The New Raith Rovers Thread

Playoff hopes well and truly buried.

On the plus side this season, there was no flirting with relegation.

Keep our defence, bring another experienced midfielder in for Callachan to develop alongside and get lucky with a striker and we might have a wee blast at the playoffs next season.

This is definitely the time to be getting things sorted for next season. We are one of the few teams who definitely know where they will be playing next season so time to start offering deals to the players worth keeping and phasing those who will be leaving out of the side. Hopefully we give a couple of the young lads some first team experience as well.

Edited by Martin Nelson

That should be the last we see of Barrie McKay in a Rovers shirt. No benefit to us to keep on picking him beyond this point.

Agreed. Didn't rate him anyway, but at least we had a purpose for him being here. Our season is over (definitely this time!), so any penny we give him is a penny we didn't need to spend. Let him return to Rangers.

Now for the difficult part of who we can afford to keep and who goes. There will have to be some adjustments, presumably, due to Hearts and possibly one of Hibs/Rangers not being in the league next season. Of course, trying to figure out who are our highest earners is pretty much guesswork. I'd guess the top three are Nade, Conroy and Cuthbert; only one of whom I'd definitely keep (Conroy) and one I'd let go (Cuthbert). I don't think Cuthbert is a bad player at all, but I don't think he's as good as McGurn and I don't think we can justify keeping him as number 2.

We should definitely be looking to get players tied up sooner rather than later, though.

I'm pretty convinced McGurn is going to sign for Morton in all honesty, I believe he trains there twice a week already. Think all three of the goalies will go and we'll get Letheren from Dundee and just use the 19s as back up.

Having thought about it, I'd move on Cuthbert, Fox, Moon, Elliott, Nade, Scott & Stewart, which would save us a small fortune in wages per week. Hopefully we can sign some players who aren't just from this league this time.

Surely not. McGurn has been great for the Rovers. Why would he sign for a 1st Div team?

Haven't a scooby. It might be a lot of bollocks as it came from a friend who apparently heard it from Wullie McGregor who I'd reckon might be privy to such information.

I'm pretty convinced McGurn is going to sign for Morton in all honesty, I believe he trains there twice a week already. Think all three of the goalies will go and we'll get Letheren from Dundee and just use the 19s as back up.

Having thought about it, I'd move on Cuthbert, Fox, Moon, Elliott, Nade, Scott & Stewart, which would save us a small fortune in wages per week. Hopefully we can sign some players who aren't just from this league this time.

I agree with offloading Cuthbert, Fox, Moon, Scott and Elliot. Nade and Stewart are both useful though so I wouldn't offload them unless we can get in another target man and a pacey striker to replace them..

Surely not. McGurn has been great for the Rovers. Why would he sign for a 1st Div team?

He trains with them through the week, as far as i am led to believe he only plays games with us. Naturally we'll be taking another step to being fully full time next season, and it probably makes sense that he'll go, as shite as that is.

I thought trained at Kinross with Wayne and the other keepers mid week?

I'd be disappointed if he went after us sticking by him through his injury (the least we could do) but I think he seems to have a grudge against Morton