The New Raith Rovers Thread

So that's basically an entire new midfield we need, plus half a new forward line. If we can get Watson to sign on, we'll still need more cover for centre back.

Guessing Hill wasn't so much 'released' as turned down any offer we made him, he's more than good enough for this level and would surely be a great signing for either Dumbarton or Alloa, would certainly do a job for the Pars.

Wee bit sad to seem him go.

As for Moon and Elliot, obviously both are good players at this level, but you couldn't retain Elliot just on the fact that his injury record is horrendous for last season. Still think Moon would have been useful for us.

Hill never had any offer from rovers to turn down and yes the pars are interested in him, well big potter made contact with him.

Hill never had any offer from rovers to turn down and yes the pars are interested in him, well big potter made contact with him.

I got told something a wee bit different but happy to take your word for it.

Definitely still is. Good positioning, great in the air, pretty mobile for a centre half as well. Held back by injuries in pre-season last year and was latterly edged out of the team by Barr, who was good but you suspect got in front of Hill because Hill, as a part timer very rarely trained with the team. No coincidence that our uptick in form from Christmas was partly due to Hill replacing that utter non-footballer Ross Perry in the team.

Cheers, sounds ideal for us really but I guess it's down to Aitken now.

Dougie Hill will be the first name on your team sheet every week if he were to sign for you. That's a guarantee. His performance in the Ramsdens Final was something special. He is prone to a few mistakes, but so is everybody. I would have certainly kept him on..

He'll have a bit of work getting into the side if he does sign. Andy Graham is the first name on our team sheet (captain and last years POTY) and Buchanan was signed within a day of Aitken being in the job so I expect him to be a first pick too. Competition is healthy though.

Kevin Cuthbert is a waste of squad place, tbh. Unless he's on a two year deal there is absolutely no rationale for keeping him - he wasn't very good and is probably a higher earner. Even if he did have a two year deal, I'd tell him he could leave if he could find another club. With him staying, talking to Laidlaw makes no sense at all; we don't need three goalkeepers.

It's a shame to see Hill depart. I honestly don't think Barr demonstrated much, if any, of an improvement and he is a capable player at this level. He's had his rash moments, but has overall been a very good servant to the club. Hopefully Paul Watson signs on or we are going to have difficulty replacing two very good CBs.

The rest is spot on. You can make a case for Kevin Moon, who I do feel was hampered last year by his disrupted pre-season and never really got going. However, he had a poor season and his release is justified.

I was actually going to ask if you felt he could do a job for us, I imagine we'll have Andy Graham and Gregor Buchanan as our centre halves but having Hill there would be decent if he's still up to the task.

Agree with what others have said, Hill is a brilliant player at this level, his bravery and sheer passion for the game is on another level & he will forever be remembered (in my eyes) for a "warrior" like performance Vs Sports Direct FC in that cup final ! ... Unfortunately it just seems we want to move onto a FT squad in which he won't want to go FT ! Definitely still a quality player for anyone who snaps him up !

I loved Dougie Hill but I think people are over egging his abilities a little. I wouldn't describe him as a 'brilliant' player. He was prone to mistakes and isn't the quickest. Also had a very poor disciplinary record although he seemed to have turned the corner a bit on that one. Yes, he was immense in the Ramsdens and a very likeable player but based on performances Barr for me is a much better and stronger option. Bates is apparently a decent player and could operate as back up.

On the lists I'm glad that Anderson has been retained. A wee bit sad to see Nade, Moon and Hill go. Would like to see Watson stay.

Edited by roverthemoon

Hill has given us the best years of his career and mostly done pretty well for us. He's due a lot of credit, I'm a bit sad to see him go but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not the right decision. Much the same was true of Allan Walker a couple of years back.

Other than that the only ones I raised half an eyebrow at were Cuthbert and Moon. Not saying I have a problem with either, though I might have given Moon another season to see if he could regain the form he didn't have this year. But if the McCord rumours are true then he's probably a better option, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if Moon went back to Alloa to replace him.

I hope Watson signs but I'm not going to lose any sleep if he doesn't. Laidlaw might still make a fine 'keeper yet, he's got all the attributes and he's a good bit younger than - for example - McGurn was when he established himself. So I'd be perfectly happy to see him sign if he's going to be loaned out somewhere for the season. Though I'd understand if he didn't want a contract on that basis.

If the rumour is true and Ryan does move to Starks Park, any chance you won't 'surgically' remove his footballing skills as you did with Moon and Elliott? :oops

Does your club have a love affair with pinching our playres then ruining them, Hill being the exception. :batman

If the rumour is true and Ryan does move to Starks Park, any chance you won't 'surgically' remove his footballing skills as you did with Moon and Elliott? :oops

Does your club have a love affair with pinching our playres then ruining them, Hill being the exception. :batman

No way in hell I'm believing big "Clum" ever had any abilities apart from being a fairy and rolling about like a f***y .... :P

Elliot may have looked like Messi in League 1 but there is massive gulf in ability needed for championship level. Moon is a decent player at this level, but since his injury hasn't been the same player apart from the Scottish cup win against Rangers where he had Nicky Law in his back pocket the whole game. It wouldn't have bothered me if we kept Moon, as he was one of our best players the first year with us, and would have hoped he could find that sort of form again..

Rob Sloan did reasonably well for us too.

I'd have kept Moon if the medical staff had given good news - he was prone before us though and lost most of this season to it too. We just can't afford the gamble if he's expected to be similar in the long run. He was the reason we won at Ibrox though. Sensational performance.

Hill I'm sorry to see go, toss of a coin between him and Barr to be honest. Cuthbert I can't believe is staying, hopefully he only plays if McGurn is injured.

The rest is as expected. Pleased in particular to see Anderson stay, I always feel like someone like Falkirk or maybe even Ross County/Partick may take a punt at him in the hope of improving his end product. Happy enough to see Nade leave, albeit he was far from bad.

McCord/Petrie/McAusland? Meh.

I'd have kept Moon if the medical staff had given good news - he was prone before us though and lost most of this season to it too. We just can't afford the gamble if he's expected to be similar in the long run. He was the reason we won at Ibrox though. Sensational performance.

Hill I'm sorry to see go, toss of a coin between him and Barr to be honest. Cuthbert I can't believe is staying, hopefully he only plays if McGurn is injured.

The rest is as expected. Pleased in particular to see Anderson stay, I always feel like someone like Falkirk or maybe even Ross County/Partick may take a punt at him in the hope of improving his end product. Happy enough to see Nade leave, albeit he was far from bad.

McCord/Petrie/McAusland? Meh.

McAusland looks like he's going to St Johnstone going by their twitter..

So if McCord comes in and Watson signs on we're still looking at what another 6 players? Still to come in

Full back

2 wingers

Centre mid

2 strikers

That's with Matthews and Bates in at CH and CM or is another 6 on top on McCord and Watson too optimistic?