The New Raith Rovers Thread

While cocking about on Wikipedia, I stumbled upon the page of a certain Laurie Ellis. As well as noticing he's apparently signed for Indian Premier League side Viva Kerala, I see that this season marks Laurie's tenth as a professional with the Rovers. Assuming he isn't off to India any time soon, of course.

Anyway, while obviously Laurie's ten years of service have come over three separate spells, does anyone know if there's any plans to mark his service i.e. with a testimonial?

All hail King Laurence.

Edited by Paco

The guy deserves it anyway. Back under Dalziel he was out at schools coaching on top of his training, I'm not sure if he still does it but with John McGlynn saying him and Murray were down in Largs for their coaching badges you can only assume so. He's been a brilliant servant to the club in all his spells. He's been played out of position for a lot of the time too. Who will ever forget Dundee? :D

Anyway, while obviously Laurie's ten years of service have come over three separate spells, does anyone know if there's any plans to mark his service i.e. with a testimonial?

All hail King Laurence.

I raised this a month or two ago but I think everyone fell asleep. I'd love to see it. Effing love Laurie Ellis, I do.

Apart from Ronnie's match, who was the most recent recipient of such a game? I can mind Andy Leigh's v Coventry and Dalziel's v St. Johnstone.

Was it though, this was one of two mistakes McGlynn made. The other being Sparky imo.

Think McGlynn was right to get rid of Simmons,decent player when he felt like it which wasn`t too often.Lazy.Campbell,unsure about that one,he wasn`t the same player after his accident and was beginning to make mistakes and generally lax on the ball.

Think McGlynn was right to get rid of Simmons,decent player when he felt like it which wasn`t too often.Lazy.Campbell,unsure about that one,he wasn`t the same player after his accident and was beginning to make mistakes and generally lax on the ball.

Agreed, you would still put your house on him winning every high ball but was looking very slow on the turn and was caught in possession a few times towards the seasons end

Agreed, you would still put your house on him winning every high ball but was looking very slow on the turn and was caught in possession a few times towards the seasons end

Sparky was a threat at corners, and got his fair share of goals. Who in our current line up will do that this season? I'm thinking..........No one.

Sparky was a threat at corners, and got his fair share of goals. Who in our current line up will do that this season? I'm thinking..........No one.

Sparky was immense for us, and you just need to remember the reaction of the fans when he walked out pitchside at Dens Park in our Scottish Cup match there to see what he meant to us, but things change, he had lost some pace (which he never had bags of anyway), and looked almost worried to turn too quickly (maybe incase he shot his knee), he was turned by his man or caught in possession quite often at the tail end of last season, IMO he would have cost us more goals than he would score/create this season.

He`s been a great servant to the club & wish him well at Queens.

I think with a proper pre-season behind him Campbell would've been a valuable player for us. Not that he wasn't in the second half of last season, he had some terrific performances, and as mentioned he was a good threat to have at corners too.

I'd definitely prefer to still have him. I'd have kept Simmons ahead of a couple of players that remain under contract but I'm not overly upset he's gone, and I think we'd all have kept Wilson but it seems money was the main factor. As it probably was with Campbell and Simmons as well, in fairness, all three were very much favoured by McGlynn.

We discussed all this in May though, hopefully the guys that come in, and that are still to arrive, can make us forget about these players shortly. New season just four days away! :D

We discussed all this in May though, hopefully the guys that come in, and that are still to arrive, can make us forget about these players shortly. New season just four days away! :D

No chance of that when you`ve got that avatar is there.wink.gif

Forgot to mention this yesterday. Mate of mine txt me saying he saw McGlynn in the gym with a trialist and asked the lads name and he was told Jonathan played for a team in Paris apparently. Might be a load of shite likes but wondered if anyone else had heard anything...

Forgot to mention this yesterday. Mate of mine txt me saying he saw McGlynn in the gym with a trialist and asked the lads name and he was told Jonathan played for a team in Paris apparently. Might be a load of shite likes but wondered if anyone else had heard anything...

Hopefully not a 7-a-side one. I did hear a rumor, may be bullshit, that we may be interested in getting John Fleck in on loan.

Hopefully not a 7-a-side one. I did hear a rumor, may be bullshit, that we may be interested in getting John Fleck in on loan.

Perhaps this has a bearing on the rumour ?

Wikipedia.

On 2 August 2009 it was revealed that Fleck had been dropped from the Rangers first-team after a training ground bust-up with assistant manager Ally McCoist.[10][11]

We're only a few weeks from that incident being 2 years old!

I'd have to say that sounds like a very, very poor rumour to me. It's so implausible that it's just plain lazy.

I'm not convinced by it either. I just thought I would put it out there because maybe somebody on here knows a bit more than me. Either to confirm or deny.