being put in his place. People with egos tend not to like that sort of thing, and instead develop a persecution complex to compensate for their failings.

I've not heard any rumours, but I've got a good idea of who I think is the kind of person not to tolerate a Billy big time. I'm not overly fussed if my thoughts are never confirmed either. It's in the past, so let's move on from it.

What is good to see, is that egos aren't tolerated at the club.

Edited by Michael W

Yep scary isn't it! Just goes to show how poor a league it must be this season if guys like him & Fairbairn were playing for a team challenging for the title.

Can't believe you're ruling out the possibility that they've suddenly become good players....

So... Goal of the Season?

On pure technical goalscoring brilliance, I'd rank Murray's at number 3, Williamson's at 2 and Casalinuovo's as the very best.

Actual "Goal of the Season" though, I think I'd give it to Murray too. As he says himself, it was a massive game, at East End Park, and we were coming off the back of a bad defeat. When you take into account his average is something like one goal every 3 seasons, it really was a special, special goal.

All the goals were great, but I would have picked Bert's as well. Just for the occasion. Also for a centre back he struck it rather beautifully! :D

Ferry's goal V Morton also was very good technique, Cryuff turning the defender before curling it right in the corner. Peach! :D

Casa's goal at Least End is my winner. From Witch McGurn's amazing save (unbelievable tekkers) to Casa in his own half, then him galloping up the inside left with McGregor in his wake, nifters ball out to Darren Smith and him charging into the box like a train to blooter the ball into the roof of the net - all in about 10s. Casa's celebratory jump over the advertising almost met me leaping from the stand to greet him. A sublime moment. Samba soccer!

All the goals were great, but I would have picked Bert's as well. Just for the occasion. Also for a centre back he struck it rather beautifully! :D

Ferry's goal V Morton also was very good technique, Cryuff turning the defender before curling it right in the corner. Peach! :D

I thought Murray's goal would win it easy too.

Total cracker, my wee boy only landed a couple of weeks ago after throwing him in the air when Bert's shot flew in.

Would have thought Laurie's header would have made it in. Everything about that goal was perfect from the brilliant delivery matched by an even better timed run and header in to the top corner. Craziest I went all season when that header ripped in. :)

Shame there was no cameras at Somerset Park, the 2nd goal was a cracker.

Couldn't remember the goal, so had a wee look at the official site but still can't recollect it. We'd be able to see it if Ayr didn't charge money for being able to watch their highlights.

Would have thought Laurie's header would have made it in. Everything about that goal was perfect from the brilliant delivery matched by an even better timed run and header in to the top corner. Craziest I went all season when that header ripped in. :)

Yeh I agree with that. For me, it was the highest point of this season. Haven't celebrated a goal like that since Mark Ferry's 93rd minute winner against Arbroath last season.

Laurie's goal sent a mixture of emotions through me. A hell of a lot of surprise, pleasure of seeing such a beautiful goal and the joy of being so much closer to seeing Raith play in a Scottish Cup semi final.

Obviously Bert's goal was class, it was in the first league game against the Pars in so long and he rarely scores, so I can see why it was chosen.

not sure why Tade's against EF was in there, sure Smith scored a couple of crackers against Airdrie didnt he?

Think it was just because they obviously don't make most away games and it was a case of putting in the goals they actually have - I imagine Simmons and Ellis at Dundee for starters would've been in if they had the footage. Wallace at Partick was a good strike too.

Fair enough giving it to Murray, best shot of the season although Williamson's wasn't far behind. Casa would be my winner, if it was Man Utd or Arsenal doing that you'd be hearing about the wonderful counter attacking football for months to come. Although I suppose Darren Smith and Damien Casalinuovo doesn't have the same ring to it as Rooney and Ronaldo.