The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm livid.

Incandescent with rage.

I'm livid.

Incandescent with rage.

Suppose we should all happy clap to relegation, and just put up with what we're given. Bash on lads, if your happy with the way we've played this season, then i'm truly ecstatic for you. By the way, i buggered up the mutiquote function

Edited by baillieinleeds

Okay, now that our season is effectively over, and we're safe. But you know we'll finish below Dumbarton, simply not good enough. In a nutshell we've been absolutely honking all season, now is the time to rid ourselves of the management team and most of the squad. How can a manager make mistake after mistake, week in week out and expect the fans to turn up religously. From top to bottom we need change, actually players who want to play for this club. No doubt the happy clappers will be seething, as ones opinions of this season differs from their own agenda

Suppose we should all happy clap to relegation, and just put up with what we're given. Bash on lads, if your happy with the way we've played this season, then i'm truly ecstatic for you. By the way, i buggered up the mutiquote function

^^^SEETHING

All this from Leeds,how many games gave you actually been to ,honking all season just isn't the case,we have been so inconsistent it's painful tho.

Just out of interest who would you replace Murray and smudger with

All this from Leeds,how many games gave you actually been to ,honking all season just isn't the case,we have been so inconsistent it's painful tho.

Just out of interest who would you replace Murray and smudger with

I was just about to blast back, was thinking whats Jug going to say. I've been to 15 games this season. I've spotted you and Paddy a few times, but my presence wouldn't have been appreciated.

For me regardless where we finish in the league now Murray deserves a chance to try and improve us for next season, 7th isn't a terrible season really and I'm quite comfortable to see if Murray can improve on that.

We literally can't be relegated. I'm pleased with that, given the budgetary constraints the club operates under. I'll be pleased if that's the case again this time next year, because the league looks like it might be even tougher.

I'm a realist. I don't operate under the assumption that I follow a big team just because I saw them play Bayern Munich once back in 1995.

If you can't take any joy or satisfaction from seeing the Rovers avoid a relegation battle, I suggest you stop watching them for the next five to ten years and save yourself a lot of anger and upset.

The situation is going to get worse before it gets better. Hopefully the Celtic money has eased some worries this year, and might even stave off the threat of 100% part-time football for another 12 months, but we won't be on the telly every season.

As a club, we're essentially clinging onto life, waiting for reconstruction that might not come in time. There aren't many clubs ahead of us in the queue to become the next Dunfermline.

And despite all of this, in his first year of management, Grant Murray has kept the team clear of relegation and progressed well in both cups only to be knocked out by Celtic.

I don't care if the Rovers aren't winning trophies, as long as I can still go and see them every Saturday. Maybe some would prefer it if the board hired a tried and tested manager on inflated wages and gave him the budget to take the club to the SPL, despite the financial situation at the club. I'd suggest they speak to the Pars fans about how the other side of that feels, though.

The biggest disappointment for me this season has been the attitude of the players. They've upped their game against the better teams and also when it looked like we might be dragged into the play off positions. The rest of the time they look like they can't be bothered.

Total clear out required in the summer.

The biggest disappointment for me this season has been the attitude of the players. They've upped their game against the better teams and also when it looked like we might be dragged into the play off positions. The rest of the time they look like they can't be bothered.

Total clear out required in the summer.

If the rumours are true, that we'll be 100% part time next season. Then we should be able to attract some of the best part timers available. 12 12 18 is out the window now, so we should be budgeting for PT football.

Lets be honest here, it would have taken something ridiculous for that group of players to get relegated in this league, regardless of the manager.

Obviously I'm glad to stay up, but lets not kid ourselves that its something worth celebrating - its the bare minimum that should have been achieved.

I think we have underachieved a bit this season, personally.

We literally can't be relegated. I'm pleased with that, given the budgetary constraints the club operates under. I'll be pleased if that's the case again this time next year, because the league looks like it might be even tougher.

I'm a realist. I don't operate under the assumption that I follow a big team just because I saw them play Bayern Munich once back in 1995.

