The New Raith Rovers Thread

We have a young lad as a striker as well, forget his name. Agreed tho the focus should be on defence there is no need to bring in more strikers when we have the bodies in their already. We don't have the money just to "give us something different" to try and freshen things up

The thing is though, are we even looking to strengthen the squad. Other teams in our league are looking to bolster their squads. I'd hazard a guess that we're running with what we have now. I hope not in all honesty, but John Baird seems to be available, and Hugh Murray. Excellent aquisitions in my opinion.

I'd prefer us not to gamble. We don't look like winning the league and there's no saying that the players we'd be getting would be any better than we've got.

We just need the likes of Spence an Smith to find some form again, Cardle and Anderson to stay on the field and our defenders to stop getting sent off. That only leaves the problematic goalkeeping situation. Not sure what to do there. I would say Laidlaw is on his final warning then it's time to get someone in on loan or give Colin Stewart a go. No point signing Stewart if we've no intention of playing him. I know folk say he's rotten but if that's the case, why did we sign him?

I'm hoping we have enough about us to make the play-offs, although admittedly recent results don't give me much confidence. If we don't make them, c'est la vie.

I's like to see us sign a capable or promising defender or two on loan until the end of the season.

This.

We have been desperately unlucky losing both McGurn and Watson.

We need to stop shipping goals. I'm not sure there would be a goalie significantly better than Laidlaw available or affordable. The experience he is gaining now, if it doesn't break him, will benefit him and the club long term.

Who are we trying to kid? We're not gonna sign anybody whether it's on a free or a loan, we're going through this month without bringing anyone in

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I get this feeling the club are more than willing to plod along with our current squad of players knowing we're probably to good to go down but have the possible scenario of making the play offs. We make the play offs that means ££££ we win the play offs that means ££££, we lose the play offs or don't even make the play offs that still means ££££ (due to possible teams in championship next season). Are the club fearful that promotion via the play offs incurs additional costs that we cannot afford ie media boxes, under soil heating, updated hospitality boxes etc?

If we remain in the championship next season through choice (horribly choice of words I know) then it'll just be a b*****d of a league to get out of.

If we remain in the championship next season through choice (horribly choice of words I know) then it'll just be a b*****d of a league to get out of.

It is a pretty unfair choice of words.... if we could simply choose promotion then I'm sure we would do. Even if we were to sign half a team we wouldn't be guaranteed promotion.

It's a difficult decision for the board for the reasons you state. Is there much to be gained from strengthening the squad? We won't go down. We may or may not make the play-offs regardless of strengthening (granted our chances would improve) but would the financial reward of making them pay for one or two extra players til the end of the season?

I think we are being sorely tested with our defensive resource and we have lost our Goalie (and arguably our best player) until the end of the season. I think the signing of a decent defender could be the difference between play-offs and no playoffs so, IMO, this would be a decent investment.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I get this feeling the club are more than willing to plod along with our current squad of players knowing we're probably to good to go down but have the possible scenario of making the play offs. We make the play offs that means ££££ we win the play offs that means ££££, we lose the play offs or don't even make the play offs that still means ££££ (due to possible teams in championship next season). Are the club fearful that promotion via the play offs incurs additional costs that we cannot afford ie media boxes, under soil heating, updated hospitality boxes etc?

Its the harsh reality, we have a core fanbase of 1500. Not really Premiership is it, who's to say that'll rise if we manage to go up. The BoD aren't mind readers. Another reality is we can't afford to be promoted, but who says we can't be competitive

Its the harsh reality, we have a core fanbase of 1500. Not really Premiership is it, who's to say that'll rise if we manage to go up. The BoD aren't mind readers. Another reality is we can't afford to be promoted, but who says we can't be competitive

St Johnstone got around 1500 a week in this league and even when they went up it barely rose. They're not doing so well this season I guess but they're the example we need to try and follow.

We can afford to be promoted. We don't need undersoil heating anymore in the SPFL so there's a million quid automatically saved in comparison to this time last year. We turned a profit last season and we'll turn a profit this season, things are on the up for us if we play our cards right. What I will say though is the profits are as a result of cup runs. Does this mean we "can't afford" to be in the Championship? If Greig Spence hadn't scored in the 90th minute to equalise at Airdrie we probably wouldn't have turned a profit last season. If we'd lost as expected in Dingwall instead of winning 4-1 as well we definitely wouldn't have done. Profit is down to fortune in this division. The restructure will help but given we don't even have a fucking sponsor it won't help as much as thought, this season at least. Yes an outlay is required to go into the top division, but why are people so reluctant to speculate to accumulate? Don't go mental on players, watch the ground filled up by Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs, take the TV money, scrap it out with utter shite like Ross County, Partick Thistle, St Mirren, and take your chances. We might come down but if we do, try again. If we're sensible with player contracts it shouldn't cost a thing.

