The New Raith Rovers Thread

Another poor crowd today. 100 down in our last home game despite beating St Mirren away and running Celtic relatively close. Disappointing.

You say that though, I thought the South Stand was a lot busier today! Maybe a free tickets "thing", I'm not sure but I thought there was about 1800 there today; circa 100 Dumbarton fans, circa 100 fans in the Main, and approx 1600 in the South Stand. Deffo more than the 1450 or whatever it was reported.

Must admit though, home games we are still quiet, but I don't know if that's just down to the away day enjoyment that's going about just now.

Toshney and Bene?! Glad they're doing well but must admit surprised they're doing that well as a pairing that they're being loved by the Raith support. They're decent as a Championship pair goes but mid table would be the max I'd expect from them two, never anything higher and never anyone raving about them on a forum.

Still young lads though.

Not outwith the realms of possibility that they have become a lot better since leaving Dundee.

They've been excellent so far.

Toshney and Bene?! Glad they're doing well but must admit surprised they're doing that well as a pairing that they're being loved by the Raith support. They're decent as a Championship pair goes but mid table would be the max I'd expect from them two, never anything higher and never anyone raving about them on a forum.

Bene adds a lot of threat through set pieces. He's currently our top scorer, but has also had an impact through his headers either creating a goalscoring chance (like Toshney today) or where the ball has come out the box and it has fallen to Jimmy Craigen who seems to like a goal from distance. Defensively, the only thing which lets him down is you can see him getting frustrated at times. The lad loves a yellow card.

Toshney is an absolute machine. He's fantastic at tackling and judging what he needs to do. He also seems to have a habit of picking up injuries and looking like he'll miss a game, before coming back the next week and not missing a step. You can tell they've given massive confidence to both McKeown (who is also young, but has really come into his own next to them) and to Cuthbert (who is like a new signing).

Last season our defence was characterised by uncertainty and getting rid by any means possible. So far this season we've looked completely different. It's delightful for our fans so far.

They've been outstanding so far. Even drew some praise from Celtic fans for our defensive performance there last week.

Andy C, on 26 Sept 2015 - 23:40, said:

Still young lads though.

Not outwith the realms of possibility that they have become a lot better since leaving Dundee.

They've been excellent so far.

Bene didn't look like he'd get much better tbh. He seemed to be a decent brute but very limited (He's got a great strike on him though as you can see by the video).

Glad they are doing well though, liked the both of them.

Definitely a better atmosphere today as well, still quiet though.!

Must admit though, home games we are still quiet, but I don't know if that's just down to the away day enjoyment that's going about just now.

I think we need a drum section. :bounce3:bounce3:bounce3:bounce3

Yeah, the attendances aren't great and the board must be wondering what else they can do. People have always said that only good football and winning matches would bring fans back, but we're getting both just now and we still can't even muster 1500 home fans.

Yeah, the attendances aren't great and the board must be wondering what else they can do. People have always said that only good football and winning matches would bring fans back, but we're getting both just now and we still can't even muster 1500 home fans.

It'll take time. Tbh, by and large the population of Kirkcaldy are fickle and generally don't care unless it's a larger event. People will sit and moan about the prices even when the club try to add in as many community events as possible. It's a difficult task. Hopefully, seeing the club further up the league as you say will see people come back but I get the feeling it will be a bit down the line before we see the impact.

From the clubs side of things, they've not put a foot wrong so far.

It'll take time. Tbh, by and large the population of Kirkcaldy are fickle and generally don't care unless it's a larger event. People will sit and moan about the prices even when the club try to add in as many community events as possible. It's a difficult task. Hopefully, seeing the club further up the league as you say will see people come back but I get the feeling it will be a bit down the line before we see the impact.

From the clubs side of things, they've not put a foot wrong so far.

I remember a few years ago the flyers and the Pars teamed up and done a deal where if you bought one season ticket you got the other for cheap. The rovers should look at doing this as apparently Kirkcaldy is an "ice hockey town" now- And to be fair I've seen loads of posters around the town and at the train station promoting the hockey. But I'm sure there are people out there who support both teams and if they could afford it they would attend both the football and the hockey. I actually went to the flyers the other week and I must admit it was a good atmosphere. To the people of Kirkcaldy I suppose it's something different as it's very americanised (signing the national anthem before the start etc haha it was pretty cringey). Anyway I feel that both clubs could perhaps work together around the community and promote eachother so to speak.

They'll come eventually if we keep winning and keep within the play off spots as the season wears on. I think we should do a 8-10 game season ticket, valid for any home game, a season ticket for the less dedicated if you will, and make it actually worth getting, a decent discount. I know a few clubs in France do it.

It takes time, unfortunately. You won't get results overnight and as HIT THE CHANNEL has pointed out, it's easier to lose fans than win them back.

One major factor is indeed price, and I sympathise in this regard. the club can't afford to lower the prices as we'll lose money, but equally the price does put people off. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't where price is concerned, but I have to say that when the club does try and lowers the prices, the uptake is not exactly great. We are not in a situation where we can risk taking a 'speculate to accumulate' approach.

Further to the above, our attendances have a significant impact on the calibre of player that we can attract, and better players would probably get more fans in as the results would improve. Even an extra 200 per week would make a big difference to us.

If we can keep things up over the season, I am however confident that things will improve.

I think we need a drum section.

Drumming is the last thing we need. The racket from the tannoy before the game prevents the crowd from creating any sort of atmosphere. The days of hurling insults and singing provocative songs before the game are now over. Hilarious insults and obscene rants have disappeared. Chatting to your mates becomes impossible and drumming is as effective at encouraging the players as sending half a dozen jet fighters over the stadium. Watching a seagull on the pitch has been the only stimulant to crowd reaction I've seen recently.

I think the rein of grant Murray has scunnered a few fans and his brand of football was appalling at times, I think if the current level of performance continues more fans will start to come back. My mate who hasn't been for a few seasons liked what he saw and will be back again . Also someone mentioned he thought the crowd was higher than the official attendance I too thought the same because it looked like there was more bums on seats than against Queens.

Drumming is the last thing we need. The racket from the tannoy before the game prevents the crowd from creating any sort of atmosphere. The days of hurling insults and singing provocative songs before the game are now over. Hilarious insults and obscene rants have disappeared. Chatting to your mates becomes impossible and drumming is as effective at encouraging the players as sending half a dozen jet fighters over the stadium. Watching a seagull on the pitch has been the only stimulant to crowd reaction I've seen recently.

You obviously weren't in the North Stand at the QOS game, The Second half, the stand was shouting out to the drum beat,

I see that after Palace beating Watford today that Rovers are now the only team in the English and Scottish football leagues not to have conceded a home league goal.

All credit to Ray, the coaching staff and team for the fantastic start.

I'm actually looking forward to going to see us each week now which is stark contrast to the past 3 years.