If you can't take any joy or satisfaction from seeing the Rovers avoid a relegation battle, I suggest you stop watching them for the next five to ten years and save yourself a lot of anger and upset.

The situation is going to get worse before it gets better. Hopefully the Celtic money has eased some worries this year, and might even stave off the threat of 100% part-time football for another 12 months, but we won't be on the telly every season.

As a club, we're essentially clinging onto life, waiting for reconstruction that might not come in time. There aren't many clubs ahead of us in the queue to become the next Dunfermline.

And despite all of this, in his first year of management, Grant Murray has kept the team clear of relegation and progressed well in both cups only to be knocked out by Celtic.

I don't care if the Rovers aren't winning trophies, as long as I can still go and see them every Saturday. Maybe some would prefer it if the board hired a tried and tested manager on inflated wages and gave him the budget to take the club to the SPL, despite the financial situation at the club. I'd suggest they speak to the Pars fans about how the other side of that feels, though.

Probably the most sensible post I've ever read from a Rovers fan on Pie and Bovril

Lets be honest here, it would have taken something ridiculous for that group of players to get relegated in this league, regardless of the manager. Obviously I'm glad to stay up, but lets not kid ourselves that its something worth celebrating - its the bare minimum that should have been achieved. I think we have underachieved a bit this season, personally.

Agree with that. Three fully part-time teams are in the league this season. if we'd been in a serious relegation scrap at any stage Murray would have to go, no questions asked. Seventh was the minimum requirement for me, We'll better that, kind of by default because of the Pars but then you could argue they played most of the season with a team they couldn't afford anyway and have thus returned to their 'true' position.

With players like McGurn, Thomson, Grant Anderson, Graham and Spence who are better than the majority in their position in the league I think we've underachieved a little bit. Murray's had far from a perfect season - and ditching the 3-5-2 when we were getting results with it has annoyed me beyond words - but he was thrown into the job in July, his first managerial position, so of course he's going to make mistakes.

His big test now is learning from them. He shouldn't be changing formation once a fortnight, we shouldn't have a different centre-back pairing every week, and out of form players like Walker or Clarke should be dropped when they're not playing well. He's got a chance to make his own squad with everyone except Donaldson out of contract so let's see what he can do.

The season's not been dreadful, indeed I'd argue last season was worse although we did finish very strongly, but it's far from a success either. Let's see what Murray can really do now.

I've not been at as many games as I'd like lately, but the recurring reports of the players being on holiday mode has really irked me. Every single one of them except Reece Donaldson is out of contract, yet there appears to be a lack of effort. That's unacceptable.

The season is almost over, reconstruction - the panacea as far as the league's chairmen were concerned - is finished and our crowds are, for lack of a better word, poor. Financially, next season isn't looking good at all and you think the players would appreciate that rather than display apathy because the job of avoiding relegation is done. Maybe it is, but unemployment is a very real possibility for a few of them next season.

Murray is going to make mistakes, but I don't think the fact it's his first season in management can be used to rebut all of the criticism that comes his way. This has been a disappointing season, and finishing below Dumbarton (if that happens) could only be seen as an under achievement given their part-time status. He can do better, and I hope that he manages to do so next season.

I'm afraid we need a pretty big clear out in the summer. There aren't many players I think we absolutely must keep.

Edited by Michael W

I'd usually wait til summer to do this kind of thing but who would everyone punt and keep? I'd have the following:

