The New Raith Rovers Thread

Was pretty much the impression I took of him from the game against Morecambe. Gives us a dilemma though as I really like Walker in the middle, he does a shift out wide but Davidson always plays so it's either Walker wide and Hamill in the middle or vice versa. And although it's hard to tell I don't see Hamill being too different to Simmons in the middle, in that he won't get forward much or provide too much in terms of attacking threat - his goal record backs that up. And that means we'll go back to humping it.

From the FFP.

Does that mean there may well be two players to come in, or that Thomson is the deal still to be finalised? I'd say it suggests there a separate player altogether...

we live in hope

What has puzzled me about McGlynn has never seen the need for a midfield playmaker. In the past we had the likes of Heatherston, Nanu, and Paquito who were exceptional. If we had someone who can read the game and pick out a telling pass we'd be twice the teanm we are. Walker and Davidson do fine but they're not creative. I was hoping Hamill would fill the void, but it now seems thats not what McGlynn has him in mind for.

I'd class Allan Walker as a creative midfielder, no? I think he'll prove that he's perfectly capable of providing some good link up with the strikers over the course of the season.

Anyway, the one time we did have a genuine creative midfielder (Sloan) he was widely derided by the fans for being lazy, and we had morons claiming that assists from corners and free kicks don't count.

I'd class Allan Walker as a creative midfielder, no? I think he'll prove that he's perfectly capable of providing some good link up with the strikers over the course of the season.

Anyway, the one time we did have a genuine creative midfielder (Sloan) he was widely derided by the fans for being lazy, and we had morons claiming that assists from corners and free kicks don't count.

If Sloan's track of thought was about 5 minutes quicker he'd never have been near Raith Rovers.

If Sloan's track of thought was about 5 minutes quicker he'd never have been near Raith Rovers.

Indeed.

That's just the way it goes in the Scottish lower leagues though - A lot of players with some very good abilities, but glaring flaws are the reason they're not playing at a higher level. Mark Ferry for example had everything a footballer needed, but was massively hindered by his lack of pace.

It's unfortunate, but we wouldn't have these players otherwise.

Indeed.

That's just the way it goes in the Scottish lower leagues though - A lot of players with some very good abilities, but glaring flaws are the reason they're not playing at a higher level. Mark Ferry for example had everything a footballer needed, but was massively hindered by his lack of pace.

It's unfortunate, but we wouldn't have these players otherwise.

yup. Think people automatically think of a Colin Cameron type who will pick a pass and score goals, we have had similar players tho nowhere near that calibere recently. Always remember chatting to a guy in the Lizzy after the imfamous 2-0 win over the Pars (Casa's debut) where he had coached both McFadden and Sloan at an early age and thought Sloan was a brillant player. True tho if he could of moved the ball a few seconds before he did then he would of still been in the SPL both him and Simmons were guilty of holding onto the ball too long, tho Sloan was a far more consistant player even tho I did give him a fair bit of stick

Right...:huh:

Ah, the old 'creative midfielder'.... as elusive as Robert Denby!

The problem with that type of player is that they don't really exist, when asked to describe the role of such a player, people inevitably end up crapping out a tonne of pointless cliches borrowed from Andy fucking Gray.

What has puzzled me about McGlynn has never seen the need for a midfield playmaker. In the past we had the likes of Heatherston, Nanu, and Paquito who were exceptional. If we had someone who can read the game and pick out a telling pass we'd be twice the teanm we are. Walker and Davidson do fine but they're not creative. I was hoping Hamill would fill the void, but it now seems thats not what McGlynn has him in mind for.

I'm amazed we have done anything in the last 20 years, if we have only had 3 creative midfielders in that time :rolleyes:

:lol:

Honestly, if you ask ten people what a 'creative midfielder' is, you'll get ten different answers (although all will include that awful cliche 'a telling pass'), so you can't define the role in th same way as a central defender, or a goalkeeper. it's not actually a position on a football field, it is, if anything a loose description of a set of attributes that one guy or another may have playing in the midfield.

In his own post, BB mentioned three guys, PC mentioned another - Cameron - as 'creative midfielders' and yet all men had very differnet styles of play, and offered different things to the team. So I ask, what is a 'creative midfielder' Walker got forward, made chances and scored some goals, is he the 'creative midfielder' was it Sloan? Williamson?Again both very different players doing different things on the park.

In a 4-4-2, certainly one midfielder sits and one pushes on, but even at that - which one is the 'creative midfielder' necessarilly the guy who goes forward? Or can it be the guy who sits further back? To my mind we had Simmons last year who happily do the latter all day, and would play some intelligent passes, you also had Walker who'd arrive late in the box and could make chances for himslef and others. So which one was the 'creative midfielder' one, both, none?

I think Walker fits the bill of 'creative midfielder' pretty well as in he links up well between midfield and the strikers and helps them by arriving in the box and scoring all well. My idea of a creative midfielder is an attack minded midfielder such as Lampard, Gerrard or Iniesta, obviously I wouldnt do Allan Walket the disservice of comparing him to those three haddies though.

Honestly, if you ask ten people what a 'creative midfielder' is, you'll get ten different answers (although all will include that awful cliche 'a telling pass'), so you can't define the role in th same way as a central defender, or a goalkeeper. it's not actually a position on a football field, it is, if anything a loose description of a set of attributes that one guy or another may have playing in the midfield.

In his own post, BB mentioned three guys, PC mentioned another - Cameron - as 'creative midfielders' and yet all men had very differnet styles of play, and offered different things to the team. So I ask, what is a 'creative midfielder' Walker got forward, made chances and scored some goals, is he the 'creative midfielder' was it Sloan? Williamson?Again both very different players doing different things on the park.

In a 4-4-2, certainly one midfielder sits and one pushes on, but even at that - which one is the 'creative midfielder' necessarilly the guy who goes forward? Or can it be the guy who sits further back? To my mind we had Simmons last year who happily do the latter all day, and would play some intelligent passes, you also had Walker who'd arrive late in the box and could make chances for himslef and others. So which one was the 'creative midfielder' one, both, none?

A 'creative' midfielder is basically just a shit-hot midfielder who has everything and makes the game look easy. Hetherston is an example in that he could take down a long pass and control it instantly, gave a good supply of chances to the forwards and weighed in with goals too. Brewster was another excellent example, in that he could play up front or midfield, had great control a good burst of pace over two or three yards and could finish from anywhere up to 35 yards from goal. Mickey Cameron was another good example, as was Danny Lennon, as was Barry Wilson....ooo....and Tony Rougier.

It's no surprise that all these guys played in one of the most successful eras of Rovers history.

Edited by Scary Bear

He wasn't lazy, he was just slow. Assists from free-kicks and corners are welcome, but they tend not to get players the same accolades they would get if their creativity came from open play. Sloan's direct free-kicks were some of the best i've seen in my time watching the Rovers. How many goals did the guy score from free-kicks? It seems like quite a few and the cracker he scored against Brechin will stay in my memory for some time.