The New Raith Rovers Thread

4-3-3 is more or less the same thing as the 4-5-1 that we've been playing in some away games anyway, it would just mean Baird on the left and Tadé right. All you're really doing is replacing Mole with Wales.

4-3-3 is more or less the same thing as the 4-5-1 that we've been playing in some away games anyway, it would just mean Baird on the left and Tadé right. All you're really doing is replacing Mole with Wales.

Agree, although I think we'd be likely to see Tade in the middle of it because of his height and power. On that note, I'm really not a fan of the 4-5-1 we've been playing. I'm not your typical idiotic Scottish fan who'll moan about anything that doesn't have two clearly labelled strikers, but Baird (in particular) and Tade struggle out wide. Well, Tade doesn't struggle as such, but he hasn't got a final ball so it's fairly pointless playing him there.

I appreciate McGlynn is obviously trying to find a different method of approaching games which I happily support as in a league where you play each other four times a season, the winner is normally the most flexible. But that 4-5-1/4-3-3 thing with the personel we have? Na, not for me. The only times it's worked so far was Morton away, and I think we could've played any formation and won that day.

In my mind, we did not play that way in latter stages of the Second Division, we clearly had three strikers up front.

The situation you're describing is the only way that McGlynn would play in the First Division.

Edited by St. Starko

Yes, SS, but that's just a function of how well we're playing or much much good possession we can get. If you're in control of the game you can push the wide players forward more, otherwise they have to drop back. That shouldn't be confused with any inherent difference in system.

Yes, SS, but that's just a function of how well we're playing or much much good possession we can get. If you're in control of the game you can push the wide players forward more, otherwise they have to drop back. That shouldn't be confused with any inherent difference in system.

I understand where you're coming from, but when we played three up front in Division 2 I didn't see the other two strikers as playing in wingers positions, but actually running alongside Smith, although to be fair, if need be, running into the channel too.

Right now, I see it as McBride and Williamson playing a normal wingers role and rarely partnering Mole up at the top.

It doesn't really matter as right now, McGlynn will play the way you've suggested if Wales and Baird get a game at the same time.

The thing is we play everybody four times so managers will have to have different systems that can be implemented. One of the main reasons Stirling used to do us over was because they changed systems and mcglynn didn't deal with it quick enough or at all

Unthinkable for the Skipper to miss....

I know the highlights are on youtube, but these are a bit more extended. Also a feature on the SFL website with interviews with Jimmy and Mickey.

The blurb to the right says that the game was 25 years ago! :huh:

Shivers up my spine watching that again.

From the Dalziel interview....

What exactly was going through your head when big Marshall spilled Jason Dair's shot?

All of those years of being a striker, good habits that you have learned like always following the shot in as you never know what is going to happen. When I saw Jason cutting in I'm thinking that one thing about him is that he was strong on both feet, he was equally as good on his left as he was on his right. I saw him going to have a shot and I thought to myself that if you don't buy a raffle ticket you will never win the raffle! You've got to take a wee gamble. Mowbray and McNally were the centre backs that day and they switched off as they thought that Marshall was collecting Jason's shot. I took the gamble based on the instincts of years and years playing up front, you never know what is going to happen so you just follow it in and something might spill for you. Luckily that day it did and it was like slow motion just trying to get the ball into the back of the net for what turned out to be a very important goal.

Legend!

Edited by Andy C

Am I the only one that is worried that we are in the brown stuff? unsure.gif

Funnily enough, no. I was thinking a few weeks back (may have posted) that a lot of our fans seem to have forgotten our finances due to our high league position and cup run last season. Situations like this, and it can be seen with other clubs like Dundee last season, where the fans completely forget about finances because the product on the pitch is getting results.

The finances at the club aren't great but then they're not great anywhere. The one thing that gives me comfort is that we have Rovers people with the interest of Rovers at heart running the club. We also have fairly active fan groups from the Trust, 200 Club through to Fife's Finest who can and will raise money for the club if required. So no time to press the panic button but like all clubs in Scotland we can't be complacent.

On 271194 I remember Dair hitting it then thinking Christ Daz is surely offside. I actually held my celebration as I thought the flag was going up.

The first goal was a cracker. I felt physically ill until that went in. Stupid but true.

And then the penalties. I remember turning to my brother and saying here we go raith in Europe just before McStay missed - I mean Thomson saved ;) - what a brilliant day that was. I'm still smiling about it 16 years later.

Everyone a legend!

laugh.gif I always loved the one from Dazza where he said 'People tried to say I headed in with my nose, thats untrue, because if I had, I'd have burst the net...'

What a man Dazza was, ok so he couldn't manage a shite in a shitter. But he's still a Rovers legend and always will be. Watching those Highlights still give me tears of joy.

Am I the only one that is worried that we are in the brown stuff? unsure.gif

Funnily enough, no. I was thinking a few weeks back (may have posted) that a lot of our fans seem to have forgotten our finances due to our high league position and cup run last season. Situations like this, and it can be seen with other clubs like Dundee last season, where the fans completely forget about finances because the product on the pitch is getting results.

I blame Whistleblower for not being around often enough to remind us.

I can't pretend to know an awful lot about the clubs finances, but I like to think we do have the right people in charge now, and any nefariously-minded oil barons would be pointed towards the esplanade if they rocked up at Starks' Park.

I like to think.

Scotsman

"Meanwhile, First Division leaders Raith Rovers have confirmed that on-loan Hearts striker Jamie Mole will return to the Tynecastle club in early January. Stark's Park manager John McGlynn said: "Under the terms of his loan deal Jamie has to go back to Hearts. That frees up some money from our budget and I will be keen to get someone else in."

So... who's coming in? Wales after January? Or is he being included already and we're going to see someone else coming in?

Edited by Raith Against The Machine