The Championship next season will be won by Rangers. The season after it'll probably be won by Hearts. Why are we so determined to stay in it? We'll turn a profit in this league next season, and probably the season after too but what the f**k is the point if we never have any ambition to go further.....

Edited by Paco

Exactly as a club you need to aspire to get the club as far as possible, we all want the glory days back but we wont see any more European nights or proper cup finals if we get comfortable. That said I don't envy the boards position, if they gamble and bring in a few players and it doesnt make much difference they will be slated for wasting money on players when we could play our own youths. If they dont free up the money they will be accussed of having no amibition for the club. Having said that potentially in terms of revenue we are in a bit of a win win situation. We have 2 decent gates coming up for the cup game against Hibs then the final a few months after, plus the restructured cash for finishing position and potentially any extra cash if we do make the play offs for extra games. Next season regardless what league we are in we will have at least one of the Glasgow clubs, good chance of one of the Edinburgh clubs and if we stay down we may also have the Pars back in the league. I know that money isn't the beall and endall but every club needs a decent turn over to start improving and I know if we stay down the best we would probably hope for is the play offs again

We have been really unfortunate with injuries/suspensions hitting us at the same point in time which at the start of the season we all knew could be a risk with the squad size we have. That said I was hopeful of a play off spot at the start of the season and there is no reason why that isn't still achievable

St Johnstone got around 1500 a week in this league and even when they went up it barely rose. They're not doing so well this season I guess but they're the example we need to try and follow.

We can afford to be promoted. We don't need undersoil heating anymore in the SPFL so there's a million quid automatically saved in comparison to this time last year. We turned a profit last season and we'll turn a profit this season, things are on the up for us if we play our cards right. What I will say though is the profits are as a result of cup runs. Does this mean we "can't afford" to be in the Championship?

If Greig Spence hadn't scored in the 90th minute to equalise at Airdrie we probably wouldn't have turned a profit last season. If we'd lost as expected in Dingwall instead of winning 4-1 as well we definitely wouldn't have done. ( Surely THAT'S the benefit of a cup run for almost EVERY club - not just us)

Profit is down to fortune in this division. ( I'd say that is applicable throughout EVERY league)

The restructure will help but given we don't even have a fucking sponsor it won't help as much as thought, this season at least.

Yes an outlay is required to go into the top division, but why are people so reluctant to speculate to accumulate? Don't go mental on players, (being able to afford the quality required to achieve this is often NOT in control of the club, so how far do you go in your gamble speculation given your proviso of "not going mental on players"?) watch the ground filled up by Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs, take the TV money, scrap it out with utter shite like Ross County, Partick Thistle, St Mirren, and take your chances. We might come down but if we do, try again. (Wouldn't argue with this at all... been done before in the 90's.)

If we're sensible with player contracts (see above) it shouldn't cost a thing.(Hmmmmmm)

The Championship next season will be won by Rangers. (Really ??) The season after it'll probably be won by Hearts. Why are we so determined to stay in it?

We'll turn a profit in this league next season, and probably the season after too but what the f**k is the point if we never have any ambition to go further..... (If you think spending is the only action that proves ambition then you are on dodgy ground indeed)

I am more than happy the way the club is being managed right now. Appropriate spending and debt management is what will keep the club alive for future generations and that is no bad thing. We've nearly lost the club before - it CANNOT be put in that position again - regardless of the "prize" on offer.

IF the next three seasons see us turn in a healthy profit, as you summised, then THAT is what will allow us to "speculate" (gamble) on a tilt at the top league but from a position of STRENGTH (financially)

But - as you mentioned before - it's all down to "fortune" ;)

..and T.H. of course 8)

I should point out none of that at all was aimed at the board, more what seems to me to be astoundingly something like a majority of the support who are happy to sit on their arse and wait for Rangers and Dunfermline. The board are doing a fine job - I'm not convinced they have to bring new players in this month, it'd be nice, but Grant Murray went with quality and not quantity in the summer. A decision I agree entirely with but if we end up with a mounting injury list, which sadly we have, then you suffer for it. We probably will bring in one or two players and I'll be happy if we do. We should have the funds to cover it despite an undoubted shortfall in home crowds.

In relation to a couple of your points. Yes, the benefit of a cup run for every club is the effect it has on finances, however we have to admit we got the luck of the draw last season (credit to the team for that - got to be in it to win it etc) and if we hadn't done, or if Spence hadn't rescued us late on at Airdrie, we'd have made yet another loss last season, despite yet more cuts to the playing budget. We couldn't really have cut much more if we're honest, and even the likes of Mensing, Watt, Smith all came in after we were drawn at Celtic Park. Think how thin the squad would've been without them. The Championship is not a profitable league for full-time teams, particularly one like ourselves with average gates of 1600-1700. The Cup run covered that and turned us profitable, which is great and a credit to the team - they've done the same again this season. So the point I was making was aimed at those who suggest we "can't afford" to play in the Premier League. Raith Rovers over the past four years have not been able to "afford" to play in the Championship, But look at us, we're managing....

