The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think of the board introduced a pay what you want match, we would hardly see a difference, it's that bad.

It is disappointing as the players do deserve to have the south stand packed with the way we have started, particularly at home. But as others have said, times have changed and although football is bigger than it's ever been, the exposure to basically any game on the planet on your tele at home means Hardly any one is bothered about going to actual games down Links street.

I'm not sure what else the board can do. Kids in free with a payable adult may boost the crowd for that particular match, but probably wouldn't encourage a return on the back of one single match, however the Rovers played.

I listen to Kingdom FM most days as I commute, and although the Rovers were advertised last season, this season has been non existent. I've only ever heard adverts for the Pars and that Ice hockey mob.

This season has been a breath of fresh air so far, some matches, as my dad would say was a bit like the emporer's new clothes (Stenhousemuir most notably) but other than that it has been enjoyable going back to the football again this season.

Last season there wasn't a sense of connection between the players and fans, but it's totally different this season. Guys like Toshney and Benedictus have definitely added to that, and even a return to form for Cuthbert has led many fans warming to him as well. Obviously the manager has played a big part as well in rebuilding the relationship between the club and the fans. His interviews never really sound the same, and the way he speaks about the club with nothing being held back is good, honesty goes a long way. He also knows and reacts to situations when we aren't playing well. Classic example was Matthews for McCord at half time on Saturday. Came out and admitted that McCord wasn't up to the standard, and that's why he made the change. That would have been the change I would have made at half time as well, and I wouldn't have been the only one in the stand thinking the same either.

Our run at home won't last forever, but if we actually manage to win more than we lose at Starks this season then that's a good thing to work towards. Consistency is definitely the magic word.

Ice hockey :lol:

Do people actually choose that over the football? :lol:

Yes. I personally know 2 people who have given up on Rovers and now go to the Flyers instead. Them and their kids prefer the Flyers.

Edited by Scary Bear

Anyone who doubts ice hockey has an impact should go and have a look at Fife Flyers' attendances and compare them with our own.

That they are are playing the best teams in Britain (and by all accounts performing well) rather than provincial town dross that they humped for years might have something to do with it, right enough, but we can only dream of those numbers.

Ice hockey :lol:

Do people actually choose that over the football? :lol:

The flyers are averaging about 2,200 every night they are at home. Like it's been mentioned it's more family orientated and for a family of 4 let's say to go Starks park and then the FIA you're talking way over £100 when you add in food and drinks so they settle for one or the other and unfortunately for us it seems to be the ice hockey that's winning. Another thing that pulls people in to the hockey is that you can drink before, in between periods and after which for a Saturday night is perfect for people that might head down the town after. If only our commercial side clicked on and struck up a deal with them like the pars did a couple of seasons ago. 1400 seems to be our average crowd at home and probably will be all season apart from games against Rangers and Hibs regardless of how we are playing. So to answer that question yeah, about 800-1000 more people prefer the hockey to watching us on a Saturday.

Tbf, the Flyers don't have to contend with having two teams which utterly suck the life out of club football in their own country. Nor do they have giants of the sport down South, or across Europe. They're very much a novelty. People might watch NHL occasionally, but they'll see Flyers as their own. For a lot of people Rovers will be second on a list.

I alway find it quite strange when Rovers fans are completely dismissive of the Flyers. As a fan of both, I understand the hockey isn't for everyone. However there is no getting away from the fact it is the number 1 sport in Kirkcaldy at the minute and will probably be for the foreseeable future. A core home support of 2000+ for a team that plays a home game nearly every week is remarkable for a team that was in no mans land 5 years ago.

I alway find it quite strange when Rovers fans are completely dismissive of the Flyers. As a fan of both, I understand the hockey isn't for everyone. However there is no getting away from the fact it is the number 1 sport in Kirkcaldy at the minute and will probably be for the foreseeable future. A core home support of 2000+ for a team that plays a home game nearly every week is remarkable for a team that was in no mans land 5 years ago.

You're completely correct. The problem is that the success of the Flyers has a definite negative impact on the Rovers, so for that selfish reason I'd rather they hired the ice hockey version of Grant Murray as their coach.

You're completely correct. The problem is that the success of the Flyers has a definite negative impact on the Rovers, so for that selfish reason I'd rather they hired the ice hockey version of Grant Murray as their coach.

They have. He's been the coach for 10 years though so his position seems pretty safe regardless of performances. The majority of flyers fans will still attend though as long as they are in the top league.

They are watching the best players in Britain as well - it does not get any better in UK ice hockey. It was a different story for the flyers when they couldn't offer that.

Football, however, gets a lot better than what we can offer. It is, sadly, a big factor.

That was the Rovers attitude when the Flyers came calling. Dunfermline got a slice of the cake instead. Shame.

I would have absolutely gone for that deal. It was clearly mutually beneficial. There is however a correlation between Flyers and Rovers attendances. I wonder if more now choose to go to the Flyers over the Rovers than go on a coach to see one of the OF. We have to accept we're in direct competition with them for punters and we have to do better.

If the Flyers went bust tomorrow I'd be delighted. It could only be good for the rovers. I know many Rovers fans support the Flyers but I've only been to two games over 10 years ago and never been encouraged back and perhaps not being from Kirkcaldy I don't have the 'emotional connection' others might, and ultimately I care for ice hockey about as much as I care for cricket.

Edited by Enigma

They are watching the best players in Britain as well - it does not get any better in UK ice hockey. It was a different story for the flyers when they couldn't offer that.

Football, however, gets a lot better than what we can offer. It is, sadly, a big factor.

Yeah, in a league with no relegation and where all but a couple of teams reach the vaunted play offs. It's certainly a low pressure spectacle. The americanisation, the fact that it is a relatively novel thing (not every town does it, aren't we special) and away trips to places outside of Scotland are the huge attractions I'd guess.

Folk follow success. Our last big crowd bump came in 10/11 when we came close to winning the league. We were playing fairly agricultural football, but folk turned up as we turned teams over. Same with the hockey, not many folk have a huge appreciation for the technical merits of the game, but top tier sport (even if you were invited, and can't fail by the objective measure of dropping out of that tier for being shite) is a draw. Winning is the biggest draw.

It'll be a while before folk in Kirkcaldy take notice of the Rovers again.

Edited by renton