The New Raith Rovers Thread

Unfortunately Calderon that's largely true.

In my opinion that's why in the long run the only true way to grow your fanbase is by getting the next generation through the turnstiles and doing so in large numbers.

With that in mind another option would be to get sponsorship (Asda, Morrisons or similar perhaps?) to bring in "X" amount of kids for free by giving free match tickets to schools and community groups (U10-U16 football teams?).

Giving away 1000 tickets for 2 or 3 home games would increase the gate (but without sponsorship admittedly not the cash flow) and might just encourage the next lot of fans. I'd estimate that around 30% of the current fanbase is in that age group and so that would potentially be an avenue for revenue abuse but even so given that my kids (and probably many more) are season ticket holders it couldn't be a total loss.

If from that 1000 a mere 5% brought another fan (adult or pal) with them it would further negate any loss and if at the end of the process we could gain 100-150 (and hopefully many more) new supporters then surely it'd prove a worthwhile exercise.

Of course a 1000 free tickets wouldn't mean 1000 extra at the games but even if only 60-70% took up the offer and 20% of them came back afterwards it'd surely still be well worth it.

If possible giving 50 free tickets to every primary and secondary school in Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes alone would do it, hell get Fife Region involved too, they do bugger all for us at present as it is!

I remember back in my primary school days during the Nichol era we had an event every Tuesday afternoon where a couple of the players would come to the school and we'd head to the Bevy to play football with them. It was great fun and once we left P7 to go to high school we'd all get made to stand in front of our parents and class mates and were asked what our favourite memory of primary school was and literally everyone would say getting to play football with the Rovers (this was during the glory years mind you). On top of that there was also one event I was lucky enough to attend when at primary school where several pupils from all primary schools in Fife would get the chance to go to Balwearie and play football with the team. We all met at Starks and got a tour of the ground and we were taken to Balwearie to have a training session with the players. This was on a Saturday morning and part of the experience was free entry to that afternoons game at Starks. Just never hear of stuff like that happening anymore.

Talking to Andy my next door neighbour and apparently the club do give some tickets way to groups, this is the reason why the crowd was announced as 1400 last week but seemed it busier. It'll also be why Glenrothes Ath got a mention from the stadium announcer as well I expect.

I still say doing t on a grander scale with decent sponsorship behind it would be better. Perhaps even a season long scheme with multiple sponsors all making a donation getting season long sponsorship on an big board (and on other media) and a set amount of games where they are the main sponsor (youth fan sponsor) with a few boards/banners up.

I remember back in my primary school days during the Nichol era we had an event every Tuesday afternoon where a couple of the players would come to the school and we'd head to the Bevy to play football with them. It was great fun and once we left P7 to go to high school we'd all get made to stand in front of our parents and class mates and were asked what our favourite memory of primary school was and literally everyone would say getting to play football with the Rovers (this was during the glory years mind you). On top of that there was also one event I was lucky enough to attend when at primary school where several pupils from all primary schools in Fife would get the chance to go to Balwearie and play football with the team. We all met at Starks and got a tour of the ground and we were taken to Balwearie to have a training session with the players. This was on a Saturday morning and part of the experience was free entry to that afternoons game at Starks. Just never hear of stuff like that happening anymore.

I was there too.... Still remember it, great day!

Edited by Geordie_Munrover

1,400 isn't a bad gate considering the league/opposition were facing week in week out.

Games against Dumbarton Alloa & Livi etc more could be done to get bigger crowds. Free tickets to local schools for example. I lost count the number of times I received free tickets for rovers games when I was at school. Don't really see it much now.

1,400 isn't a bad gate considering the league/opposition were facing week in week out.

Games against Dumbarton Alloa & Livi etc more could be done to get bigger crowds. Free tickets to local schools for example. I lost count the number of times I received free tickets for rovers games when I was at school. Don't really see it much now.

That's probably because your not at school anymore.

Talking to Andy my next door neighbour and apparently the club do give some tickets way to groups, this is the reason why the crowd was announced as 1400 last week but seemed it busier.

So do free tickets not count towards the attendance? I would have thought, for Health and Safety reasons alone, the attendance would have to be the number of punters in the stadium?

Yeah I went to Dysart Primary, and remember this also, a wee packed lunch and kick about with the players on a Saturday morning at BHS, it was excellent!!

They should totally bring this back, even just trial run it for a few weeks, can only be a positive. Also gets kids off their arse and off the X-Boxes. I'm only 27, but sound like 67 saying that haha!!

Anyone catch oor Laurie on the STV news a short while ago? He was picking up his kid from school in Edinburgh when he was asked his thoughts on parents who tell fibs to get their kids into their preferred school outside their catchment area. :)

^^ doesn't support Raith Rovers ^^

always going to be a small number where circumstances dictate

yep saw him Bobby,more to the point what time did he bunk aff from training that he was in Edinburgh to pick up his bairn from school,there's me thinking rovers well full time :wink:

Edited by Rovers_Lad

The club are working pretty hard on community initiatives as the articles on the website testify. It's also fair to say that there's more direct effort going in to getting more punters through the gates. The event for kids at the QoS game being an example of that. I know that there are other initiatives to get fans back in the pipeline and there has been quite a bit of investment in the South Stand concourse to improve the match day experience. Ultimately though, it's what happens on the park that is key to getting people to keep coming back. Thus far, McKinnon is doing a great job but the Kirkcaldy (and beyond) public are going to take a bit of convincing given previous false dawns.

Some ideas will work, some won't. It is, though, good to see the club trying things because for years we seemed to do nothing.

FWIW I always thought a player should be linked to an individual Primary School in Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes and should help with training with their school team a couple of times and hand out tickets every now and again. They could turn up at a tournament (if stuff like that happens) to support the school team. You might create a bit of rivalry between the players as well as the schools. As has been said before by a few people, who are posting here so are presumably fans, it's things like this that you remember from school. Stuff like that creates fans in my mind.

In fairness, one thing I'll say about the club is that at the moment every other article on the website or twitter is some of the players visiting some of the local clubs and their training.

Yep we seem to be sending players out to one of the local boys club at least once a week at the moment. I'm sure they will be given some tickets as well. We seem to be much more visible this season than in recent years.

The Major points from this weeks FFP..

As well as being the only senior team in Britain to not concede a league goal at home, Ray's also got 2 other records to break by beating Morton this week. To be the first Rovers manager since 1933 to win his first five home league games in charge. Also to break an even longer record of winning 7 home games in all national competitions in a row which hasn't been done since 1907.

Ross Callachan and Craig Barr have both started training this week and hope to be fit for the match day squad for after the international break.

There has been no contact whatsoever from Dundee United for Mckinnon despite what reporters are claiming, according to Drysdale.

Ray has also been focusing on another signing this week but the only way it'll come to anything is down to external factors..

Alot of good news this week anyway. Lets hope the team can deliver another piece of good news come 16:50 on Saturday.

Edited by Rovers1992/1993

Well, it would appear that kev23 knows me and has decided I am not a Rovers fan.....all these memories of games attended over these last 48 years are just dreams.....was heading down Sat for only my second game of the season but may just keep my cash in my pocket and watch rugby on telly instead :-)

The news in the FFP is all excellent.

Signing: winger or striker you would think? Perhaps one of the a loans that was depending on premiership squads settling in etc.

Injuries: having those two back, Cal especially, is a massive boost to our squad depth. As I hae said in previous posts, avoiding injuries is crucial to any chance we have of a play off spot.

Records: surely means we will bottle it haha! Hopefully not though, in Ray Mac we trust!

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL