The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ok, here we go from memory with penalties under McGlynn...

Williamson - scored against Dunfermline and missed one against Dunfermline. 1/2 converted.

Graham Weir - Penalty at Hampden andd one against Airdrie in the play off converted. Missed against Albion Rovers. 2/3 converted.

Iain Davidson - Missed against Cowdenbeath. 0/1 converted.

Gregory Tadé - Missed against Hamilton. 0/1 converted.

Kevin Smith - Scored against Stirling Albion and Morton from penalties in loan spells. Missed against QP. 2/3 converted.

Gary Wales - Scored a penalty against Ayr United, missed against Peterhead. 1/2 converted.

Allan Walker - Missed against East fife. 0/1 converted.

Craig Wilson - Missed against East Fife. 0/1 converted.

John Baird - Scored against Partick, missed against Dunfermline. 1/2 converted.

Total penalties taken - 16. Penalties converted - 7

Scoring percentage - 43.8%

I've probably missed a few, but that is an absolutely dreadful record.

So if we continue with the' you've missed one, so can't be trusted' method, we are down to (based on our most used first XI this season)

McGurn

Dyer

Ellis

Murray

Simmons

Ferry

Also worth noting that in the match programme for the derby there was a picture of Bairds penalty v Partick, did this give the keeper an advantage or was it just good judgement ?

So if we continue with the' you've missed one, so can't be trusted' method, we are down to (based on our most used first XI this season)

McGurn

Dyer

Ellis

Murray

Simmons

Ferry

Also worth noting that in the match programme for the derby there was a picture of Bairds penalty v Partick, did this give the keeper an advantage or was it just good judgement ?

We really, really shouldn't make that a general rule. Repetition should help the problem, given that Baird is a certain start when fit he should be handed the ball at every opportunity. If he misses 3 or 4 on the bounce we can look at it again but this passign the ball (and the buck) shit has to stop. For situations liek last night, when Baird wasn't on the park there should be a nominated deputy.

As for your second bit, Chris Smith was on the Pars website saying the programme had helped.

We really, really shouldn't make that a general rule. Repetition should help the problem, given that Baird is a certain start when fit he should be handed the ball at every opportunity. If he misses 3 or 4 on the bounce we can look at it again but this passign the ball (and the buck) shit has to stop. For situations liek last night, when Baird wasn't on the park there should be a nominated deputy.

As for your second bit, Chris Smith was on the Pars website saying the programme had helped.

Baird should be no 1 penalty taker, then Williamson and Weir as back up. Although these three have all missed penalties for us they all look reasonably competent and I would fancy them to score more often than not.

The problem is none of these three were on the pitch last night. Despite this almost everyone in the crowd knew Tade would miss last night so I'm sure the senior players and management must've had an inkling as well. Someone should've took the ball off him and given responsibility to someone else eg Ferry or Mole

Baird's penalty against Dunfermline didn't go the same place as the Partick one, so I'm calling bollocks on him there.

I agree. Still a good save though.

Baird should be no 1 penalty taker, then Williamson and Weir as back up. Although these three have all missed penalties for us they all look reasonably competent and I would fancy them to score more often than not.

The problem is none of these three were on the pitch last night. Despite this almost everyone in the crowd knew Tade would miss last night so I'm sure the senior players and management must've had an inkling as well. Someone should've took the ball off him and given responsibility to someone else eg Ferry or Mole

I agree. All strikers miss penalties, it's one of those things. Players finding out 4 seconds before they're hitting the thing that they're todays penalty taker can't be good for the nerves.

Let's calm down a little here. Tade didn't 'miss', it was saved. Granted it's the same end result, but on another day the keeper would've guessed the other side of the goal.

Totally agree with that. Any other day and it was in. It wasn't a blasted shot, it was placed so he probably deserves credit if anything. :lol:

Well considering my Dad shouted, I'm ready for catching it Tade, he did pretty well to keep it low. It was a poor penalty, but like people have said if the goalkeeper had guessed the other way it would have sat nicely in the net.

To be fair Cerny had a great game.

It's easy to turn around and say it would have went in if the keeper had gone the other way, but the point is it was still a very poor penalty.

If you look back through our penalties, the only one I can think of us 'missing' so to speak was Gary Wales against Peterhead, where he hit the bar. All the rest have been saved, and the majority of them have been very poor penalties. It's not down to bad luck that our penalties keep getting saved, it's because the penalties have been poor and the keepers are given good chances of saving them.