I should point out none of that at all was aimed at the board, more what seems to me to be astoundingly something like a majority of the support who are happy to sit on their arse and wait for Rangers and Dunfermline. The board are doing a fine job - I'm not convinced they have to bring new players in this month, it'd be nice, but Grant Murray went with quality and not quantity in the summer. A decision I agree entirely with but if we end up with a mounting injury list, which sadly we have, then you suffer for it. We probably will bring in one or two players and I'll be happy if we do. We should have the funds to cover it despite an undoubted shortfall in home crowds.

In relation to a couple of your points. Yes, the benefit of a cup run for every club is the effect it has on finances, however we have to admit we got the luck of the draw last season (credit to the team for that - got to be in it to win it etc) and if we hadn't done, or if Spence hadn't rescued us late on at Airdrie, we'd have made yet another loss last season, despite yet more cuts to the playing budget. We couldn't really have cut much more if we're honest, and even the likes of Mensing, Watt, Smith all came in after we were drawn at Celtic Park. Think how thin the squad would've been without them. The Championship is not a profitable league for full-time teams, particularly one like ourselves with average gates of 1600-1700. The Cup run covered that and turned us profitable, which is great and a credit to the team - they've done the same again this season. So the point I was making was aimed at those who suggest we "can't afford" to play in the Premier League. Raith Rovers over the past four years have not been able to "afford" to play in the Championship, But look at us, we're managing....

Both your post, and Greenock Rovers make good sense.

Whilst I agree with most of what has been said are you suggesting here we are Full Time?

Surely not? A team which consists of half and half, or have I got it wrong? Jist askin', likes!!

Have a greenie!

Hope you don't think I'm criticising you Paco because, in reality, we have the same aspirations for our Club.

The combination of luck (good draws and results in the cups) AND good Management is what is required to keep us moving forward and we should never lose sight of the fact that it often requires lots of BOTH to do so in a controlled, measures and, hopefully, SECURE manner.

We are fortunate indeed to have people like T.H and Bert (and his staff) at RRFC. Both men understand the nature of the task at hand and can see the long term goals outweigh the short term glories that would require them to operate in a less thoughtful or prudent manner.

Be under no illusion though, IF what we can afford to operate with this season was to be good enough to achieve promotion then, regardless of who is appearing in The Championship next season would make no odds - we'd be up in the SPL.

The reality - as laid out to everyone at the beginning of the season - is that we are a part-time outfit with a few full timers to bolster us from being involved at the "wrong" end of this league. So far, its mission accomplished and we are on course for involvement in the play-offs, a Ramsdens Final against 'The Blue Vermin' (© Shull) and securing the Club financially.

From this sort of position the club can move forward again hopefully and I have no doubt we could be in even better shape to make the club stronger to the point where we would be genuine contenders to challenge either The Junior Jambos or SevCo.

And all that without threatening the clubs' future.

Win win no ? :)

We can afford to be promoted. We don't need undersoil heating anymore in the SPFL so there's a million quid automatically saved in comparison to this time last year. We turned a profit last season and we'll turn a profit this season, things are on the up for us if we play our cards right. What I will say though is the profits are as a result of cup runs. Does this mean we "can't afford" to be in the Championship? If Greig Spence hadn't scored in the 90th minute to equalise at Airdrie we probably wouldn't have turned a profit last season. If we'd lost as expected in Dingwall instead of winning 4-1 as well we definitely wouldn't have done. Profit is down to fortune in this division. The restructure will help but given we don't even have a fucking sponsor it won't help as much as thought, this season at least. Yes an outlay is required to go into the top division, but why are people so reluctant to speculate to accumulate? Don't go mental on players, watch the ground filled up by Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs, take the TV money, scrap it out with utter shite like Ross County, Partick Thistle, St Mirren, and take your chances. We might come down but if we do, try again. If we're sensible with player contracts it shouldn't cost a thing.

The Championship next season will be won by Rangers. The season after it'll probably be won by Hearts. Why are we so determined to stay in it? We'll turn a profit in this league next season, and probably the season after too but what the f**k is the point if we never have any ambition to go further.....

I apologise about the undersoil thing, i thought that was still apart of the deal, everything else you have said is 100% brilliant. We need to strengthen in defence as our long term injuries will almost scupper those chances for the play offs

Edited by baillieinleeds