The New Raith Rovers Thread

Terry Butcher, Jimmy Calderwood? Both fit the bill in terms of experience. Would we want them? Would the come to us as a number 2? Not seriously suggesting them just starting to throw some names out there.

Sir Jimmy of Raith?.......... :whistle

Going down the experience route is completely understandable, but not if it's someone who is just looking for a last pay-day to top up their pension.

I'd have no issues with them appointing a young guy looking to make their mark in the management game, who's potentially going to put more into it because he's desperate to work their way up.

Whatever they decide on, I just hope it's someone from outwith the club who can bring in some different ideas.

That said, if I was Laurie, I'd probably be champing at the bit for the step-up, so I can see it from his perspective as well.

I think it's very hard for fans/outsiders to know who's a good assistant manager or what they bring to the job. You'd hope we'll get someone in who's tactically strong and a motivator. You'd tend to think anyone like that would rather be, or is already, a no. 1 though.

Surely Ellis will just step up? No point in having 3 in the management team

That would be the sensible and cost effective option. Murray and Ellis are either up to the job, or they're not. If we need to get someone in to help them, this would indicate they can't do their jobs properly. In which case, pay them off and just hire a better management team.

This reads like a 'Murray Out' type post, but that wasn't my intention.

Is Frank Connor still available?

Just. He's nearly 80.

As for a Murray-Ellis combination I'd have my doubts with both being defenders. The defence hasnt been great under Murray so maybe Ellis could improve that but I dont see him introducing any style to our play, which is sadly lacking.

We played great football under him, so I was surprised at how badly Cowden have gone down recently. But now I think the real brains behind that Rovers team was Martin Harvey.

Now !!!!!

That was news 20 years ago.

Nicholl struggled till Harvey came along, and continue to struggle once he left his side.

We seriously need a Martin Harvey type coach to assist Bert, Sir Jimmy was f**k all without him. If Murray is to see out his contract, he needs experience behind him, someone he can learn from.

I didnt notice your post and comment about Harvey. Anyway, we agree.