The New Raith Rovers Thread

Quite happy we picked up McCord. While he might not have been at his best last season, I'm hoping pre-season and going full time will help us get the best of him. It will certainly be interesting seeing him alongside Callaghan. So far, we've got a decent amount of pace. Interesting that McKinnon pointed to Petrie's versatility as a big reason as why he brought him in.

Looking forward to seeing how things pan out from here.

Quite happy we picked up McCord. While he might not have been at his best last season, I'm hoping pre-season and going full time will help us get the best of him. It will certainly be interesting seeing him alongside Callaghan. So far, we've got a decent amount of pace. Interesting that McKinnon pointed to Petrie's versatility as a big reason as why he brought him in.

Looking forward to seeing how things pan out from here.

he does seem to have a set direction he wants to go in regarding types of players - younger, certainly, more mobile, less set in their ways as well, perhaps.

We want to bring the age of the squad down to compliment the players that are here. We’re hoping to add some youth, energy, hunger and pace into the team

Exactly what needed to be done. We really lacked any sort of pace at times during last season and it was only when Stewart, Anderson and Vaughan were involved at the same time that we looked to have something. I remember the first game against Rangers at Starks last season when we lost 4-0 and we were so one-paced it was frightening. Christ we had Jimmy Scott playing right wing!

We see him as a good foil for Ross Callachan in there, and full-time football can bring the best out of him

Another good sign. You could almost sense that Callachan was trying to do the work of 2 players last season when he was alongside Fox or Moon. I wonder if we could even end up going with 3 in centre midfield.

Also mention of his backroom staff being announced shortly. Interesting to see who that will be. There was mention of it being Grant Johnston (ex Dundee Utd) who was his assistant at Brechin but I'd be amazed if it was with him being a partner in Thorntons Solicitors in Dundee.

All in all though more good signs for the way McKinnon wants to take us forward.

Exactly what needed to be done. We really lacked any sort of pace at times during last season and it was only when Stewart, Anderson and Vaughan were involved at the same time that we looked to have something. I remember the first game against Rangers at Starks last season when we lost 4-0 and we were so one-paced it was frightening. Christ we had Jimmy Scott playing right wing!

Another good sign. You could almost sense that Callachan was trying to do the work of 2 players last season when he was alongside Fox or Moon. I wonder if we could even end up going with 3 in centre midfield.

Also mention of his backroom staff being announced shortly. Interesting to see who that will be. There was mention of it being Grant Johnston (ex Dundee Utd) who was his assistant at Brechin but I'd be amazed if it was with him being a partner in Thorntons Solicitors in Dundee.

All in all though more good signs for the way McKinnon wants to take us forward.

I think McKinnon had Brechin playing an attacking 4-2-3-1 for a while, which would be interesting to see - definitely a formation that requires a lot of mobility and intelligence to carry off. You could have McCord and Callachan as the 2 man pivot, Stewart as the one up with Vaughan behind (which is basically how they play together anyway).

Very good interview there in the FFP by McKinnon, in particular the quotes mentioned above about bringing the age of the squad down, bringing in some freshness and also the fact he literally said Callachan will be for sure 1st choice CM next season (I know we released a tonne so it looked that way anyway, but nice to hear the same thoughts/support from McKinnon to what the fans think !) ...

A Callachan/McCord CM partnership & a Vaughan/Stewart ST partnership are certainly 2 that I look forward to seeing next season ... I'm 50/50 on the whole backline still tbh and I still would like a FB (even for cover so Thomson/McKeown know they won't be first choice every week, it may perhaps perk them up a bit) and CB to come in, add in a Winger or 2 and I think our squad looks pretty good for the forthcoming season !

A Callachan/McCord CM partnership & a Vaughan/Stewart ST partnership are certainly 2 that I look forward to seeing next season ... I'm 50/50 on the whole backline still tbh and I still would like a FB (even for cover so Thomson/McKeown know they won't be first choice every week, it may perhaps perk them up a bit) and CB to come in, add in a Winger or 2 and I think our squad looks pretty good for the forthcoming season !

McKinnon mentions Petrie as being able to play left back so I reckon we're covered there. I'm not sure we could have to cover Thomson at right back. Matthews did play there during pre-season but he already said in an interview at season end that he'd a midfielder. Having said that he could provide cover.

We're clearly still short. Whilst it's clear McKinnon wants to utilise youth and I think we're all for that, having Bates as our only cover at centre back (presuming Watson signs on again) is worrying so I reckon that's an area he's looking to strengthen. Hill was perfect cover but I get the feeling he wanted to be guaranteed first team football and clearly we couldn't offer that.

Another striker is a must, as is a left winger but I've got complete trust in McKinnon that he knows what he's doing. I always got the feeling Murray never quite knew who and why to sign players but McKinnon has clearly identified key areas and targets and that is already an improvement on the last few seasons.

McKinnon mentions Petrie as being able to play left back so I reckon we're covered there. I'm not sure we could have to cover Thomson at right back. Matthews did play there during pre-season but he already said in an interview at season end that he'd a midfielder. Having said that he could provide cover.

We're clearly still short. Whilst it's clear McKinnon wants to utilise youth and I think we're all for that, having Bates as our only cover at centre back (presuming Watson signs on again) is worrying so I reckon that's an area he's looking to strengthen. Hill was perfect cover but I get the feeling he wanted to be guaranteed first team football and clearly we couldn't offer that.

Another striker is a must, as is a left winger but I've got complete trust in McKinnon that he knows what he's doing. I always got the feeling Murray never quite knew who and why to sign players but McKinnon has clearly identified key areas and targets and that is already an improvement on the last few seasons.

Yeah, assuming Watson signs back up I'd hope we'd still be in the market for a first team ready centre back, a left winger, maybe another centre midfielder or winger cover and a couple of strikers.

I disagree. I would rather have Laidlaw in goal ahead of Cuthbert..

No you wouldn't, Laidlaw was throwing in one a game before he was taken out the team.

No you wouldn't, Laidlaw was throwing in one a game before he was taken out the team.

Cuthbert had the worst goals:game ratio out of the 3 of them by quite some distance.. I would rather play our own youngster to try and develop him than play a 30 year old keeper that cant keep them out either.. Edited by Rovers1992/1993

Cuthbert had the worst goals:game ratio out of the 3 of them by quite some distance.. I would rather play our own youngster to try and develop him than play a 30 year old keeper that cant keep them out either..

If Laidlaw is ours then who's is Cuthbert?

Laidlaw was a total bombscare, Cuthbert hasn't been very good since joining but at least he has proven in the past to be a good keeper at this level

We can't keep slating every goalkeeper who has the temerity to start ahead of McGurn

He IS ok and better than Laidlaw

I'm honestly not, I didn't have any real issues with Robinson, for example, but Cuthbert did not look great at the end of the season there (rustiness may play a part) but then his technique for the two goals vs Hearts seemed deliberate and honestly, contributed to the loss of those goals.