The New Raith Rovers Thread

The friendlies this season are shite. I miss the games against English league teams, a tradition we seem to have abandoned now. Teams from mickey mouse leagues like Blyth Spartans and Southport (we had to lend them players to play against us to fulfil the fixture!) dont count. Forfar and Stenhousemanure arent much better, and Dundee Utd every year is becoming a bore - its shite.

The friendlies this season are shite. I miss the games against English league teams, a tradition we seem to have abandoned now. Teams from mickey mouse leagues like Blyth Spartans and Southport (we had to lend them players to play against us to fulfil the fixture!) dont count. Forfar and Stenhousemanure arent much better, and Dundee Utd every year is becoming a bore - its shite.

You know what to do then, eh? Don't go.

First time to see our new guys play competitively!

Is a game against Cowden really that competitive? :D Poor man's derby. I can wait a week for the game against East Fife. I've got another 4 chances to catch us playing Cowden. Say hello to Jimmy Nic for me.

Fans never turn out for friendlies, though. We played Norwich last season and more or less the same number of people turned up as they did for the Kilmarnock friendly. As such, "pleasing the fans" isn't very high up on the priority list for arranging friendlies. I'd much rather they were perfectly suited to the needs of the team, and to a lesser extent, the pitch.

Edit: And I like to go to as many friendlies as possible.

Edited by Dunc

But that's exactly what a pre-season game is: a training match.

I wont be at any. If I had the money to buy a season ticket I would have gone to all of them that I could manage but it's not worth paying for over other things I need the money for.

I enjoy friendlies, it's nice to be at a game and not have to worry too much about the score, and it gives you a chance to see how the new signings are looking.

Bring on Montrose biggrin.gif

Last season was worth it to see Gregory Tade trying to get shots on target. Thank god he improved!

Pre season friendlies are glorified training sessions and should be free to watch.

wouldnt be as bad if we had a few more at home to get with the old season ticket

last seasons friendlies were good tests for the guys and gave them what was needed, a good workout and bigger opposition brings in more fans

Must be time to post this again...

(Although this season it would seem pointless given the number of derbies we're getting anyway; but) why isn't the Fife Cup played in pre-season, over a weekend, at one venue? 45 minute games? Involve the four senior sides, plus four others? Two groups on first day, knockout on second.

Damn sight more entertaining than Stenhousemuir away or Norwich at home..

(Although this season it would seem pointless given the number of derbies we're getting anyway; but) why isn't the Fife Cup played in pre-season, over a weekend, at one venue? 45 minute games? Involve the four senior sides, plus four others? Two groups on first day, knockout on second.

yeah instead we play it halfway through the season....

Must be time to post my usual reply

This used to happen in the late 80's and early 90's, but was poorly attended due to the relevant differences in teams ability. Indeed Raith and Dunfermline used to play a mix of youth and 1st teamers, whilst East Fife & Cowdenbeath played their first team.

Having attended all the matches in one of the last weekenders in 1993, IMHO it was the right time to put it this version of the competition to sleep.

The last time it was played as a warm up we played the Shipyard and they kicked off us the park and we had 3 or 4 players out injured for the opening league game, so Jimmy Nic decided to knock it on the head.