It's something I feel we should work on. Penalties have very favourable odds of scoring as opposed to missing, and I feel we're being very wasteful with these excellent opportunities to score goals.

I would think Baird will still be the designated penalty taker, the lad just wants to score goals so one miss isn't going to put him off. Williamson always fancies a blast as well but neither were on the pitch last night, meaning Tade and Davidson fought it out over who was to take it. Tade got to the ball first so it was him. With the greatest respect, Tade and Davidson are surely the two you'd pick last to take penalties? And I include McGurn in that. Tade picked up the ball first and insisted he took it so maybe some players were put off coming forward, but I don't see why Mole or Ferry should've been accepting someone else was taking it.

This is probably irrelevant as we usually get a couple of early season penalties then get about one for the rest of the year anyway.

I would think Baird will still be the designated penalty taker, the lad just wants to score goals so one miss isn't going to put him off. Williamson always fancies a blast as well but neither were on the pitch last night, meaning Tade and Davidson fought it out over who was to take it. Tade got to the ball first so it was him. With the greatest respect, Tade and Davidson are surely the two you'd pick last to take penalties? And I include McGurn in that. Tade picked up the ball first and insisted he took it so maybe some players were put off coming forward, but I don't see why Mole or Ferry should've been accepting someone else was taking it.

This is probably irrelevant as we usually get a couple of early season penalties then get about one for the rest of the year anyway.

I can only imagine the torrent abuse, if someone took the ball of Tade and missed, thats probably why he was allowed to take it.

He can do no wrong that boy

Baird will likely hit them, and I'm sure he'll do fine. His penalty v the Pars was ina a derby and he looked nervous and forgot that when you're nervous you're better to just fucking hammer the thing. The next time he takes one, (in front of 900 people at Forthbank), he'll score.

Williamson - scored against Dunfermline and missed one against Dunfermline. 1/2 converted.

Graham Weir - Penalty at Hampden andd one against Airdrie in the play off converted. Missed against Albion Rovers. 2/3 converted.

Kevin Smith - Scored against Stirling Albion and Morton from penalties in loan spells. Missed against QP. 2/3 converted.

Gary Wales - Scored a penalty against Ayr United, missed against Peterhead. 1/2 converted.

Okay, this is based on a twenty minute scan through the results so I've probably missed a few too, but penalty takers during McGlynn's time that I can see:

McManus 1/1 (v Alloa)

Davidson 0/1 (v Cowden)

Weir 3/4 (scored v Queens Park and Airdrie twice, missed v Albion)

Hislop 2/2 (v Ayr and Ross County)

Goodwillie 1/1 (v Peterhead)

Walker 0/1 (v East Fife)

Wilson 0/1 (v East Fife)

Smith 2/3 (scored v Stirling and Morton, missed v QP)

Wales 2/3 (scored v Ayr and Alloa, missed v Peterhead)

Williamson 1/2 (both v Dunfermline)

Russell 1/1 (v Airdrie)

Baird 1/2 (scored v Partick, missed v Dunfermline)

Tade 0/1 (v Hamilton)

total is 14/23; last season we scored 3/4, the previous season only 3/8.

I'm ignoring penalty shoot-outs, of which there have been a couple during that time.

Okay, this is based on a twenty minute scan through the results so I've probably missed a few too, but penalty takers during McGlynn's time that I can see:

McManus 1/1 (v Alloa)

Davidson 0/1 (v Cowden)

Weir 3/4 (scored v Queens Park and Airdrie twice, missed v Albion)

Hislop 2/2 (v Ayr and Ross County)

Goodwillie 1/1 (v Peterhead)

Walker 0/1 (v East Fife)

Wilson 0/1 (v East Fife)

Smith 2/3 (scored v Stirling and Morton, missed v QP)

Wales 2/3 (scored v Ayr and Alloa, missed v Peterhead)

Williamson 1/2 (both v Dunfermline)

Russell 1/1 (v Airdrie)

Baird 1/2 (scored v Partick, missed v Dunfermline)

Tade 0/1 (v Hamilton)

total is 14/23; last season we scored 3/4, the previous season only 3/8.

I'm ignoring penalty shoot-outs, of which there have been a couple during that time.

Any chance of an application form boys? smile.gif