David McGurn - keep

Ross Laidlaw - keep

Jason Thomson - keep

Simon Mensing - keep if possible

Grant Murray - keep, think he's got a season in him as a player yet

Laurie Ellis - he'll be here regardless so back-up only

Eddie Malone - punt

Reece Donaldson - under contract

Dougie Hill - punt

Grant Anderson - keep

Stuart Anderson - keep, not massively upset if he goes

Walker - keep, not massively upset if he goes

Hamill - punt

Cardle - keep if possible

Callachan - keep

Vaughn - no idea what he's like

Clarke - punt

Graham - keep if possible

Spence - keep if possible

Not quite the mass clearout I thought really. The defence certainly needs an overhaul, I'd be looking to keep Thomson and have the other three places filled by new players in the summer, with Murray and Ellis on hand to deputise/play if they're on form. Midfield wise Grant Anderson is the only must-keep, Walker can be very effective but we've not seen it often enough and if every game we played was sunny, on a nice pitch with no wind Stuart Anderson would be the first name on the teamsheet but he's just not got the fight for a First Division winter slog. Graham I imagine will be off but if possible he has to stay, Clarke hasn't offered enough in goal return or overall play, and he's been injury prone on top of that, so I'd definitely have him out the door. Overall I'd be hopeful of five/six new players in and around the starting line-up. There's a decent spine in that team to build upon.

Under contract: Donaldson

Players out of contract, but staying unless removed from their positions: Ellis, Murray

Definitely keep: McGurn, Laidlaw, Thomson, Mensing, G. Anderson, Spence. I feel Cardle and Graham will be off, but I'd keep them if I could. Likewise, I'm concerned Thomson & Spence will get something better too, and Mensing made it clear when he signed that we wanted to move back down south. In other words, we can't always get what we want.

The rest I'm not that fussed about. There are some I'd like to keep more than others and some I'd definitely punt, but i wouldn't be overly sad if we don't keep any of the rest of them. I'd probably keep one of Hamill & S. Anderson, though neither of these players in isolation offer us enough. Both are competent passers of the ball, but neither are particularly geared towards being an attacking or defensive midfielder. In particular, I don't think S. Anderson is cut out for a two man centre midfield as he just doesn't offer enough in there. He's an excellent passer, but needs others to make up for his lack of pace and attacking and defensive shortcomings, and one player alone cannot do that. Hamill has been much improved, but he's full-time. Can we afford him?

Allan Walker is an odd one. He's had a fair few assists, but was absolutely awful for a large spell in the middle of the season. We need to remove the remaining McGlynnisms from the team, so maybe him leaving wouldn't be a particularly bad thing. Hill has been a good servant but his time's up and I won't be upset if Malone goes.

Under contract: Donaldson

Players out of contract, but staying unless removed from their positions: Ellis, Murray

Definitely keep: McGurn, Laidlaw, Thomson, Mensing, G. Anderson, Spence. I feel Cardle and Graham will be off, but I'd keep them if I could. Likewise, I'm concerned Thomson & Spence will get something better too, and Mensing made it clear when he signed that we wanted to move back down south. In other words, we can't always get what we want.

The rest I'm not that fussed about. There are some I'd like to keep more than others and some I'd definitely punt, but i wouldn't be overly sad if we don't keep any of the rest of them. I'd probably keep one of Hamill & S. Anderson, though neither of these players in isolation offer us enough. Both are competent passers of the ball, but neither are particularly geared towards being an attacking or defensive midfielder. In particular, I don't think S. Anderson is cut out for a two man centre midfield as he just doesn't offer enough in there. He's an excellent passer, but needs others to make up for his lack of pace and attacking and defensive shortcomings, and one player alone cannot do that. Hamill has been much improved, but he's full-time. Can we afford him?

Allan Walker is an odd one. He's had a fair few assists, but was absolutely awful for a large spell in the middle of the season. We need to remove the remaining McGlynnisms from the team, so maybe him leaving wouldn't be a particularly bad thing. Hill has been a good servant but his time's up and I won't be upset if Malone goes.

Even G. Anderson is a doubt for me. He can be great going past opposition players for fun, but then he seems to lose the plot and can't decide whether to shoot of cross (or at least that's how it looks sometimes) and makes an arse of the final ball.

Hamill has been good of late, but my worry is that he's one of these chancers of players who only puts in a bit of effort when his contract is up, and then reverts to the same shit form when he gets a new contract.

S. Anderson is okay on his day, and was even getting a bit of a swagger on (Glen Hoddle-esque - but he probably doesn't hate the disabled) in recent games against Morton and Partick, but he looks too much like Donaldson and keeps confusing me. So he may have to be bagged.